StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I finished installing Galfer lines and scintered pads on the front of my '09 Wee yesterday. I purchased the set from Blair and got the +2" lines since I have a Protaper ATV Hi handlebar. I also purchased Speedbleeders for the front and back. Everything came in yesterday so with it being the long weekend I'll have to wait for Tuesday for some tech support. So I need some advice from this very experienced group.

First off, the Speedbleeders for the front didn't work - the stock ones are longer. I used part number SB7100S in the stainless steel. My bad since the web site quotes that part number through '08. Has anyone installed Speedbleeders on an '09 with the stock Tokico calipers and do you know the correct part numbers? I also have part number SB8125 for the rear and have not tried that one yet. I managed (with the help of my two daughters) to bleed the lines the old-fashioned and time consuming way with success. Also, I should have purchased the double banjo bleeder with the kit so if you are planning this upgrade, get it. I didn't realized that the lines were stacked at the master cylinder - I thought they would come as an assembly like the stock one. The double banjo bleeder should make bleeding that area a snap and is only $20.

Second, how the heck to I secure the brake lines now? Since the attachment points on the old brake line are all press fit, it doesn't seem like I can re-use them without destroying the old brake line assembly. There are three attachment points: left, right, and at the triple clamp. I left the metal bracket attached on the left side but the grommet is glued to the brake line and probably won't fit the new line anyway. The right side now just has the 8mm bolt and I need to find one a bit shorter to re-attach the fender. And there's nothing on the triple clamp since that bracket is press fit on the old brake line. Has anyone managed to figure out an elegant solution or are your lines just kinda dangling?

I plan on doing the rear brake today. Any gotchas on that?

I've searched this site, ADVrider, and the vendor web sites. I've read through some of the threads on this but haven't seen anything conclusive on securing the lines. Pics would be nice. I think this was a very worthwhile upgrade but I'm concerned about making sure the lines are properly secured. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Sorry, I can't help much ecxept to say that you want to be sure to rubber-wrap your stainless lines and secure them proberly; they tend to slowly cut through any metal they touch.

As far as I know, the stock "rubber" lines are steel-braided; they just have the steel sleeve on the inside and it's well coated in rubber.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Sorry, I can't help much ecxept to say that you want to be sure to rubber-wrap your stainless lines and secure them proberly; they tend to slowly cut through any metal they touch.

As far as I know, the stock "rubber" lines are steel-braided; they just have the steel sleeve on the inside and it's well coated in rubber.
Cut open a stock line when you get a chance. They do have a braid embedded in the rubber, but it's a string like fiber and not too much of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Took a trip to Home Depot and found this in the electrical section.

Right side I used the 3/8", left side a little bigger for the speedo cable and brake cable so I used the 1/2", and for the two brake lines at the triple clamp I used the 5/8" so they could slide a bit if needed.

Left side. I used two black zip ties higher up to secure the speedo cable to the brake line.

Right side. Used a slightly longer bolt from my "Japanese Style" track pack which I keep on the bike.

Much cleaner looking than what was there before. Still need to deal with the Speedbleeders. The stock bleeders are weeping brake fluid now - I should have put some teflon tape on when I replaced them. :headbang:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Took a trip to Home Depot and found this in the electrical section.

Right side I used the 3/8", left side a little bigger for the speedo cable and brake cable so I used the 1/2", and for the two brake lines at the triple clamp I used the 5/8" so they could slide a bit if needed.

Right side. I used two black zip ties higher up to secure the speedo cable to the brake line.

Left side. Used a slightly longer bolt from my "Japanese Style" track pack which I keep on the bike.

Much cleaner looking than what was there before. Still need to deal with the Speedbleeders. The stock bleeders are weeping brake fluid now - I should have put some teflon tape on when I replaced them. :headbang:
Thats the ones...home depot for 1.50 or so, be sure to give em slack for suspension movement.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I contacted SpeedBleeder and they are sending me a pair of SB7100 (no 'S') SpeedBleeders in the stainless steel for the front Tokico calipers. These are about 5mm longer so hopefully they will work. I'll report back after I've tried them.

I found the customer service at SpeedBleeder to be beyond excellent. The gal I spoke to answered on the second ring (there was no auto-routing) was extremely knowledgeable, helpful and friendly, and immediately offered to send out a set for me to try free of charge. Great company so consider their products next time you need to work on your brakes.

UPDATE: Yes, the SB7100 bleeders work fine. They are a bit taller than stock but that's no big deal - I can still get a silicone hose on them easily. So if you've got an '09 Wee, these are the bleeders to get.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts