StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought powermadd's universal hand guard kit for my 05 DL650. the hand guards also have an option to ad a hand wrap bracket. has anyone tried using the hand wrap bracket on the DL with these hand guards? if not then I will be the first as I plan on ordering them. but if someone knows for sure please post.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm interested in how well you like the Power Madd handguards, as I'm thinking of ordering the same handguards. I understand there are snap-on inserts to keep your hands warm in cool weather - did you get those? Looking forward to your review.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well I really haven't had a chance to ride too much I just installed them on wednesday. they are vented at the top and come with a snap on plate to make them solid. they also have a larger plate that you can snap on making the handgaurds a little beefier I didn't get those and I feel the gaurds themselves are good enough. they are designed for mx bikes not the DL. in order to install them you need to order a universal mounting bracket they go on without a hitch you do have to adjust them to make sure that they do not hit the fairing but thats not a big deal. I can go full lock in either direction without any problems. now I want to get the wrap arounds for them to make them more sturdy which is why I posted but it looks like I have to find out for myself so I will order them today. if you have any questions about instalation or would like to see pics of them on the bike just email me or tell me how to post pics on this site and I will do it up so all can see. I own a red/black 05 650. I tried the honda red color but it didn't match and look shitty on the bike so I returned those and ordered a black/black set which look much better. Imo they look better than the stockers how they perform when compared to the stock ones I wouldn't know but so far I am pleased with them.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Installation problems

I have had trouble with my protectors bumping into the "sharp extended" part of my fairing. although I mounted my "long bar" ontop of the handle bars. The wiring from the starter/cutoff switch housing was close to the handle bars on bottom. I didn't try to force the long bar underneath. Any help and advice, I would really appreciate on how you installed your protectors. The option for summer riding, by taking the center piece out, and replacing the piece for cooler weather, I believe will be good. Good concept anyways. Can't wait to try mine out. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
vengence00 said:
well I really haven't had a chance to ride too much I just installed them on wednesday.
vengence- I bought a pair too, but haven't had time to install them. You described the instalation as straightforward, but my question is- did you have to slide the mirrors or any of the handlebar controls over to mount the brackets? It looked to me like the mirrors would have to move inboard which I think would be a problem given the mirrors views are already somewhat limited. Anyway, I would love to see some pictures especially from the bracket side.

Thanks,

Doug

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Installation problems

bullhornet said:
I have had trouble with my protectors bumping into the "sharp extended" part of my fairing. although I mounted my "long bar" ontop of the handle bars. The wiring from the starter/cutoff switch housing was close to the handle bars on bottom. I didn't try to force the long bar underneath. Any help and advice, I would really appreciate on how you installed your protectors. The option for summer riding, by taking the center piece out, and replacing the piece for cooler weather, I believe will be good. Good concept anyways. Can't wait to try mine out. Thanks
I installed the holder brackets over the brake and clutch levers and lowered the whole thing until the handgaurds go into the fairing like the stock hand gaurds would. I don't think I can post pics on this site but if you guys give me your email addresses I can email you pics of both sides installed. now with the bars fully locked in both directions the hand gaurds rest confortably in the fairing. I ordered the extender plates today to provide more wind protection.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gear_head said:
vengence00 said:
well I really haven't had a chance to ride too much I just installed them on wednesday.
vengence- I bought a pair too, but haven't had time to install them. You described the instalation as straightforward, but my question is- did you have to slide the mirrors or any of the handlebar controls over to mount the brackets? It looked to me like the mirrors would have to move inboard which I think would be a problem given the mirrors views are already somewhat limited. Anyway, I would love to see some pictures especially from the bracket side.

Thanks,

Doug
you're right the mirrors will have to be moved inward a little in order to get these hand guards on properly. the mirrors suck so I ordered a pair of napoleon long stem mirrors so its not going to be a problem. I moved the cutoff switch over about 1/8 which means you have to remove the nub on the inside of the switch so you can slide it to where you want it.

and to answer my own question yes the handwraps can be used on the DL. you have to remove the bar end weights and drill a 1/4 hole in the hand gaurds themselves but it makes the entire thing much more stable. I wouldn't recomend installing the gaurds without the hand wraps now that I have done it. the only thing as I stated above is that you have to move the entire setup down so that you have no problems with the gaurds hitting the fairing while moving the handlebars from lock to lock. not a major thing. I personally think they look better than the stockers and am happy with my choice. if anyone wants detailed pics of the set up leave your email in this thread and I will cc them to all who is interested.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright guys will take close up photos of the install as well as a photo of how it looks from the front. keep in mind that I still have yet in attach the handgaurd extension but for now the pics will show how they are installed to work on this bike. also I have have the handwraps which make the whole package much more sturdy and once again I do not recomend getting the gaurds without the hand wraps if you want hand guards that don't move. before the handwraps the guards would tend to move if I brushed up against
them.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright I took some rough shots today and mailed them to all who asked to see them. I will be recieving the extensions tommorrow and I plan on doing a final tweaking of the hand gaurds this weekend. so expect some new photos over the weekend with details on the install.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts