StromTrooper banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up guys for the past few weeks it's been raining in my town and I believe water got into my tank for the past week sometimes it won't start when I go to fire her up and other times it does I went to leave work this morning the bike started but it died down after about 3 seconds now I don't know if there's water in the tank or whatever else is going on but I need help. If it's not water in my tank what other problems could it be???

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You already suspect water so First:
Siphon the tank into a glass containers and look for water on the bottom of the glass containers, also drain and purge the gas lines all the way to the engine.
Once you drain the tank you can have a look inside with a cheap "bore-scope" for possible water/dirt and deposits.

Get a bike cover
...or (at the minimum) use a garbage bag to cover the instrumentation, handlebar switches and fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
2,845 Posts
What's up guys for the past few weeks it's been raining in my town and I believe water got into my tank for the past week sometimes it won't start when I go to fire her up and other times it does I went to leave work this morning the bike started but it died down after about 3 seconds now I don't know if there's water in the tank or whatever else is going on but I need help. If it's not water in my tank what other problems could it be???
It's unlikely rain water has entered the tank unless the filler cap seal is rotten. Most likely, you filled up with a bad tank of gas and any water has come from the gas station. Or, there have been large fluctuations in temperature and there is some condensation in the tank.

One thing to have a look at is the breather tube. Is it clogged or perhaps kinked? If it is, you might notice a vacuum when you open the filler cap. Usually, however, that causes trouble after running for awhile and becomes noticeable at higher rpm. Doesn't sound like that's what's happening in your case.

If rain water is the culprit, the issue is more likely electrical than fuel based. I will say this: My 2006 sat outdoors in all kinds of monsoon rain over a decade and a half and never suffered any ill effects.

If you think the fuel is contaminated, drain the tank and start fresh.

Reactions: V-Tom

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Any auto parts store will have products designed to remove water, basically some form of alcohol. (Not safe to drink, of course.) I had this issue with a Honda V65 Sabre once, due to the fuel outlet on the tank being a bit above the actual bottom of the tank. Over time the condensation built up at the bottom. I went nuts tring to diagnose the problem, after moving from a dry climate, where the problem never occured, to a more rainy area. Finally poured a bottle of Atlas brand "gas blaster" in the tank. It was just about pure methanol, mixed chemically with the moisture and cleared it out. Atlas is no longer around, but there are similar products.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Do a fuel flow test.

This will prove the pump and you can also look for water in the fuel collected.

·
Registered
222 Posts
That fuel cap drain line still go through the tank for that year? Common problem for earlier tanks, drain line would crack due to ice or debris wear. The debris can function like a plug for rest of hose and rain goes direct into fuel tank.

·
Registered
2014 DL 650, 2014 KLX250s
34 Posts
You can get a tube of this from Amazon or an auto parts store to determine if you have water in the tank.

Font Screenshot Material property Rectangle Parallel

1 - 9 of 9 Posts