StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It depends on the load that will plug into it.

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Powerlet Socket - What Guage Wire?

What gauge wire is recommended to safely install a powerlet socket?
If you are talking about the BMW (or Euro) type socket, it is rated by Powerlet at 15 amps - so I would use nothing higher than 14 gauge. This type of socket can be used as a power source for heated clothing. If you are talking about the typical Cigar/Cigarette (auto) socket - these connectors (and hence, circuits) are not rated for heated clothing. Typical use would be:
* GPS Units
* Radar Detectors
* Satellite Radios
* Camcorders
* Music Systems
* Cell Phones
* Battery Charging (Power-In)

Since power need is not as high for these items you could get away with 16 gauge wire. By all means use 14 gauge if you want.

I generally match whatever gauge Powerlet uses in the cables they provide. If in doubt put in heavier gauge - you can't go wrong there, BUT, never use mono-filament wire (single core) in auto/moto installs .Always use multi-filament wires only. :yikes: Easily found in any hardware, auto supply store and is available in four different colors on spools.
Good luck. :thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Flexibility and connectivity.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Multi-filament vs. Mono-filament wires

Mono-filament wire isn't as flexible as multi-filament wire of the same thickness. A single strand of wire, when it is forcibly flexed, will develop a weakness and eventually break. This is far less likely for a multi-filament wire as it is capable of considerable flextion without breakage. Single strand, large gauge wire is only used in situations where the wire will be fixed in place and non-movable - like house wiring. On the other hand, power transmission lines are usually made up of several strands, for both strength and flexibility, due to the fact that they move around some in windy conditions. :yesnod:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Flexibility and connectivity.
greywolf beat me to it. Ah, the beauty of simplicity. My diatribe = 102 words. :thumbdown: Grewwolf's answer = 2 words! :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts