StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's snowy and cold today, but the days are getting longer and March is around the corner. Somebody will be riding soon and I'd love a post about it as I'm unusually anxious to start my riding season and it would feel good to live vicariously through you. My bike is buried a bit so it won't come out until April, I think.

Seriously, it would brighten my day to see a pic of a V-Strom riding somewhere (especially in Onrario).

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
So far I had a chance to ride few times in December, couple of days in January and couple in February as well. Perhaps all together 1000 km so far.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Between commuting and riding for fun, I have just shy of 3K miles since November.
You are the man. I LOVE that photo. On another note, I wish the 2014s we're available in yellow - it looks great.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The forecast here is for sun and semi-tolerable temps over the weekend and into next week; 5-7 deg C. I plan to be out and doing some noodling around, though I'll likely avoid any speed-induced wind chill and stay to leisurely riding. But I am getting seriously itchy feet (wheels) to get out and ride. Maybe I'll take a pic by some charming view, and smile and pretend its actually warm....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ils sont bizzare, les Quebecois.... Or, it makes sense given the probable weather and road conditions. I have an friend in Toronto, from the modern Vespa group, who has no car but rides and commutes all year round if possible. He and his wife also go to their cabin, somewhere 'up there' on their big scoot. So, it is possible to be riding in the winter season, but I don't find temps below 5 deg C very appealing.

BTW, the avatar is strangely compelling, though still strange....

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Finally came down from a couple of 38 degree C days

Been very nice mid 20s to low 30s

and this was earlier this week complete with serious Tstorm -
Well that was an interesting couple hundred k

Lovely ride up to Daintree Village tho I could see some flood damage and water was still high. 30 degrees - nice tail wind on the ride and a yummy BLT at The Junction on the way up ...deserved a photo.

Knew there was chance of thunderstorm and I pulled into service station in Mossman for fuel grabbed a really cold drink for the road heat was taking my breath away in front of this storm
- good with the sealable tip for future use and I was perishing with heat...wet down what I could and felt better.

Rode the twisties on the James Cook to some rock n roll and came around the corner about 20k from home

urk....pulled over - put all the camera and phone gear away and actually welcomed the first cool breath of the Tstorm and small bit of rain.

I wasn't fooling with this one tho ...black as sin and towering and fortunately slowly moving toward me as winds were from the south.

someone caught it perfectly

Lots of damage and power outs

Thousands of people are without power, trees have been felled and Skyrail has had to abandon its operations following a short, sharp storm across Cairns this afternoon.

The cell rolled in suddenly just before 2-PM, bringing heavy rain, lots of lightning strikes and gale-force winds.

WATCH THE STORM IN FULL FORCE:
https://www.tropicnow.com.au/2019/february/19/cyclone-like-storm-leaves-a-trail-of-destruction-through-cairns.html

Partner was watching from the 5th floor at the Base Hospital

Some vicarious riding for you. >:)

·
Registered
273 Posts
I got several rides in during December and January. Did not get on the bike in February. I am getting really anxious.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally came down from a couple of 38 degree C days

Been very nice mid 20s to low 30s

and this was earlier this week complete with serious Tstorm -
Well that was an interesting couple hundred k

Lovely ride up to Daintree Village tho I could see some flood damage and water was still high. 30 degrees - nice tail wind on the ride and a yummy BLT at The Junction on the way up ...deserved a photo.

Knew there was chance of thunderstorm and I pulled into service station in Mossman for fuel grabbed a really cold drink for the road heat was taking my breath away in front of this storm
- good with the sealable tip for future use and I was perishing with heat...wet down what I could and felt better.

Rode the twisties on the James Cook to some rock n roll and came around the corner about 20k from home

urk....pulled over - put all the camera and phone gear away and actually welcomed the first cool breath of the Tstorm and small bit of rain.

I wasn't fooling with this one tho ...black as sin and towering and fortunately slowly moving toward me as winds were from the south.

someone caught it perfectly

Lots of damage and power outs

https://www.tropicnow.com.au/2019/february/19/cyclone-like-storm-leaves-a-trail-of-destruction-through-cairns.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET6p2dDtGAE

Partner was watching from the 5th floor at the Base Hospital

Some vicarious riding for you. >:)
I believe this qualifies as trolling, Macdoc. You know what the weather's like up here :wink2:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never really stopped so didn't take any pictures of my first ride in 2019. I have 1,743 km on my bike so far this year.

..Tom
That's impressive. Are you commuting on it or just tooling around?

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
ahem .....

Post your first ride, please!
no geographical restrictions indicated and they were my first rides of many ....>:)

I can see the joy from my front door cam in Mississauga

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
That's impressive. Are you commuting on it or just tooling around?
So far a bit more just riding than commuting. I have done a few 300-400 km rides on days off. With commuting you have to make sure the weather will be good at both ends of the day. With casual rides you can head home any time things aren't perfect.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts