StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
I picked up a cig lighter socket at my local automotive store. Wired a fused line direct to my battery and mounted it in one of the rings that hold the cables in place on the handlebars 8) I use it to power my GPS and plan on adding another socket before the season starts 8)

SmkyMtnVStrom said:
Hi All,
Quick question. I want to be able to charge my cell phone or plug my GPS in to a cigarette lighter. Is there a mod for the strom to add one? Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
If I remember correctly the ground wire should go directly to the battery ground post. This is done to avoid issues of metals and aluminum not working well together if you ground elsewhere on the bike. Can anyone clear this up. My remembery is at low tide.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
You have it okay. It's recommended not to use the frame for a ground.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty simple to do. You can get an outdoor cigarette lighter outlet at Wal-Mart, or an auto parts store for like $7 -- it's just a simple 2 wire hookup (hot / ground). You can get fancy and hook them up through a relay, so they're only on when the power is on, add some inline fusing, etc. All in all, it's easy to do, I put 2 on my bike...well 3 if you count the 1 powerlet outlet for my heated vest.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the Powerlet setup, but any of the other options are great too. I didn't want to drill into the plastic panel so I bought a bracket to use that the Powerlet plug attaches too. I attached the bracket inside the fairing and use a two outlet adapter coming off that for my phone, GPS, etc. It also keeps it out of the weather and out of sight for the most part.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Cigarette lighter vs. Powerlet/BMW style plug. Commentary from Gadgetman...

Cigarette lighters were never intended to be electrical connectors. They were intended to light cigarettes. Out of convenience gadget makers started making plugs for these sockets because every car had one. There are at least two engineering standards for these sockets so you can often get a poor fit. That of course means your gadget may not work at all.

The Powerlet/BMW socket is a precisely-made, click-fit, socket and plug combination. Plus it is smaller and more of a motorcycle scale. There are so many sockets, plugs, adapter cables, and other goodies available, I don't think it makes sense to use the old-school solution.

I have one Powerlet socket mounted in the trim panel forward of the fuel tank for my tankbag (which is electrified), and one in the left seat side panel right above where the little plastic pop fastener goes in the bottom edge. That latter socket is in the perfect location for my heated vest or jacket liner. I've got to post some images of these installations. If I do say so myself, they are very clean.

In the immortal words of John Swiatek from Powerlet, "Get wired. Then go play."

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I just installed a Powerlet socket on the Wee. The tech at Powerlet gave me a cig lighter socket to mount to the panel. It is the V-Strom kit, but with a cig socket for my GPS and cellphone. It comes with a rubber cap to keep the water out when not in use. The customer service was first rate! He made it up and shipped it out the day I called.

The instructions said to put the ground wire to the bolt on the fuel tank bracket. :? I didn't do that . I ran both the Positive and Negative to the battery.

I also got a pigtailed power cord from Powerlet for my Garmin eTrex Legend. It has a cig lighter plug on it. I had to push it into the socket and then pull it out a little in order to get a good electrical connection.

What MWValley said above is correct.

MWValley, is the BMW type connector waterproof when plugged in?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I would also like to add a power connector to my 'Strom, but I'd like it to be hooked up to the ignition so it turns off with the key, does anybody know where the best spot is to pick up an ignition feed?

·
38,047 Posts
Ignition on hot wires are normally orange for the main color. Where do you want to mount the connector?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I need to connect two devices, one is a TomTom Rider which will be permanently wired and a connector/plug somewhere near the seat

·
38,047 Posts
Before cutting into a stock wiring harness, I'd first opt to use the connector for the heated grips. It has an orange wire with a green stripe(O/G) for ignition on hot and a black wire with a white stripe(B/W) for ground. It's right behind the radiator and accessible from the left side of the bike. A suzuki horn connector will plug into it. There is a free connector under the seat with an O/W wire for ignition on hot if you want and the battery terminal for ground. Do not use the frame for ground.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks Greywolf, I'll have a go this weekend, I'm wiring up the TomTom that came with the bike and adding an accessory plug for a communicator.

·
38,047 Posts
The heated grip connector is already fused. If I was going to set up a relay actutated, ignition on auxiliary fuse block, I'd put it under the seat near the battery and power the relay from O/W wire there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
greywolf said:
The heated grip connector is already fused. If I was going to set up a relay actutated, ignition on auxiliary fuse block, I'd put it under the seat near the battery and power the relay from O/W wire there.
This O/W wire is on both the 1000 and the 650? I was looking for sources of switched power and all I could find was using the heated grip connector or splicing into one of the lines from the bottom of the fuse box.

If you are refering to some other free wire/connector, do you have more details on where it is or what connector it is?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts