StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I need to do to power a GPS? Do I have to install a fuse box? I don't really understand the benefits of that. Should I install a cigarette lighter adapter, or can GPS be charged another way? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Oh no, you didn't use the search function? You're in trouble now...:mrgreen: There are lots of threads and lots of imformation here on this very subject... Seriously, a quick search will get you the information you need...

·
Registered
450 Posts
I took the CLA for mine apart and then hardwired it (with the addition of a fuse) direct to the battery.

If you don't feel like disassembling the CLA, go by Wallyworld or your favorite auto parts store and get a female CLA connector with pigtails. Direct wire that to the battery (again, with a fuse) and plug your CLA into this.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
If the GPS in question has a cigarette lighter plug, a cigarette lighter adapter is probably the best bet. Those plugs have 12V-5V voltage reducers and fuses inside them. The adapter can be wired into the bike directly. A GPS draws very little current so the adapter can be wired to the battery if the GPS is not left on the bike with the ignition off for a long time. It can also be wired to any black wire with a white stripe for negative and any orange wire with a green stripe for positive. If more than one add on electrical device is planned, http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Bike_Specific/VStrom/vstrom.html is a fine source for products to help arrange them.

·
Cat Herder
2,480 Posts
Easy solution?

As long as your factory heated grip lead isn't being used, you an use this: Eastern Beaver Heated Grip Adapter.

Cut the power cable for the GPS, connect ground to ground, power to power, and plug into the heated grip lead on the Strom. The only issue is the heated grip lead on the Strom is switched, so if you turn off the bike you'll lose power to the GPS.

Other than that, your options are:

1) A direct run back to the battery, with fuse.
2) Purchase a fuse block (for your application, the Plug and Play Complete 3CS VStrom Kit may work best)...get the one with one unswitched lead, as this will allow you to power the GPS when the bike is off).
3) Purchase a power outlet and use that. You can use the automotive cigar outlet, or for more vibration resistance, you can purchase the Powerlet. As your GPS probably did not come with a Powerlet adapter, you'd have to purchase one, or buy the male Powerlet lead and install that on the GPS power cable.

It's funny how Eastern Beaver has a solution to whatever path you want to take. Jim makes excellent stuff.

·
Registered
424 Posts
+1 Eastern Beaver , hooked to heated grip plug = on off with ignition.
I put the standard cigarette lighter with the flip up cap under the cowl on one of the metal brackets with zip ties. When you unplug and remove the GPS make sure you don' let the hook up touch something metal. I blew the fuse in my plug in on the cigarette lighter power cord. I usually go ahead and unplug the power cord when I am not using the GPS.
Mike

·
Registered
286 Posts
This is what I bought, an EKLIPES, it has the leads for my Yuasa Battery tender and you can connect those to the 12 Volt connector supplied or whatever else you want, like a powerlet.

If you're looking online, its called the "Cellphone Adapter with Battery Harness"

You can use the same SAE connectors coming off your battery to connect to a Powerlet adapter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
GPS power supply

A bit late on this but better late than never. Anyone using a GPS on a bike should read this page http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_hardwire.html. I run several Garmins and had all the troubles mentioned until I made the recommended changes. I changed from the 12 volt cigarette lighter type outlet to a dedicated GPS power supply using gold plated RCA audio male / female setup because they maintain constant electrical contact. The gold plating makes the contacts more resistant to arcing corrosion. I've used the RCA connectors for two years now on both my KLR and ST1300 and have now added them to the V-Strom. They're inexpensive, durable and widely available. I include a 1 amp glass fuse in the circuit as Garmin requires this for warranty but I used a clip in type fuse holder that doesn't have a coil spring. One amp blade type fuses are very difficult to find.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Tyler, what GPS are you using? If your GPS can be powered by a usb cable, like the Garmin Nuvis, this is a great solution and very cheap and neat. http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Garmin-Nuvi-Mini-USB-Connector-Hardwire-Cable/4393642/product.html You can wire it to a switched relay if you want or direct wire it to your battery. Chances are you are going to remove your GPS when not on the bike (like overnight) so direct wire is not an issue. Besides, I like to leave mine on all day when traveling to get good daily trip stats ie Time Rolling, Stopped, Rolling Average, Overall Average, etc.

The advantage of the usb connector is a) it is far easier to connect and disconnect when compared to Garmin's 18 pin connector, b) you do not have to take the little "boot thingy" along on the bike but can leave it in your car c) the little boot thingy does not do well over time if moisture is around (connectors corrode), etc.

Hope this helps!

Vic

·
Registered
249 Posts
Tyler, are you telling me that I can go direct to the battery and not install a fuze in between as long as I don't leave the GPS on the bike? I have that same system I just bought but the wiring diagram showed a fuze in the middle but I do not intend on leaving the GPS on the bike, especially if I am not on it.

·
38,048 Posts
Any hot wire to the battery needs to be fused as close to the battery as possible for safety. Have the insulation rub through against a frame member and you've got big trouble otherwise.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Any automotive parts supplier should have an in-line type fuse holder. Wire it directly to your battery and you're all set.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Thanks 2Tall, I will run over and get one in the AM and try this thing out. The diagram just says 12V line with Car Fuzebox in between that and the battery. Don't fuses have an amp rating? Is there a particular size or standard size fuze for bikes and GPSs?

·
38,048 Posts
A typical GPS will use a 2A fuse. What GPS are you using and how is it designed to be connected? If it has a cigarette lighter end for example, the end will usually have a 5V reduction circuit and a built in fuse. You can't cut it off to wire directly because the 12V needs to be dropped to 5V.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The USB power supply I mentioned in my post has a fuse built into it. All electrical items should have a fuse between them and the battery.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
I used Eastern Beaver's VStrom Rear Brake Light Switch Connector Relay Switching Adapter - $6.95. Easy to install and provided a switched power source to run to a 12V plug for the GPS.

SS

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a Nuvi and I will grab an inline fuse today and try that out. Thanks all and if I really screw it up I will take it in and get it fixed by a pro. Hell you never learn unless you try right?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts