StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello crafty veterans. As I'm sitting in the house, cooped up and bored... I've been browsing the forums, learning, bookmarking, going off to see how to videos for maintenance and upgrades and trying to learn a lot. I have been mesmerized by the varied upgrades that many are putting on their trusty steeds and have added some of those items to my wish list as funds allow for this new lifestyle.

A number of upgrades I've seen here and around the world wideness of interwebs have been cosmetic or fashion more than function. That led me to think about some color themed changes and I was wondering (now I'm going to finally get to the point).

Anyone have experience getting any of your parts powder coated in different colors to accent or go with the color schemes of your bikes? Powder coated cross bars, crash bars, luggage racks/cages or any other metal bits and pieces that you've added your own flair to for making your ride as unique as the creature riding upon them?

Previous owner liked the yellow look. I'm not sure what to do about that. Maybe I embrace the hell out of it and really Mumble-Bee the heck out of my new partner in adventure time.
Mumble-Bee.jpg

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I made a luggage rack for my bike and had it powder coated, but I wouldn't say the color was chosen as an accent or anything. I thought about doing it in blue, but it would have been impossible to match the Yamaha blue, and on reflection it would have looked weird. In the long run, powder coating the luggage rack had mixed results. It looked good at first, and the powdercoat was a lot more durable than paint, but ultimately the finish gets worn by the topcase sitting on top of it. Anodization is probably a better choice for a luggage rack, though I have no idea what that would cost. The powdercoating cost me $100.00, I think (it's been a long time since it was done).
10.JPG
13.JPG

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Truck bed liner....As long as its black.

Reactions: NVDucati

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ive done several small parts like my bark busters and DIY GPS mount, and shifter relocation bracket, but wasnt to accent, just did all gloss black.

For the Vstrom I used vinyl to change its look.

I have done several powdercoating color changes to my dirt bikes and trials bikes. I have a spare oven and a dual voltage PC gun from Eastwood.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
916 Posts

·
Administrator
17,021 Posts
My 97 Honda Valkyrie was riddled with too much of that hideous to my eyes chrome, I have been slowly powdercoating that chrome to ink black.....looks so good with all that sexy yellow now!!!

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Powder Coating is a very good option for a lot of things. Particularly for user fabricated things like like brackets and bars, etc. It makes things like that look "finished". The home kits have gotten really good over time. The learning curve is pretty shallow. Some friends of mine, back East, made a oven and share it for their car, bike and honey-do projects. I got to play with it a little bit. Pretty amazing results.
From time to time I see pickup bed tool boxes for free or nearly free. I also see lot's of free electric ovens that would be an ideal heater / controller donors. Eventually, I'll build one with folding metal legs so it can be stored vertically for storage.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I've looked at some of those kits and I'm really tempted, but ultimately it's just easier for me to take it to a shop (especially if it's something bigger). There's a local place that'll coat my Trek 520 frame for a hundred bucks, and I can't beat that price doing it myself. Makes me wish I had more stuff that needed coating LOL.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Years ago when I was building my chopper I bought a HF Powder Coater and told my mom to look for a convection oven for me.
Well, she found one and gave it to me with a batch of cookie dough. o_O
I told her I needed it to powder coat motorcycle parts.
Her comment--------Shouda figured--:)
BTW, sold it before I ever used it, so no reviews

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I've looked at some of those kits and I'm really tempted, but ultimately it's just easier for me to take it to a shop (especially if it's something bigger). There's a local place that'll coat my Trek 520 frame for a hundred bucks, and I can't beat that price doing it myself. Makes me wish I had more stuff that needed coating LOL.
Yeah, there is a threshold of minimum use. Even though I have a sensitive thrift chromosome, that isn't my highest goal. It is more the not waiting and the necessary do-overs and upgrades of the stuff I build. (typically as a project evolves) I would think having one would make me less reluctant to re-do something that has already been finished.
My first choice would be to have a buddy living nextdoor with one.;)

·
Administrator
17,021 Posts
Do they have to remove the chrome first, or can they powder coat right over it?
My bud sand blasts it off which isn't hard to do, he then preps it and does the powdercoating thing. :)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
You can PC over chrome but the potential for flaking occurs.

PC is great for some things but others paint is king.

Home kits do work even the HF one. The problem is building a filtered PC booth so powder is not everywhere. I mean this stuff is like talc. Its stays airborne for a long time and the dust settles everywhere if you do not use a containment booth. Then having a oven big enough to put arts in. I have a toaster oven for doing small parts and its a real PITA getting even the smallest of brackets in without disturbing the powder.

Also there are good powders and not so good powders. The stuff from HF while cheap and does work does not have UV protectant in it. If exposed to sunlight the parts fade rather fast and look dull.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
  • Well I just ordered a dual-voltage powder coating gun from Eastwood along with some accessories. $190 with tax and shipping. I ordered a new wall mount oven for the kitchen. The Director of Domestic Tranquility thinks I'm a great person. But I need the old one for my shop.
  • My rational to go ahead is because I bought a Royal Enfield 650 and there isn't a lot of available stuff for it. So far I have fabricated a windshield mount and am now building a combo luggage rack / soft bag frame. Next up after that is a set of foot peg re-locator plates.
  • Is anyone else actively doing powder coating?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have powder coated the wheels, subframe and other bits as I rebuild my old Vee. Corrosion is king here in Hawaii, so trying to make things last awhile. I have changed some parts to silver as I think there is too much black on this bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts