StromTrooper banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit a pot hole on N I-25 (by Thornton Parkway in the zig-zag construction area, mandatory lanes and traffic) which dented BOTH my rims. I pulled over to check it out and at slower speed, the front became mushy confirming what I had expected. Wasn't till I checked the back did I see it dented as well. Can these be fixed, or am I about to open my checkbook to Suzuki? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Banned
66 Posts
Uh, yeah for now. call your insurance.....I'd also immediately contact Colorado Department of Transportation and file paperwork for reimbursement. They endangered your life as well, so you might want to talk to a lawyer. Glad you're ok.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Check with your state/county/city maintenance dept, depending on who has jurisdiction of the road. There is usually a fund for repair of rims from pothole damage. Pretty sure you'd have to get some photo documentation, i.e., go back and take a pic, quickly, before they fix the hole. Not saying that it's a done deal to get your money, but I know that there is a process here in OH. In lieu of that, you can always file with your insurance.

·
Registered
223 Posts
That must have been quite the pot hole. Then again... I guess it's all about how you hit 'em.

I hit a pothole and had the city pay for the damage. It was a huge pot hole which caused a tractor trailer to flip right after I hit it - live pigs running around everywhere.

Being compensated by either the contracting company or the city isn't unheard of so don't forget about that. Besides, a motorcyclist hitting a pot hole is SO dangerous compared to a car so if you play your cards right, they might just sympathize a little more so than if it were a car.

As for fixing the rim, I am pretty sure it can be fixed. Doesn't looked cracked or all that bad. Quickly rip the wheels off and bring them over to the local shop. See what they have to say.

·
Registered
15,911 Posts
I've had Beemer rims repaired before.
David Moore in Hesperia Ca.
760 240 4590
There are several folks around the country that do it. I can't recommend Dr John in Orange county...pricey and David made the repaired rim even better.
I googled MC rim repair and it has a gob of info.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Please let us know if you get "repair" or "replace".

The traditional steel wheels with spokes are MUCH more forgiving and repairable.

From what I have read regarding aluminum wheels, they are NOT very repairable....but perhaps there are some firms out there which can help out.

I know there are some firms which can repair bent front-forks when they look like junk.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I bent a front rim at 1mph, really doesn't take much. Try Woodies in Colorado.

·
Registered
15,911 Posts
The traditional steel wheels with spokes are MUCH more forgiving and repairable.

Truer words were never writ. I hit a pot hole 2 up on my spoked GS rims, no problem, and other fellers hit the same hole on their Alunimium wheels and suffered big dents

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all, but the kicker to it all now is that timing couldn't be worse. I leave for overseas tomorrow morning, so spending time with kids today, ... will try to get the pixs of the pot hole ASAP, then work on the paperwork when I get the chance. I talked to a couple people about getting reimbursed from CDOT and they said not likely. Will work it out one way or the other. Maybe a set of used rims from the junk yard? THanks again. Bill

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
3rd person who said Woody's was the place to go. I talked to an Aprilla buddy who said his was dented worse and Woody's fixed him up. Also, it just looks "pushed" out of place on 1 side of the rim, no cracking, so I'm positive that it won't be too bad. Many Thanks to all for info. bg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts