StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I have been a member of this forum since 2008 and have owned 3 wee stroms, I do not post. As a result, I am unable to place a post in the Wanted section of the forum....presumably because I don't have the requisite 20 posts. Does anyone know if there is anyway around the 20 post requirement?

Thanks

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,047 Posts
Does anyone know if there is anyway around the 20 post requirement?

Thanks
Like it says in the rules, You must have more than 20 posts and be a registered member for more than 20 days before posting in this section, or a $tromtrooper Membership. You can achieve the latter with a $20 donation.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Like it says in the rules, You must have more than 20 posts and be a registered member for more than 20 days before posting in this section, or a $tromtrooper Membership. You can achieve the latter with a $20 donation.
I wonder how long it will be before we discover that a $20 "donation" will be required for many more sections of this forum??

I have never understood why money is required for some basic features on a site run by a corporation with a heap of advertising revenue? :confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand that running a forum is not free. I also understand that the forum's owners do not want the forum to simply become a classified ad site for non-forum members because it would reduce advertising revenue.

Therefore, as we turn to the business case, limiting use of the "wanted" section does not make “business sense” and decreases the value and attractiveness of the forum -- again reducing potential advertising revenue. However, one of the basic tenets of a free market economy is the right to make “bad” business decisions. [/SIZE]

·
38,047 Posts
What we really need is an Advertising free Forum.:mod2_shifty:
That's how it was when I joined.

Then more people joined.

Then more expensive hardware was needed to handle the load.

Then more people joined.

Then more time and money was needed to administer the site.

Then more people joined.

Then advertising was started to keep Brendan from going broke.

Then more people joined.

Then the site got big enough to attract spammers.

Then more people joined.

Then Brendan couldn't handle the load and sold the site to Verticalscope.

Then more people joined.

And so on until need, policies, money issues, complaints, good and bad requests for change, volunteer turnover, praise and rule changes all evolved to deal with the problems and benefits of having the site up and running.

There is a good, advertising free (if you discount the fact the site owner is a vendor here) V-Strom forum at http://vsari.com/index.php and it will probably remain so as long as it doesn't grow too expensive or shrink to nothingness.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
I'd question which rules take precedence? :confused:

Seems to me that the "rules" that are so enforced were created well before this forum was sold out to Vertical Scope, and most are no longer relevant on a corporate owned forum.

To me, Vertical Scope's Terms of Use override the "rules".

For example, their Terms of Use state:

You may not:
Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Web Site.

So to me, not allowing a registered forum member to post in any section is against these Terms of Use. There should be no archaic post limits, or time limits forced on a member who has signed up to use and view this forum.

·
38,047 Posts
The terms of use apply to the membership. Administrators and moderators are going to inhibit spammers, join to sell drones and people who break the rules.

·
Forum Admin
11,174 Posts
We got to a point where we were spending such a huge amount of time deleting posts and banning spammers [all volunteer time fyi] that it was becoming almost impossible to manage, and that would definitely inhibit users from using and enjoying the website.
If someone has the need to post in one of those areas, it is a simple enough matter to contact an admin. It has been known to happen that a persons post count suddenly becomes sufficient.
:fineprint:

I'd question which rules take precedence? :confused:

Seems to me that the "rules" that are so enforced were created well before this forum was sold out to Vertical Scope, and most are no longer relevant on a corporate owned forum.

To me, Vertical Scope's Terms of Use override the "rules".

For example, their Terms of Use state:

You may not:
Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Web Site.

So to me, not allowing a registered forum member to post in any section is against these Terms of Use. There should be no archaic post limits, or time limits forced on a member who has signed up to use and view this forum.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
Good to see some common sense prevail.

Pretty sure that was all the OP was asking for. :bom_rolleyes:

·
38,047 Posts
I upped his post count after I saw him post padding. It was a toss up with suspending him. I still have trouble getting over somebody's unwillingness to participate enough to do 21 real posts or give up $20 but suddenly need to make money selling something. How difficult is it to get beyond "nice pic" to do a legitimate post? I forgot about his association with this thread until I went back to post #1 and recognized his name.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I should start by apologizing - it was not my intent to create controversy on the forum.

I find this forum useful and do purchase products from advertisers through the forum links as a way of showing my support.

I generally don't post to this forum because I am not sure what I could add. Most of the members of the forum are much more knowledgeable than I.

However, I will shortly submit a post to the forum on how to turn the 650 VStrom into a very (very) good long distance “tourer” compleat with foot-boards (and with pictures).

thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts