StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently ordered and received in a timely manner a powerlet from AMOTOSTUFF. When I opened the parts package the first thing I noticed is that the socket is way too small to fit the cord for my GPS and cell phone charger. Did I get the wrong powerlet? or are there adapeters to fit the small socket?

·
Registered
165 Posts
A powerlet socket is a specific size/type that is nicely standardized so all powerlet sockets/plugs are interchangable. Your devices are using a cigarette socket which is not standardized and tends to have poor electrical connections, especialy in a vibration environment like a bike.
There are adapters, but it might be better to get some powerlet plugs and cut off and replace the cigarette plugs from your charger/gps.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
You will need an adapter. Powelets use those BWM connectors that nobody else in this country uses. They may be popular in Europe but this isn't Europe.

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
I've found powerlet sockets to work 100 times better than standard connectors. They don't vibrate loose, and withstand weather better.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You will need an adapter. Powelets use those BWM connectors that nobody else in this country uses. They may be popular in Europe but this isn't Europe.
John Deere uses the same socket.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Chances are it won't work to cut off the cigarette lighter connector on a GPS or cell phone charger. In most cases, such devices use 5VDC and have a voltage regulator in the connector. If you cut it off, you'll be feeding 12VDC instead of 5VDC.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
powerlet

I just use a 2 regular cigarette connectors into one powerlet. got it from powerlet - they have about every kind of adapter you can imagine. worked great so far - charge the cell phone and power the garmin GPS - also...the gps connector also charges my mp3 player - both use a mini usb connector.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Greywolf is correct.

A marine grade 12v standard connector will fit inside the cable "wicket" on the left side of the triple tree. I have one mounted there for my GPS. I have never had any issues with connections or weather. It always works. I also have a powerlet socket mounted in my fairing. I have never used it.......... Because nothing I have has that connector on the end and I am not going to spend the money on adaptors.

B.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts
I use regulary cigarette style power outlets on my bike and have not had a problem with them vibrating loose. I know others who have done the same. I realize some may disagree.

Casco outlets are one example and are sold at Wal-Mart. Much cheaper and require no adapter to accomodate standard cigarette style plugs.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Save the Powerlet socket for your heated gear next winter, you'll need it.

Cigarette sockets are not good for higher current stuff. Their plugs are generally not waterproof.

The European cigarette sockets are a bit larger than American and can make some loose connections.

To find out if your cigar plug has a Voltage converter inside, unscrew the ring around the nose contact, pull the fuse and ring and the unit should come apart. If there's a small circuit board inside that's a Voltage converter. If there's only two wires and the fuse, there is none.

If you find there's no Voltage converter you can cut that plug off and install a Powerlet plug in its place. Check your device Voltage input requirement first just in case. It should be marked on each device on a small plate or sticker.

If you found a Voltage converter inside your cigar plug, Powerlet may make a replacement adaptor cord with an inline Voltage converter and a Powerlet plug on it. These are available for most GPS and other devices.

Yes Powerlet does have lots of adaptors from Powerlet plug to Cigar Socket etc.

Powerlet also sells a very high quality cigarette style socket with cap etc that is good for fairly high current, not sure offhand but it will work for air compressors etc where you might melt a regular cigar socket/plug combo.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all that responded

Thanks to everyone who responsded, I have learned alot. I feel like I'm now educated in the decisions that I will now make. I think that's what is so great about this forum, we are all willing to help each other by sharing our experience and knowledge. Learning from others, it's a good principle. Thanks again.

·
0 Posts
No it won't.
A charger designed to work in a car will have the larger plug receptical.

The Powerlet plug is a design unique to itself.

You can buy an adapter to make it work though.

Contact Jim at Eastern Beaver.
He can get or make anything you can imagine electrical wise.

BTD.

Wait, I'm a little confused... I just bought a Nuvi GPS... will the supplied car charger not fit a Powerlet by default?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I recently ordered and received in a timely manner a powerlet from AMOTOSTUFF. When I opened the parts package the first thing I noticed is that the socket is way too small to fit the cord for my GPS and cell phone charger. Did I get the wrong powerlet? or are there adapeters to fit the small socket?

I did the same thing....
I wanted it mostly for my GPS....which shares duty in my car too, so it needs to fit in both, so I assume I now have to purchase an adaptor (wish I had know when I ordered....but I should have checked into it better...):rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
When you have your Nuvi up and running, please post exactly what Powerlet hardware you used. I'm looking at the AMoto site and that's a lot to choose from!
Powerlet makes power cords for Nuvis, I sell them. That way you can use it on the bike in a Powerlet socket and keep the car adaptor for the car.

Powerlet makes adaptors to go both ways, I sell them. I have dual cigar sockets, dual powerlet sockets, adaptors to connect to SAE plugs, and much much more.

BMW, Ducati, and Triumph all use Powerlet sockets from the factory if you order that option.

The John Deere stuff isn't as good, I'd avoid it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You had better not talk to anybody associated with boating. This socket is very common world wide in marine applications.
HUH? Could you be more specific, I've lived on boats, as well as worked on and owned many for most of the last 50+ years. Never have seen a Powerlet on any nor have I seen them in any marine store I've been in. On the other hand Marinco makes a nice cigarette lighter plug that I believe they claim is waterproof, at least they seemed to be on the ones I had. They may be a better mouse trap and I will agree they may be, but in my part of the world the common cigarette lighter plug is a lot more common in the 12v world both on land and sea.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts