StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to share some photos of my recent installation of a Powerlet socket on my 2005 DL650 for my heated jacket liner. I mounted the socket on the left frame cover just in front of where my knee rests when seated. I haven’t seen another V-Strom with a Powerlet socket in this exact location. Has anyone else? The frame cover turns out to be a very convenient location allowing me to move around freely while riding and to mount and dismount easily without getting tangled in the cord. I also think it makes for a clean looking installation with no external brackets required.

It turns out that this is the only spot on the frame cover that has enough space between the cover and the frame to mount a low-profile Powerlet socket with about 1/8” clearance to spare. Any further forward or rearward and you run into interference from the tank or the frame.

One concern I had when choosing this location was pulling the plug out of the socket might pull the frame cover loose because it only attaches to the frame with one bolt near the front with the rear of the cover held to the frame by only a couple of plastic posts pressed into rubber grommets. However, the mounting location is so close to the front that most of the stress is on the bolt so the cover remains attached securely. I can yank the plug out with no problem.

Attachments

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I have a four conductor connector for heated gear near there but in the horizontal plane underneath. It's been working fine for two years. I run the cord inside my left leg though to keep it from flapping around. The cord has pull connectors to allow separation if I walk away without unplugging. I think you'll like it there.

·
Stromtrooper $upporter
555 Posts
Looks good. I just picked up 2 powerlet plugs and plan on installing them on the bike soon. Thanks for posting. I was thinking of that same area for one of the plugs.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Powerlett location

I mounted both of my powerletts on the trim piece that comes from the dash to the fuel tank, this keeps everything up higher, I attach my thermostat controls to the tank bag and then to my vest. Kieth

I have made it a habit to always rig the powerlett on the left side of the dash so it is unswitched and has a 20 amp fuse. (allows charging of the battery and high current drain items like the vest ). The right hand powerlett is wired switched for the operation of electircal items (usually my tank bag where all the audio stuff resides) :var_39:

You might find that a 90 degree powerlett male plug would make your installation look a little neater.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts