StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Picked up my 2018 vstrom this week and notice the power socket is rated 36 watts. My heated vest has 37 watts on the label. Is it safe to use as its only one watt difference. Whats the worst ? a blown fuse. Love the bike by the way.

Cheers, Graham.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The wiring going to the socket is very light and not suitable for heated gear. That was my thought as to it's use until I had the dash off and saw the wiring. Strictly GPS or cell phone use. I have ordered a dual USB port to replace mine as well. My heated gear is connected to my aux fuse panel.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I put an SAE connector fused straight to battery hanging out from under seat. Has cover and tuck in for summer months. I also use it for trickle charger in Winter. SAE to coax pigtail. No concern about running batter dead as when I jump off it unplugs coax connector.

I used the heated grip connector for a USB block with volt meter mounted to handlebar. This is where I plug in gps and phone mounted on RAM mounts. It is switched and I do not have heated grips. I also have the accessory outlet that I don't use for anything as it used to power gps but kept popping out with heavy acceleration.

KFH000

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
I think you're better off with the pigtail under the seat, even if the dash mounted socket was rated high enough to power your vest. I hate having any wires running from me up past the handlebars to the dash. Wires have a weird way of getting caught and tangled up in stuff, especially with all the things that are attached to the bars. All it takes is that cable getting caught on the mirror when you're making a turn.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts