StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I run a 2004 stock vee and I've been experiencing ever since I bought it hesitations, hicups especially in the low to mid rev.
Only once my mechanic fooled with something that looked like an artisan version of the yoshi box and the bike would run fantastically (very responsive, easy wheelies and so on). That nice configuration worked fine until some work had to be done because of a rusty tank (clogged injectors etc) and valve check. The same mechanic changed in the process the config but it has never been as good.
The question is: I would like to find a good map for the bike starting from known-to-work ones and some trial and error process. What option offers the most control over the entire process? Power Commander III, V or a yoshi box?
Cheers to all,

Mandrake

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
PC-V works good. I got mine from Fuel Moto with a good map already loaded. Plug and play! The PC-V offers more options such as autotuner. Nothing necessarily wrong with the PC-III other than it's limitations.
I like the idea of some day installing the autotuner option.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the answer..It is my understanding that the air/fuel mixture cannot be changed unless you hook up the PC-V to a laptop right? Unless I decide to purchase a switch which would allow me to change between two preloaded maps, right? It seems to me that the PC III allows rough changes at the press of a button.
I am checking right now the Fuel Moto site but they don't display the custom map price unless I call them (I am in Italy :) ) . What were you charged for that, if I may ask?
Cheers,

Mandrake

·
Registered
22 Posts
I like the PCV as well and got mine for fuel moto with a preloaded map. I'm pleased with the map, the bike has never run so good and has no hiccups or hesitation. You just tell them your mods and they will send your PCV preloaded with a map for no charge.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have the old version PCIII (non-USB), and it made a world of difference for my Vee, but what REALLY did it for me was this past week when I did the external fuel filter mod.

External Fuel Filter modification

My fuel flow test returned about 220 mL of fuel (should be around 350 mL), so my pump wasn't getting enough fuel to the engine anyway, meaning the PCIII was trying to richen an already insufficient fuel supply. Now, with both PCIII AND external fuel filter mod, the bike runs FANTASTICALLY- just an amazing improvement throughout the rev range. Buonissimo.

My K3 Vee has 55k miles, currently. The stock fuel filter costs somewhere around $230 bucks, and this fix ran me about $30 and makes future fuel filter changes take around 30 minutes. Just a thought. Good luck!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I picked up a PCV from Blair at SVRacingParts. It made a world of difference in smoothing out the throttle response. You can use the older PCIII maps with it too by converting them with the power commander software.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Not sure how available they are now - but approx 6 months ago when I was looking for a PC for my Vee I found the PCIII was no longer being made. Most everyone was out of them, and the PC-V was the only thing available. Thus, the V was what I ordered - made a good bit of difference - that coupled with aftermarket exhaust and the external filter mod were the ticket. Of course the TBS and TPS adjustments coupled with everything else made the ride that much better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure how available they are now - but approx 6 months ago when I was looking for a PC for my Vee I found the PCIII was no longer being made. Most everyone was out of them, and the PC-V was the only thing available. Thus, the V was what I ordered - made a good bit of difference - that coupled with aftermarket exhaust and the external filter mod were the ticket. Of course the TBS and TPS adjustments coupled with everything else made the ride that much better.
As a matter of fact I found some deals from european ebayers for the PC III USB. It still is a ripoff (like 130 $ more than in USA). Maybe I can arrange a discrete shipment thru some relatives in NYC..
Funny thing happened a few minutes ago: a friend of mine from a suzuki dealer called to see if I was interested in turning in the vstrom for a super clean 2011 Bking with 2000 miles on it :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just make sure if you buy a PC that its made specifically for your bike model. A pc for another bike model will be worthless for your Vee as the injector plugs where it ties in will not match up .. Be really annoying to spend all of that money on something that's nothing more than a piece of shelf art. If poss. you also want to get the software and plug that connects the pc to your computer (laptop). A new one will have all of this but used may not..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was 't planning to buy a second hand unit anyway but I did notice some decent bargain for new pc III units from the Netherlands.
I might decide to stick to the original plan of getting somebody to ship me the pcv to italy from the Usa and save at least 35%

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'm getting ready to do that mod myself, what filter did you use

wix 33023 ?

napa 3023 ?
The auto parts store I visited didn't have either of those, so I ended up using a Wix 33310. It's a tight fit from left to right, with about half an inch total clearance, but it fits well enough and doesn't impede any throttle body function. The issue I ran into was that I put too much FI tubing in on the tank side, which ended up kinking on me. I had to get into it and cut another inch off to get it to fuel properly.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Seems like i paid close to $400 dollars from Fuel Moto. If you change your set-up, they will send you a different map.

·
Administrator
18,301 Posts
Yosh box done right works excellent.

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
From what I have heard a yosh tune works better than a PC fix ..
Although I have no experience with Power Commander devices, my pseudo Yoshi box made my bike run smooth as silk and that's good enough for me.

Sent from my right shoe using the Motorcycle app

·
Registered
22,409 Posts
The auto parts store I visited didn't have either of those, so I ended up using a Wix 33310. It's a tight fit from left to right, with about half an inch total clearance, but it fits well enough and doesn't impede any throttle body function. The issue I ran into was that I put too much FI tubing in on the tank side, which ended up kinking on me. I had to get into it and cut another inch off to get it to fuel properly.
just got back from test ride,

seems to have been my problem, coupla farts but nothing I could reproduce

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts