StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm nearing a decision on an AM shield and given the widely-varying reports of success and disappointment, it's probably going to come down to aesthetics and to a lesser degree, money.

So far, I'm liking the MP screen the best but I'd like to see some "real-world" pics of any and all AM shields on a 'Strom. Some of the pics the vendors put up are too close so I can't really tell how their shields look in the overall context of the bike.


Thanks,

Martin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
Mine was $5 in a can of spray paint and some automotive door edge trim.

30 minutes of marking and grinding, then some sanding.

No more buffeting!

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
229 Posts
mokusbajusz said:
oldgoat,

are these fresh pics? Are you telling me that there is snow there even in mid of june? Uhhh here is 32+ Celsius, my balls just boils.
Around 28-32° here also the past few days. Snow melts in March here
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
16,597 Posts
MonkeyGrass said:
Mine was $5 in a can of spray paint and some automotive door edge trim.

30 minutes of marking and grinding, then some sanding.

No more buffeting!

That looks really good...geat job!!!! :wink: But now...you just get allot of clean wind in your face. Am I right or wrong, in that statment?

Guess I am lucky, I get next to ZERO wind in my face, or head bobble with my Givi. Also, almost NEVER have to clean my faceshield either! :)

Really nice work though!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
Big B said:
That looks really good...geat job!!!! :wink: But now...you just get allot of clean wind in your face. Am I right or wrong, in that statment?

Guess I am lucky, I get next to ZERO wind in my face, or head bobble with my Givi. Also, almost NEVER have to clean my faceshield either! :)

Really nice work though!!!!!
Indeed, I do get a LOT of clean wind in my face. But, that's what I was going for - I also have a 22" Givi tall shield for winter/highway touring and living in the land 'O' humidity (loverly NC) wind is a *must* for my summertime commuting/city riding. I'm a gear hound, and in order for me to fully gear up in the summer time (96* yesterday and that was the first day of summer) I want all the wind I can get in my face.

Thanks B!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
OK - here is a Secdem windshield on Madstad mounts...







The windshield was better than stock - but not as good as I had hoped, with the Madstad mounts - almost perfect. No buffeting and much reduced wind noise up to 85 mph. (I didn't test past that - sorry)

Take care.
Bob S.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,406 Posts
WOW, that's high, and tilted. Looks bizarre, kind of like it is separate from the bike.

If it works though, its worth it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Here's my wee-Strom with a Cee Baileys screen.

It works well enough, if I put it in a higher position, I get zero buffeting and can ride at 120kph with my visor up. However, that means looking square through the top few inches of it. A pain when it rains and both the screen and my visor get wet.

I've dropped it to the lowest position in this shot, I get a little buffeting, but not much, plus I can see over the top of the screen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Really like the idea of a cut down screen.

How do I go about cutting it?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,406 Posts
I cut mine down and it is a big improvement. I was nervous about making too big a change at once so I cut off 1" at a time.

Apply masking tape along an approximate cut line. Draw out your actual cut line. Cut shield with a dremel. I used a cutting wheel and just worked away, bit by bit, layer by layer. I got good at it and the last cut I made took about 15 minutes, start to finish. Use a belt sander, or similar, to smooth out upper edge. Pretty easy. I'm now running with 3-1/2" cut off mine. Its windy, which is nice for the summer, and the air flow is much more consistent.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
205 Posts
Martin said:
Well, I'm nearing a decision on an AM shield and given the widely-varying reports of success and disappointment, it's probably going to come down to aesthetics and to a lesser degree, money.

So far, I'm liking the MP screen the best but I'd like to see some "real-world" pics of any and all AM shields on a 'Strom. Some of the pics the vendors put up are too close so I can't really tell how their shields look in the overall context of the bike.


Thanks,

Martin
Here's a closeup and a profile:



No buffeting for me- and the shield looks great! I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam- I look just over the shield. Some have remarked negatively about the black border, but it's kinda like eyeglass rims to me- you get used to it and don't notice them...

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
stromguy said:
Some have remarked negatively about the black border, but it's kinda like eyeglass rims to me- you get used to it and don't notice them...
I don't think the black edge would be an issue for me either; it doesn't look any worse than that huge bead around the edge of the stocker.

- Martin
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top