StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a Bags Connection "City" tank bag and I'm thinking of adding power. I read some negatives on their powered mounting ring so I thought I'd just run a cable type power feed. Anyone else done this?

I'm looking at the Powerlet standard socket and maybe one of their tank bag connection packages. I bought a Eastern Beaver PC8 during the winter but I have yet to install it. I'm thinking of running the power from the PV8 to a Powerlet standard socket and then into the bag. I'm also considering a mounting shelf with the one standard tank bag socket and one cigarette style Powerlet socket.

Powerlet looks like top quality and I'd rather only do this once. I've been searching for a quality power socket system. Powerlet looks like a quality product and the socket plus SAE connections should be quick and simple for everyday mounting and removal. Any thoughts or comments?

·
Registered
780 Posts
I ran a SAE plug to my bag. I have an SAE splitter to a cigaratee lighter socket/ powerlet socket(2 different sockets). I forgot where I bought it). I charge my phone in the bag. I also have. a USB plug setup.

Best regards,
Les

·
Registered
566 Posts
My wee came with the aux shelf with powerlet and cigarette sockets. I just wired my tank bag from powerlet to sae. I went the cheap route and bought the sae outlet for$5 from an online RV solar place. It doesn't come with the backing plat, nuts and bolts the powerlet one comes with, but the socket is identical. I made my own backing plate from a large washer and sought some stainless nuts and bolts. Inside the bag I wired a sae splitter then took a cheap cigarett to dual USB adapter, opened it up and wired in a SAE plug.

I'll try to post up some pictures

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I made my own connection for a powered tank bag using trailer connectors, ABS plastic sheet, a PVC pipe fitting and some JB Weld. It was actually very simple, and way better than paying the 50 bucks or so that TouraTech wanted for a tank bag pass thru. The power distribution box inside the bag was homemade too, but it's just as easy to buy one at an auto parts store.

http://www.stromtrooper.com/members/41909-rcinnc-albums-homemade-power-pass-through-tank-bag.html

The bag plugs into either outlet mounted to the handlebar clamps (one is always hot, one is switched). The outlets are waterproof, from O'Reilly Auto Parts. The mounting rings were just cut out of 1/8" aluminum angle. The outlets are powered through a PC-8 under the seat. Everything works well. The outlet covers are spring loaded, and their pressure against the power plug keeps the connections tight even on rough roads.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have the Warm and Safe connector coming up from under my seat right at the tank and I plug in my heated gear or my bag or both from there with their small y connector and I use the USB charging adapter they have in my bag for my sena or my phone. My Cortech bag has a convenient headphone cable port in near the handle.

You can see it in this photo, its unplugged because I just set my bag on the bike.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I added a powerlet bag connection kit to the givi tankbag I have. Inside, I have a splitter, one sae plug one cigarette lighter plug. The sae plugs into a homemade 4 port usb charging outlet one sae off a switch another always on. The switched one plugs into a 6" 6-8 led strip to light up bag, the always on runs on to my heated vest. Plugged into the cigarette lighter is a small voltage reader. Behind the dash I have another usb ran up to my Ram Mount-mounted garmin 50 GPS. I have oxford heated grips, too.
All are powered off the 6 circuit fuse panel I added, it is run off a relay that works only when the ignition is on. The circuit going to the tankbag has a switch in it, I can have it always on, or only on when ignition is on, dependent of switch direction.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I own nothing that uses powerlet connectors. I'm a ham and lots of us use Anderson Powerpole connectors. It's a techie thing.

Powerlets are good connectors but you can also get high quality lighter sockets and plugs, marine supply is your best bet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the Powerlet "style" socket on my BMW Sport Touring bike. I assume the quality is about the same but I've never seen an actual Powerlet product. I have seen a big decrease in the quality of after market parts, both marine and automotive. I've seen marine parts marked "stainless steel" that rust in fresh water conditions. Hmmm, they were cheaper but they were also junk.

Anyone care to comment on the quality of the Powerlet products. Does the added cost seem reasonable with respect to the quality? Do the sockets hold the plugs and do they last? I'd really like to only do it once and not say damn, I could have had a V8. :headbang:

·
Registered
566 Posts
Powerlet is the same as BMW. The plugs won't rattle out like cigarette lighter plugs do. If you don't go off pavement, then it's probably not an issue. But off-road it makes all the difference in the world.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have a powered bag connections bag that has the power ring on the tank. It clips in and out with ease and no power problems at all. I couldn't live with out it. It has 2 cig lighters in it and I can charge my phone in one and power gps with the other. It's a must have for me!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Donmac,

That looks nice and clean. Is that the Powerlet SAE tankbag/soft case kit with the 48 inch battery power feed? If so, was the 48 inch power feed long enough or did you have to lengthen anything? I've been considering that option and thought of running it to my PC8 Eastern Beaver fuse box in the tool tray. I haven't measured the required power feed length because I'd have to remove the tank etc.

That option comes with the tank bag cigarette socket and SAE outlet. I like the looks as it would eliminate the need for an exterior power socket and it looks more weather proof.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I went the SAE route with my wolfman
When you take the tank bag off the bike, what do you do with the SAE cable? Just let it hang in the fairing area while you ride?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I ran a SAE plug to my bag. I have an SAE splitter to a cigaratee lighter socket/ powerlet socket(2 different sockets). I forgot where I bought it).
+1 and that SAE plug doubles as connection to the battery tender in my garage

·
Registered
107 Posts
Donmac,

That looks nice and clean. Is that the Powerlet SAE tankbag/soft case kit with the 48 inch battery power feed? If so, was the 48 inch power feed long enough or did you have to lengthen anything? I've been considering that option and thought of running it to my PC8 Eastern Beaver fuse box in the tool tray. I haven't measured the required power feed length because I'd have to remove the tank etc.

That option comes with the tank bag cigarette socket and SAE outlet. I like the looks as it would eliminate the need for an exterior power socket and it looks more weather proof.
My SAE connection is at the bottom of bag with the cord coming up right above the seat. Bag is on all the time.

Here is what I used for the connection.

Powerlet Heavy Duty SAE Battery Lead - 24": Automotive

Powerlet Luggage Electrix Connector

I have usb charger, cig plug charger, and volt meter in the bag.

·
Registered
706 Posts
That's how mine is and the only time I take mine off is to get gas or if it's raining and I'm off the bike. I don't see any reason to ride with it off...
I like the idea of this, just trying to figure out what to do with the cable when at work (park way away from bike) or traveling and stopping at the motel when not camping. Sure I could figure this out pretty easily, but I like the charge station in the bag. :mrgreen:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts