StromTrooper banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping that it would never happen, but Monday night some knuckle head lady decided that it would be a good idea to make a right hand turn from the middle left turn only lane, right in front of me. No time to do anything but grab some brake and go right. I ended up hitting her passenger door, almost like a side swipe.
My Givi crash bars did their job and saved all the plastic and did some pretty impressive damage to the door. Bounced off the door, and me and the bike ended up falling to the pavement on the right side.
Damage to me was pretty minimal considering. Got a sore left shoulder,elbow and knee from hitting the door, big problem is I tore the crap out of my groin muscles, I think from sticking my right leg out in an attempt to catch the bike when I bounced off the door and was falling. My thigh is purple from my crotch almost to the knee and hurts like a Mo-Fo, to much to ride.
Overall damage to the bike was minimal, bar end weight bent down, both handguards scuffed and cracked, crashbars scuffed to bare metal on both sides but don't appear to be bent, both Seahorse bags with minor scuff's and some paint damage to the left side of the front fender and the upper left fairing, no cracks, and a scuff mark on the windscreen from the van's mirror. Bike seems to run and ride like it did before the crash.
So my question is, is there anything I should be looking for, or anything I should ask to have checked out when it gets to a shop? Bent front end etc.
Also, when the big guy was on it's side taking a 30 min. nap, he had a nocturnal emission of fuel. Should I assume that the air filter is fouled with gas, or there is gas in the oil now?
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
First off, if you got out of that in a style that allows you to walk, talk, type and move...

...THAT IS AWESOME!

Banged up, but not broke.

Sorry to hear that this unfortunate collision occurred.

I'd check the wheels, forks, examine the frame for bends, cracks, etc. (chances are that it is OK), you may have oil in your airbox, chances of fuel in the crankcase are slim with fuel injection and tip over switch, etc.--I think.
At this rate, an oil and filter are cheap anyway...

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
Wow, lucky outcome for you!!! Dang wench messed up your groinal area.....she might have to help you with that.....!:confused:

Pain and suffering, especially where one's groin is concerned, is definitely worth something......."hello, Allstate?"

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
First off, if you got out of that in a style that allows you to walk, talk, type and move...

...THAT IS AWESOME!

Banged up, but not broke.

Sorry to hear that this unfortunate collision occurred.

I'd check the wheels, forks, examine the frame for bends, cracks, etc. (chances are that it is OK), you may have oil in your airbox, chances of fuel in the crankcase are slim with fuel injection and tip over switch, etc.--I think.
At this rate, an oil and filter are cheap anyway...

I concur, cracks and bends are the biggest issues in this case. Check the frame welds closely with a flashlight and mirror, try to be within 24" and not more than 30 degrees of the welds, use the mirror to gain acces and keep within these guidlines (I inspect nukes, and its code reqiurements for visual weld inspection) Shine the light at different angles to inhance resolution (cracks are typically either straight or jagged lines, look for chipped or flaking paint as well in these areas, remove if needed in an effort to see the base metal and verify no cracks exist) .If the handle bars are still square there is a very good chance you got away clean.
Ride the machine and take it slowly, veryify no abnormal shimmy exists, as time goes on your conficnce will increase, but take it slowly and check tire wear patterns periodicly, this could be a very good indicator that somthing is amiss with your machine.

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
Ooorah for the Crashers.
My purples are fading now but having a lower half colored like a psychedelic shirt is interesting!
Glad your injuries seem minor. beware the next couple weeks. I have hearing loss in the right ear from being inside the helmet when it got broken on the ground. That didn't show up for about 10 days. We'll see if the meds help.
The insurance adjuster is coming on Monday to have a look at the bike. All the plastic forward of the tank is trash as is the luggage.
Moral, Buy as much insurance as you cannot afford and cover your butt!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just make sure she rides straight. Make sure the rotors or the wheels didn't hit the curb. As for the gas, it was probably just seeping out of the vent hose. As was previously stated it's next to impossible to leak gas into the engine with a fuel injected bike.

Lucas

·
Registered
20 Posts
Glad you did not get hurt. A buddy of mine was involved in an accident today. Man in a truck ran a red light and he hit him on the back quarter panel. The guy even stopped and helped him up and helped him move his bike. Then he left. I picked up my friends bike and at first did not think there was much damage (not a dl, but sv1000), but the fork may be tweaked a little. He has some broke ribs and a very sore shoulder. His helmet is a post child for why you should wear one. Sorry again for your accident and check out your forks.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mine was toast from the moment of impact. $7000.00 worth of damage from a 15mph crash. RIP Strom, you were a good girl.

I walked away from the impact with a scuffed right forearm. But I was sore for a week.

I was really surprised at the nagging internal pain that I had for a couple of months afterward. X Rays showed no broken bones but I felt structurally "loose" for a long time. I think I must have stretched/strained/torn connective tissue in my neck and shoulder area.

Two thumbs way, way up for a full face helmet. I could hear the pavement and asphalt grinding through the helmet but I had absolutely no head injury at all. Same thing happened 30 years ago in my only other crash. Had a scuff mark on my chin bar--Doctor told me I would have shattered teeth and jaw if not for the helmet, which was a cheap "Let's give you a helmet with the bike" Fulmer.

You walked away, you can still ride. Life is good!

·
Registered
15,922 Posts
What I said about having post accident reactions....I had a heart attack and got a Stent installed the day after the INS Adjuster came to the house.
Some things just take time to manifest themselves.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I suggest

I suggest you find a lawyer that does lots of M/C crashes. My G/F had a parking lot crash, less than 10 MPH on her new (back then) '97 HD Springer, over $23K in damages (trick paint, tons of chrome etc) and all these years later she's still having major problems with her shoulder. She's no sissy, she a tough gal! No she didn't get a lawyer, in hindsight, she's kicking herself for not getting one and she's suffers daily with her pain. The guy was pulling away from a bar room, drunk on his ass, cut right in front of her. He got off, she's still paying. =
Get a good lawyer. You may be paying forever with problems down the road.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts