StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone added a coax or other power outlet to their Strom? I just bought a coax power port for heated gear and am looking for some ideas.

·
Administrator
13,809 Posts
If all yo uare doing is adding heated gear don't overthink it... For heated gear I just go with a driect connection (fused of course!) to the battery. No worry about draining the battery unless you plan on sitting on your bike for extended periods with heated gear on and bike off.

Most other thing I have go through the fusebox.. both GPS units go through there unswitched (ie always getting power) while other things (ie autocom, radio) use switched power. If I ever bother to install my heated grips they wil go through the switched part of the fusebox.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
I have power for my GPS cradle (direct wire to fuse block), smartphone (USB plug to fuse block), Delorme in-reach (converted to USB plug and changed that dumb phone plug on dash to USB), and power for my tank bag which is my charging station. I also have two Garmin style plugs to the left of my seat, one for heated gear and the other for permanent go-pro power. My heated grips also run down to the fuse block.

Start with a switched fuse block under your seat.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a six circuit block under my seat with switched and constant power sections. I am going to install an Oxford handlebar power socket on the handlebars (switched power) so I don't have to worry about the 3A fuse on the dash socket. I currently have a pigtail that is under my seat for the heated gear. I take the seat off and flop it over the rail when it is cold, but want a cleaner solution.

I am doing another Iron Butt next year and will likely have a phone, GPS, and radar detector mounted on the bars so I need some more juice up there.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I added a 15 Amp water-proof socket for an extra source and one that would run a tyre pump.
Directly from battery, fused of course, mounted on engine bars with small black nylon ties.

$10 Ebay, 15 minutes work and never think about it again. Keep a few fuses under the seat.

Same thing on my DR650 but mounted on handlebars bars with ties

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have the connector for my heated gear mounted. I got the coax port from Warm & Safe and put it behind the seat lock. I think it worked out pretty well. I need to wait till my son gets home so I can straighten the cover and cinch it down.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have a six circuit block under my seat with switched and constant power sections. I am going to install an Oxford handlebar power socket on the handlebars (switched power) so I don't have to worry about the 3A fuse on the dash socket. I currently have a pigtail that is under my seat for the heated gear. I take the seat off and flop it over the rail when it is cold, but want a cleaner solution.

I am doing another Iron Butt next year and will likely have a phone, GPS, and radar detector mounted on the bars so I need some more juice up there.

Can you post a picture of your fuse box and where you have it positioned? It's pretty tight under that seat.

·
Administrator
13,809 Posts
because heated grips can be had as a factory accessory, there is an unused plug in the wire harness for just that purpose
Yeah I know that to be true in my previous Stroms. I don't know if it's true on the new 1000 but regardless I would still most likely wire it to the fuse box since it is easy and simple to do.

Still odds are I won't but maybe in the future.

..Tom

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Can you post a picture of your fuse box and where you have it positioned? It's pretty tight under that seat.
I'll get a pic in a day or two. I had to take the Strom to the barn and we got 30+ inches of snow in the last 24 hours. There was plenty of room for my fuse block and a terminal strip for a negative polarity connection. Still plenty of room for a PCV when I get around to that.

I used a Blue Sea 5037 Fuse Block and mounted it with some industrial Velcro (the plastic stuff) so I can get it out easily if I ever need to. It fit sideways in there like it was designed for the Strom. I think I paid $23 on eBay for the block.

Here is a pic of the fuse block. They don't show the clear plastic cover that snaps over it. It is pretty well protected under the seat and beneath the cover.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts