StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me which would be a better route to go? Install my own Power Commander or have the dealer re-map my fuel system for running richer? It sputters at 3K rpm and is annoying as all!

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
For a one shot deal the dealer can Yosh box it in a manner of minutes for .5 labor. A PC will cost $300 and you need to install the software and maps via your PC.

A yosh box is very simple with a broad stroke.
The power commander is "Surgical" in its methodology and should be used in conjunction with a dyno, otherwise loading the map in is "Seat of the pants" tuning.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
SemperVee said:
For a one shot deal the dealer can Yosh box it in a manner of minutes for .5 labor. A PC will cost $300 and you need to install the software and maps via your PC.

A yosh box is very simple with a broad stroke.
The power commander is "Surgical" in its methodology and should be used in conjunction with a dyno, otherwise loading the map in is "Seat of the pants" tuning.
I question about this Yosh box adjustment? I have a 650 with Staintune pipe. Have others done this with the 650 or is it mostly the 1000 that need to be tweaked richer from the factory setup?

If the 650 benefits from it, how much richer and in what ranges?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
* Even the Little Sister 650 has the same engine requirements as any other engine that undergoes modification...

The 1000 just makes ALOT MORE power!!!!

A

·
0 Posts
There is a reprogrammed ecm available for 05's that runs 5% richer on the low end. This is supposed to cure 90% of the surging-stumbling on DL1000's. Contact your dealer, if he acts ignorant- contact the Suzuki district service rep. I just bought an 05 1000 and took it on a trip, I stopped at a dealer in Texas for an oil change and he told be about this, I rode a strom there that had the ecm update and could not believe that it was the same bike. I have just arrived home and will get after my dealer to get this done!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not sure if you have the 650 or 1000, but adjusting the Throttle Position Sensor on my 650 got rid of that annoying surge/flatspot at 3000rpm. Maybe try this free adjustment before spending the dollars on aftermarket stuff? I got the procedure from this site, it's easy with the right tools and some patience.

·
Registered
74 Posts
When I took my 05 DL 1000 in for the first service, I complained about the hesitation in the 3000 rpm range. The tech said he thought he could fix it if he I would leave it for the day, but that wasn't an option. When I went back, he said he had spoken to the Suzuki rep and received instructions on the remap, so Suzuki is getting out the word to those who call them.
Unfortunately, my dealer didn't have the box necessary to remap, they borrow it from their Suzuki rep.
They will have it for my next visit.

Prof

J

·
0 Posts
Is anyone using a Power Commander? Have you found good mappings and how has it improved the bike performance? So many questions...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just got a call from my dealer saying that Suzuki is now admitting there's an ECM problem for those experiencing the stumbles around 3-4k rpm. I guess enough of us have complained that they're now willing to address it. I was right at the point of getting the Commander or other system, but am now going to let Suzuki do their magic. If it fails to cure the problem, I'll write back in a month or so after I've installed an aftermarket setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts