Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Heidenau K60

Votes: 4 57.1%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Curious about other's input on this: I'll be riding from Indiana out to the Pacific NW states in late June to spend a couple of weeks finding curves on NF roads, out in the country, and probably in a bit of rain.

Total trip will be around 7,000 miles, and requires a few thousand miles of interstate to get there and back since I'm not trailering. Once out there, I won't touch an interstate for the two weeks.

I currently have Michelin PR4's on the bike (Trail on the front) and have loved these tires on regular asphalt, in the rain, and for long distance riding on the Interstates. I have considered going with Heidenau K60s for this trip since once I get out there, I'll be riding lots of hard-pack dirt and gravel...which may get a little soupy if it's raining. I am not planning on doing any single-track, trails, or non traditional types of roads.

So question is...for this trip, if it were you...stay with the PR4s or throw on the K60s for what is planned? I'll even throw up a poll in case you don't want to post.

New set will be put on before departure and expected to last the 7K miles until I pull back into my driveway.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mastery, If you ride hard on asphalt the PR4's will be a better choice, especially if you're staying East of the Cascades. West of the Cascades it really doesn't dry out reliably until after the 4th of July.(think 12 million tent campers tempting fate) If you're coming into rain country the K60's will make riding forest roads a lot more enjoyable. my .02, Dave

·
Registered
702 Posts
I would loose too much using K60s (it rains out here). I prefer to use "street" tires most of the time. Most street tires do ok on gravel & dirt. When it gets deep & or wet I just slow down. K60s will perform better, no doubt, than PR4s in that situation. But the loss of wet tarmac traction isn't worth it to me. I've got miles to cover. I guess you could look at it from the other end. Slow down on wet tarmac & give it hell on dirt.
Oh what to do?
Look me up, I'll show you some good beer.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Since you don't want our input, stay with the pr4s.

K60s are bad on dry asphalt already.

Look mom, I'm on Tapatalk!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mastery, If you ride hard on asphalt the PR4's will be a better choice, especially if you're staying East of the Cascades. West of the Cascades it really doesn't dry out reliably until after the 4th of July.(think 12 million tent campers tempting fate) If you're coming into rain country the K60's will make riding forest roads a lot more enjoyable. my .02, Dave
Thanks Dave. I'll be on both sides of the Cascades but mostly on the east side. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But the loss of wet tarmac traction isn't worth it to me. I've got miles to cover. I guess you could look at it from the other end. Slow down on wet tarmac & give it hell on dirt.
Oh what to do?
Look me up, I'll show you some good beer.

Thanks for the input. Same thoughts I have had...both sets have their positives/negatives for this ride.

And, I'm planning to camp around Mt Hood for a night, so may just have to have a cold one with you. PM me your contact info when you get a chance :grin2:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you don't want our input, stay with the pr4s.

K60s are bad on dry asphalt already.

Look mom, I'm on Tapatalk!
Don't want any input? :confused:

Thanks for your input. Not heard that the K60s are bad on dry asphalt...what kind of problems were you having when you rode with them?

·
Administrator
17,403 Posts
I wouldn't go with either one, but I won't give my suggestions on what I would go with. ;)

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't go with either one, but I won't give my suggestions on what I would go with. ;)
That's fine. Trying to keep this thread from going into another one where somebody asks specifically about one or two products and the ten responses they get are of eight other products. :grin2:

·
Administrator
17,403 Posts
That's fine. Trying to keep this thread from going into another one where somebody asks specifically about one or two products and the ten responses they get are of eight other products. :grin2:
Sounds like the mileage folks are getting on the PR4 is all over the place, and you are limiting yourself to only just a few, when there are several others that I would highly recommend for your trip. :fineprint: But since you have asked......PR4's are what I would stick with.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sounds like the mileage folks are getting on the PR4 is all over the place, and you are limiting yourself to only just a few, when there are several others that I would highly recommend for your trip. :fineprint: But since you have asked......PR4's are what I would stick with.
I've had the Mitas E07 and wasn't impressed at all with them during the first 4K of the AK trip, the Shinkos aren't up to this type of speeds/distance, and the PR4's seem to do better than the Anakees in the wet. I have edited my original posting so as to get input for other brands that other may feel is a much better choice than the two I narrowed down to previously. Feel free to suggest something I'm obviously missing.:???:

·
Administrator
17,403 Posts
Original Metzler Tourance is an excellent choice, they wear like iron and handle pretty darn good too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm curious why you are thinking extremes on the tires; it's an adventure touring bike, (insert your objections here) and can't do dirt well unless you switch to K-60s. Most of prefer the 90/10 (Trailmax, A-40, Conti trail attack, etc) or better for you would be the 80/20 Shinko 705s. I've done gravel roads on street tires on a heavy bike, so anything is possible offroad as long as the road is dry.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Most of prefer the 90/10 (Trailmax, A-40, Conti trail attack, etc) or better for you would be the 80/20 Shinko 705s. I've done gravel roads on street tires on a heavy bike, so anything is possible offroad as long as the road is dry.
The road won't be dry for two straight weeks and I figure that to plan for it to be wet/soupy at times on the NF roads.

The issue is the mileage with the Shinko 705s, not sure they would last the distance of so many interstate miles there/back; I've read quite a few reports and it's all over the board on mileage capability of this tire...some as low as 5K before needing replaced. I know the PR4s and the K60s would last the distance with the mix of interstate and regular curve miles on the trip, which is why I narrowed down to those two.

Back to the Shinko tires, I have seen lots of feedback...either long distance riding or riding on the curves...but not a good report of that tire being used in one trip for many miles of each.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Don't want any input? :confused:

Thanks for your input. Not heard that the K60s are bad on dry asphalt...what kind of problems were you having when you rode with them?
You edited out the part of your post that stated you didn't want suggestions 0:)

Passing cars on the 60s, i've had some wheel spin twice, and drifted (didn't look cool) while entering on a highway.

On a positive note, there's a huge nail that got in the back tire. No leak, we only saw it when we took it off. I need to patch and fill the hole and i'll have a ~85% new set for an eventual offroad camping trip.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You edited out the part of your post that stated you didn't want suggestions 0:)

Passing cars on the 60s, i've had some wheel spin twice, and drifted (didn't look cool) while entering on a highway.

On a positive note, there's a huge nail that got in the back tire. No leak, we only saw it when we took it off. I need to patch and fill the hole and i'll have a ~85% new set for an eventual offroad camping trip.
Thanks for the feedback. After BigB's comments, I figured it may be best to listen to the collective :grin2:

I'm kind of leaning back towards the original Tourance. Realized that my recent past research was bringing up the more street oriented newer versions of the Tourance.

I know there's no perfect tire, but figured something has to work fairly well both with LOT of interstate miles as well as able to allow me to ride on wet dirt/gravel roads without sinking or sliding off the road when I don't want to.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. After BigB's comments, I figured it may be best to listen to the collective :grin2:

I'm kind of leaning back towards the original Tourance. Realized that my recent past research was bringing up the more street oriented newer versions of the Tourance.

I know there's no perfect tire, but figured something has to work fairly well both with LOT of interstate miles as well as able to allow me to ride on wet dirt/gravel roads without sinking or sliding off the road when I don't want to.
I currently have a tourance in the front, and a tourance exp in the back. None of them was my choice, got forced with those by the lack of suzuki support in the states (only bmw had several brands in stock...), i heard plenty of good stuff from bmw owners, but i find my back tire getting flattened rather quickly, time will tell if they will last as long as my all time favs, the "crappy" battlewings.

(haha)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Curious about other's input on this: I'll be riding from Indiana out to the Pacific NW states in late June to spend a couple of weeks finding curves on NF roads, out in the country, and probably in a bit of rain.

Total trip will be around 7,000 miles, and requires a few thousand miles of interstate to get there and back since I'm not trailering. Once out there, I won't touch an interstate for the two weeks.

I currently have Michelin PR4's on the bike (Trail on the front) and have loved these tires on regular asphalt, in the rain, and for long distance riding on the Interstates. I have considered going with Heidenau K60s for this trip since once I get out there, I'll be riding lots of hard-pack dirt and gravel...which may get a little soupy if it's raining. I am not planning on doing any single-track, trails, or non traditional types of roads.

So question is...for this trip, if it were you...stay with the PR4s or throw on the K60s for what is planned? I'll even throw up a poll in case you don't want to post.

New set will be put on before departure and expected to last the 7K miles until I pull back into my driveway.

Thoughts?

Why not use Mitas E07 tires. I use them all around town, wet, dry, cold wet may slip a bit. Sand, gravel. 3 K on them and they just start to wear.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Why not use Mitas E07 tires. I use them all around town, wet, dry, cold wet may slip a bit. Sand, gravel. 3 K on them and they just start to wear.
I used the Dakar version of the E07 on my 10,000+ mile trip to Alaska last year. Had many a pucker moment with them the first few thousand miles which was nothing but high-speed on wet asphalt and roads (I do typically ride faster than posted speeds limits, especially in certain states where Interstate traffic is more rare). Found that they 'swayed' badly within the lane when wet and at high speeds and didn't like rain grooved pavement found in many major cities interstates even when dry. They did settle down by the time I got into the Yukon and entire ride home. Just not a fan although others do like them.

I've had several people contact me here and elsewhere and advise I should use the original Metzeler Tourance on this trip...so I took the advice and ordered a set this morning. My past research had indicated they weren't the best choice for the wet light off-road needs that wet Oregon may present but then found that those reviews were on the newer types of Tourance models.

So, this thread can be closed unless mods want to leave it open for whatever reason. Thanks to all for their input and help.

Reactions: Big B
1 - 20 of 22 Posts