StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
After many happy years riding a big touring bike, I have (nearly) decided on a Glee for future touring. But....there is some discussion in This forum about stator failures. I would be most unhappy if the stator failed 1000 kilometers from home!
Is this a seldom problem or is it something to be seriously taken into consideration?
Thanks from Denmark

Jon

·
Registered
491 Posts
Just install a series regulator, problem solved!

uncaged

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Almost all motorcycles have their charging system coils internal to the engine cases. I don't think V-Stroms are significantly more likely to develop coil issues than other models. Changing to a series regulator/rectifier will keep the stator cooler.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,210 Posts
While installing a different style regulator/rectifier MAY lessen the chance of stator failure, it has not been shown to be a guarantee. If you consider how many 2012 and newer DL 650's have been sold and how many miles get put on them, I don't see a failure rate that is a concern. I have the OEM R/R on mine, I have about 20,000 miles on it. I do HIGHLY recommend a voltmeter of some sort. Should there be a failure, the voltmeter can make a HUGE difference in where you can get to for a diagnosis/repair. You could actually do a stator replacement along the road fairly easy if it puts your mind at easy to carry a spare.

I had a voltmeter on a DL 1000 and it immediately alerted me to a failed charging system. I rode 27 miles home ( unhooked both headlights ) in heavy traffic and it still had plenty of power to start the engine. So, consider a voltmeter a necessary farkle imo.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Most forums will have a similar topic but a different part.
It's natural that someone posts up failures especially if it's a low mileage bike.
IMO the Strom is a great buy for the price, aimed at an eclectic group of riders.
My 2015 DL 650 has 18000k on it, I run some extra lights, GPS etc.
No problems with bike. (Apart from not enough time to ride lately)
If you buy new it's still a bit of a lottery, many stories of new lemons with any vehicle.
I would say buy the Glee and ride it.

·
Administrator
13,197 Posts
Hi
After many happy years riding a big touring bike, I have (nearly) decided on a Glee for future touring. But....there is some discussion in This forum about stator failures. I would be most unhappy if the stator failed 1000 kilometers from home!
Is this a seldom problem or is it something to be seriously taken into consideration?
Thanks from Denmark

Jon
Welcome aboard Jon!

As has basically been mentioned you will only hear of the failures and rarely the lack of a failure. Most people don't have failures but some do.

Did not have any failures on my DL650's.. check below on the mileage I put on them.

..Tom

·
Administrator
16,593 Posts
Buy with confidence, have to be good reasons why these bikes are so popular and a worldwide success. Plenty of worse issues have been had with much more expensive bikes, these bikes overall are damn reliable and damn fun.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the DL650 is probably the most reliable bike you can buy. I suspect that stator failures are a result of low oil levels. I have no evidence to substantiate that but it's common sense and a swag, considering where all the stators failed up at the top of the windings. Buy it you will love it..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi everyone

Thanks for all your replies - it is really reassuring to read your mesages.
So I'm off to the dealer to complete the deal.

Why though, haven't Suzuki fixed that regualor yet? I remember having a Suzuki GS400 back in 1978 with the same problem!

Again thanks for your help

Jon

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Stromers

I've spent a lot of time here learning about the Vstrom.
It sounds like the bike for me.
Currently have a Suzuki Vl800, but not built for the long haul.
Got my eye on a 2006 DL1000.
I do have a question: Got the Vee and the Wee, but what's a Glee ?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Hey Stromers

I've spent a lot of time here learning about the Vstrom.
It sounds like the bike for me.
Currently have a Suzuki Vl800, but not built for the long haul.
Got my eye on a 2006 DL1000.
I do have a question: Got the Vee and the Wee, but what's a Glee ?
See Here for info

·
38,048 Posts
Sometimes I think my sig is invisible.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Sometimes I think my sig is invisible.
Yes it is. Might be more visible if in bold red. But someone new to the forum does not know where to look to begin with. I thought there is a sticky with the names but it did not pop up right away when I was looking for it. Is there one?

·
38,048 Posts
Okay. There is only one other sticky. I made a new one with a link to the sticky thread in the general forum and added a link about the K, L model year designations from our sister forum at VSRI. Newbies often ask about that too. VSRI is practically a library of tech info.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Greeting Jondajon! Buy a glee and be happy! I did 70K miles on a Honda ST1300 and went to a '15 XT ( I love the spokes) and couldn't b happier! I still do 700 mile days and camp during extended rides.. I just don't worry so much about gravel roads!

I agree with the above posts that any forum for any bike amplifies the faulty parts.. On the ST it was water pumps and spline failure. And like any bike there are fixes if you wish to fix or at least lower the percentage of failure.

I've started on my XT as soon as i bought it after reading the notes on this forum.. I'll get to the series regulator/rectifier a little later.. I've got miles to go and gas to buy yet! :)

Try and find one to ride to see if it fits.. understand you ARE gonna hafta farkle it some... and don't worry about the small stuff!

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
stator failure

Mine failed at 146,000 km

But that's not a complaint it's an endorsement for the amazing engineering and quality of Suzuki parts.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Just got my 8th V Strom couple of weeks ago. Glee - for the first time. Before there was - 2 Vee and 5 Wee. Never have had charging problems (knock knock). I must also say that so far (after only 300km or 200 miles) Glee fits me the most out of these 3.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts