StromTrooper banner

Practicing In The Parking Lot This Morning - Might've Broke My Foot

3365 50
I was practicing well all morning with slow-speed maneuvers and, just before leaving, decided to do some more rolling full-lock U-turns. I drove back in 3rd gear to the parking spots that I use to do these, downshifting to 1st as I approached the first one. Only I wasn't in 1st - I was in Neutral and didn't realize it.

So I eased in at about 8 mph or so and delved into a rolling full-lock U-turn to the right. I had my RPMs up and clutch feathering but by the time I was exiting and needing that that power, it was too late and the bike was on top of me. My right foot was trapped under the bike and I had a hell of a time getting it out.

It hurt like hell but I checked it by moving in all directions and moving my toes and thought maybe it's just banged up with no broken bones. It was in good enough shape to fail twice at lifting it the (Youtube Robert Simmons Bermuda motor officer's way) and had to lift it by "backing" it up. My foot felt fair at this point but I could tell it was swelling inside my boot. Managed to drive about 5-6 miles back home and get my boot off. I might have some of those fine bones in the top instep fractured, or maybe somewhere else.

Leg Human body Wood Comfort Barefoot

I guess when momma gets home we'll have to head up to the hospital for some X-rays.
  • Sad
Reactions: Gert and PlugnPlay
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,607 Posts
Hopefully you are healed up soon. Sounds awful being pinned by a vstrom

Reactions: StretchNM

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gerald Champion is in Alamogordo, @Wee van Cleef , so you might've gone to another in El Paso. Now, there is William Beaumont Army Medical in El Paso. Went there more than once growing up. Maybe that one?
I worked with a guy in California named Richard "Dick" Foote.

Looking at that diagram that @Big Boy provided, it could be anything from the Talus, Cuboid, and Navicular on down through the Metatarsals.

Momma's home from trabajo. I told her to just go ahead and eat some supper and then we'll head over to Gerald Champion hospital.

After the fall and after I got the bike off my foot, everything was moving but sore, and I could walk, with some pain, through the whole range of motions. But I could feel the swelling coming on. So I just checked it with my wife. Best I can tell it hasn't swollen much if any more since I took the picture I posted, and that was over 2-1/2 hours ago. So, we'll see.

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hopefully you are healed up soon. Sounds awful being pinned by a vstrom
I've dropped it a few times. Always at a stop or nearly so. This is the first time I've been pinned. It tool three tries with my left foot to force it off. Thinking you've got the power to the rear wheel that you need, and leaning into a full lock turn, then finding there's nothing there but asphalt, you just don;t have time for anything.

EDITED TO ADD: About a month ago during a warm late afternoon, I was cruising through this nice, quaint little neighborhood in a neighboring town. I pulled up to a 4-way stop in 1st gear (so I thought). There was a large cool-looking building on my right and there was no traffic anywhere. I was just admiring the building and then decided to make my right turn. Eased out the clutch, gave it a little throttle, and picked my feet up like always. Boom. Down on the right side. Bike was in Neutral. But it was a slow drop where you have time to take your right foot off the peg and you have your leg out there helping, but the inertia wins and down it goes. It's a damn heavy bike, as everyone knows. Within a few seconds a guy pulls up in a pick-up and stops to help. A Harley biker. They seem always to be there when you need them. Weird.

Reactions: bobbyvstrom

·
Registered
2008 V-Strom DL1000
98 Posts
I was practicing well all morning with slow-speed maneuvers and, just before leaving, decided to do some more rolling full-lock U-turns. I drove back in 3rd gear to the parking spots that I use to do these, downshifting to 1st as I approached the first one. Only I wasn't in 1st - I was in Neutral and didn't realize it.

So I eased in at about 8 mph or so and delved into a rolling full-lock U-turn to the right. I had my RPMs up and clutch feathering but by the time I was exiting and needing that that power, it was too late and the bike was on top of me. My right foot was trapped under the bike and I had a hell of a time getting it out.

It hurt like hell but I checked it by moving in all directions and moving my toes and thought maybe it's just banged up with no broken bones. It was in good enough shape to fail twice at lifting it the (Youtube Robert Simmons Bermuda motor officer's way) and had to lift it by "backing" it up. My foot felt fair at this point but I could tell it was swelling inside my boot. Managed to drive about 5-6 miles back home and get my boot off. I might have some of those fine bones in the top instep fractured, or maybe somewhere else.

View attachment 309417

I guess when momma gets home we'll have to head up to the hospital for some X-rays.
Gerald Champion is in Alamogordo, @Wee van Cleef , so you might've gone to another in El Paso. Now, there is William Beaumont Army Medical in El Paso. Went there more than once growing up. Maybe that one?
I worked with a guy in California named Richard "Dick" Foote.

Looking at that diagram that @Big Boy provided, it could be anything from the Talus, Cuboid, and Navicular on down through the Metatarsals.

Momma's home from trabajo. I told her to just go ahead and eat some supper and then we'll head over to Gerald Champion hospital.

After the fall and after I got the bike off my foot, everything was moving but sore, and I could walk, with some pain, through the whole range of motions. But I could feel the swelling coming on. So I just checked it with my wife. Best I can tell it hasn't swollen much if any more since I took the picture I posted, and that was over 2-1/2 hours ago. So, we'll see.
Ouch! I dropped mine in the backyard doing the same thing. Now I realize that I spend about one tenth of one percent of my riding time doing low speed turns. Basically never. Therefor I don't see any reason to practice doing them. I saw a YouTube vid of a guy dragging his foot pegs while doing slow speed turns and I thought "why"? It's nonsense. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get well soon amigo!
Yes it was Beaumont. I had to wear a wooden shoe for a long time.
Thanks amigo. Problem is, my temporary motorcycle license expires Nov 20 and I have to take my driving test by then. I guess I'll start all over if I don;t heal up muy pronto. Judging by how I feel and how it looks right now - I'll be starting over.

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ouch! I dropped mine in the backyard doing the same thing. Now I realize that I spend about one tenth of one percent of my riding time doing low speed turns. Basically never. Therefor I don't see any reason to practice doing them. I saw a YouTube vid of a guy dragging his foot pegs while doing slow speed turns and I thought "why"? It's nonsense. Just my opinion.
Here's my thought process. I've been riding 2-wheel machines since I was a kid. Like most. I drove a GS650 around EL Paso for years, never giving a thought to slow-speed maneuvers or even the grave danger in intersections and elsewhere. I rode that bike with the same care as when you're driving your truck...normal. Never had to take a test and never even considered parking lot work.

But now.... now I drive with all the care you can muster or imagine. The low-speed stuff - full lock u-turns, figure 8s, higher speed u-turns (10-15 mph), emergency stops, 2-3mph balancing, all that stuff seems very important to me. During driving down the road, in traffic, in busy parking lots, etc., I can truly notice actual improvement in my skill and I attribute it to that work. But you're right - we rarely make full-lock u-turns, if ever. If we can't turn around in one sweep, we stop and do a 3 point turn. No big deal. I might be seeing the light as you did but I think I'll still find myself in the parking lots doing this or that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's my thought process. I've been riding 2-wheel machines since I was a kid. Like most. I drove a GS650 around EL Paso for years, never giving a thought to slow-speed maneuvers or even the grave danger in intersections and elsewhere. I rode that bike with the same care as when you're driving your truck...normal. Never had to take a test and never even considered parking lot work.

But now.... now I drive with all the care you can muster or imagine. The low-speed stuff - full lock u-turns, figure 8s, higher speed u-turns (10-15 mph), emergency stops, 2-3mph balancing, all that stuff seems very important to me. During driving down the road, in traffic, in busy parking lots, etc., I can truly notice actual improvement in my skill and I attribute it to that work. But you're right - we rarely make full-lock u-turns, if ever. If we can't turn around in one sweep, we stop and do a 3 point turn. No big deal. I might be seeing the light as you did but I think I'll still find myself in the parking lots doing this or that.
Wishing you a speedy recovery

·
Premium Member
2,607 Posts
What part of the bike was pushing down on you? How was it breaking free? I almost went down a couple of weeks ago in a remote setting. Like you , very slow speed . The bike was going to go down on a slight downhill. I can't imagine lifting it if it was facing downhill.

Reactions: StretchNM

·
Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All this pain and swelling in the foot and it's a BROKEN LITTLE TOE! It's at the base so this will cause some pain in the entire foot for a while, they say.

What part of the bike was pushing down on you? How was it breaking free? I almost went down a couple of weeks ago in a remote setting. Like you , very slow speed . The bike was going to go down on a slight downhill. I can't imagine lifting it if it was facing downhill.
Nicad, there's no way man. If that bike went down, tires uphill, no way anybody can lift that. I think I would try to spin it 180 degrees, event if it meant some scratches. Then you could get it up.

My foot was trapped between the footpeg and muffler, as best as I could tell during the melee. I pushed on the seat with my left foot and pulled at the same time and the third time was a charm. Pretty lucky am I - a 570 pound bike and all I suffered was a broken toe. Thank God.

Reactions: Nicad

·
Registered
997 Posts
Years of riding have taught me that even the best of us can have those odd ball, unexpected boo-boo's get us at the worse possible times. Hope you heal up and get better soon. Life will go on and the sun will come back up tomorrow. Take care and best of luck!

·
Premium Member
2,969 Posts
You're lucky if it's just the little toe phalange. I did a big toe cuneiform in the spring (slapshot off the skate playing hockey). It's still not right. That was crutches for over a month.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts