StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Learned this the hard way after I plugged in my Slime pump and blew the fuse.

Any downside to replacing it with a 10amp fuse?

pmk

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's rated at 36Watts,...Rots-of-Ruck...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It's specifically designed to be used to charge a GPS or cell phone. If you want to power a pump, add socket with a properly sized fuse and wire.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Now why would Suzuki not just install a 7 amp socket and fuse to start with? Like the accesory one they sell. I believe that's what most cigarette style sockets are rated for. That makes no sense to me.
And while I'm at it why wouldn't they sell the bike with the mirror extenders and the larger foot on the side stand already installed. Those are the little details that show a manufacturer is paying attention.

·
Registered
191 Posts
......... And while I'm at it why wouldn't they sell the bike with the mirror extenders and the larger foot on the side stand already installed. Those are the little details that show a manufacturer is paying attention.

How do you expect them to sell you accessories if they came pre-installed?!?!? :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Learned this the hard way after I plugged in my Slime pump and blew the fuse.

Any downside to replacing it with a 10amp fuse?

pmk
I have two accessory lighter sockets, the factory one and one that goes straight to the battery with a 30 amp fuse and 12 gauge wiring.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Blew mine too. The fuse is in the fuse box under the seat and it's clearly labelled in the lid (sorry, can't remember exactly what the wording is, but it is obvious when you find it).

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's specifically designed to be used to charge a GPS or cell phone. If you want to power a pump, add socket with a properly sized fuse and wire.
..or buy a socket with battery clips. I bought one from eBay for £5 ($8). I figured for all the times I was going to need to drive a pump a temporary clip on socket would be fine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
what, and loose 0.03¢ in profit to use heavier gauge wire
What some don't seem to realise is there is two sides to the story. Firstly yes they may want to sell accessories and also save a few cents, but secondly they wanted to be able to list a reduced kerb weight.

Imagine that if they sold the bike as standard with heavy gauge wiring, centre-stand, skid plate, 22 litre tank, aluminium or steel rear rack etc. etc. what the weight would have come out at? One lost marketing point.......

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, would it be a terrible idea to swap out the 3amp for a 10amp fuse?

Is the wiring really that bad?

pmk

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
So, would it be a terrible idea to swap out the 3amp for a 10amp fuse?

Is the wiring really that bad?

pmk
It is a terrible idea. The wiring is not bad but purposed. It's purpose is to power a phone or GPS charging system. The aux connector is powered off the ignition fuse. Exceed the design spec and you could blow the ignition fuse. Never replace a fuse with a higher amperage fuse. In a house and other situations where it is the only fuse in the line, it could cause a fire. In this case, it could stop your engine.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
There is quite a jump from 3A to 10 to 15. Just checked my Cyclepump, which I took on my trip and guess I am glad I didn't have to use cause it says 10 to 15A.:yikes:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It is a terrible idea. The wiring is not bad but purposed. It's purpose is to power a phone or GPS charging system. The aux connector is powered off the ignition fuse. Exceed the design spec and you could blow the ignition fuse. Never replace a fuse with a higher amperage fuse. In a house and other situations where it is the only fuse in the line, it could cause a fire. In this case, it could stop your engine.
Glad I asked. I guess I'll use the alligator clips for my slime pump.

pmk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Anyone have a reliable source for the 3amp fuse? It’s a weird shape, sort of a short mini. I’ve been to two Suzuki dealerships, 3 auto parts stores and several Canadian Tire stores.........no luck.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Anyone have a reliable source for the 3amp fuse? It’s a weird shape, sort of a short mini. I’ve been to two Suzuki dealerships, 3 auto parts stores and several Canadian Tire stores.........no luck.
I just had to take my fuse cover off for a look! It's good that Suzuki included some spares inside the fuse cover, given the difficulties finding them at a store.

These fuses are called micro blade fuses or micro wedge fuses, mini low profile blade fuses and "ATT". Apparently new Japanese cars also use them ...
Lexus, Toyota, Mazda and Honda.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts