StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Looking for a little advice -

I currently ride an '06 Ulysses and dig the ride but have decided I want to move in a slightly different direction. I dig the Uly but there are things I dislike such as:

Highway ride (wind buffering etc)
More street than trail

While I've read the many comparisons, I'm wondering what your opinions may be in my case - I'm a big guy - 6'5" 275lbs and one of the reasons I chose the Uly because it was a big bike. But the V (or maybe it's just me) seems to be just as suited, or maybe better suited, for a guy my size. Seems to be the same height but with a longer wheelbase.

Now I've got a chance at an '08 1000 Strom with 3500 miles and over $2000 in aftermarket trail accessories for just over $6K but I've only got a couple days to pull the trigger.

Thanks for your input and reading my rambling.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
That is a nice price. Very nice. As for your questions, others here will have sound advice coming soon, I am sure. I've never actually even seen a trail while atop my k6, so no use asking me. Personally, I think the Uly is kind of just plain homely. The Vee is better looking. Good luck!

·
Registered
588 Posts
A good buddy of mine switched from the Uly to a Veradero and after a swap of saddles last summer is reconsidering his choice. In his words, the Veradero was a much funner bike than the Uly but Strom is smoother and less "buzzy" overall.

I just smiled, smugly. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Hello all,

Looking for a little advice -

I currently ride an '06 Ulysses and dig the ride but have decided I want to move in a slightly different direction. I dig the Uly but there are things I dislike such as:

Highway ride (wind buffering etc)
More street than trail

While I've read the many comparisons, I'm wondering what your opinions may be in my case - I'm a big guy - 6'5" 275lbs and one of the reasons I chose the Uly because it was a big bike. But the V (or maybe it's just me) seems to be just as suited, or maybe better suited, for a guy my size. Seems to be the same height but with a longer wheelbase.

Now I've got a chance at an '08 1000 Strom with 3500 miles and over $2000 in aftermarket trail accessories for just over $6K but I've only got a couple days to pull the trigger.

Thanks for your input and reading my rambling.
I am 6'4" and close to your weight, the Vee works real well for me, loaded up with camping gear and riding 2 up, the power delivery is still there....
3500 miles is nothing on these bikes, I have over 60,000 miles on my 09...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input. I actually found that, after the owner gave me the VIN, it's a 2007 model. He'd not ridden it in some time and forgotten what year it was. Apparently it was purchased to adventure ride with his wife who had passed.

The extras, as listed by him are : "center stand, raised fender,
frt mud grd, radiator grd, side grds, bellie pan grd,chain grd, handle bar crash/brush grds,center handle bar, brushgrds on brake and shifter levers,
3 sets tires/full knobs, metzler karoos, stock units, heavy duty inner tubes, tubeless valve stems, leather side bags, elec accessory plug-in."

I'm pretty stoked and can't believe I happened upon an '07 with the above accessories and 3500 miles for such a great price.

gryphon51 - especially glad to see your post. One of my concerns was taking my wife on camping trips with it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks for all the input. I actually found that, after the owner gave me the VIN, it's a 2007 model. He'd not ridden it in some time and forgotten what year it was. Apparently it was purchased to adventure ride with his wife who had passed.

The extras, as listed by him are : "center stand, raised fender,
frt mud grd, radiator grd, side grds, bellie pan grd,chain grd, handle bar crash/brush grds,center handle bar, brushgrds on brake and shifter levers,
3 sets tires/full knobs, metzler karoos, stock units, heavy duty inner tubes, tubeless valve stems, leather side bags, elec accessory plug-in."

I'm pretty stoked and can't believe I happened upon an '07 with the above accessories and 3500 miles for such a great price.

gryphon51 - especially glad to see your post. One of my concerns was taking my wife on camping trips with it.
Sounds nice, but I'm curious. Have you seen it in person or at least seen detailed pictures? Were any of the spare wheels spoked, or did he use tubes in the cast wheels (slightly unusual)? It's also a little different to see leather side bags on a Vee, they usually are metal, plastic or textile. And I don't think I've ever seen brushguard on the brake and shift levers.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I'm a giant-- 6' 6" and around 3 bills--I chose the DL1000 for overall fit and comfort--there are a couple of easy tricks that make it fit a tall guy--and you will like the extra power on the hiway. But it isn't all that great for trails--it does well on gravel, but it you want a good trailbike shop for a cheap KLR650. Use the two together, and you will feel you have ALL bases covered.
I have a DL1000 K7 and an old cheap KLR and I am able to do any kind of riding and both bikes fit me so well I've never had this kind of fit before!
Buy em both used and you can have two bikes for the price of one. Used bikes usually have some farkles already.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I went from an 06 Uly ( I was left sranded 3 times alongside the road with the Uly) to a 650 Strom. I miss the power, but most of all I miss the suspension of the Buell. It was much better than on my Strom. I cannot speak to the 1000 issue however.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I went from an 06 Uly ( I was left stranded 3 times alongside the road with the Uly) to a 650 Strom. I miss the power, but most of all I miss the suspension of the Buell. It was much better than the Strom's. I cannot speak to the 1000 issue however.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Most would agree the DL1000 has an advantage over the Wee in suspension. Mine is stock and I have neer wanted any mods for the hiway, which is where it gets used 99% of the time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mako, wanna trade? K7 650 (you say you're looking at 1000, but whatever... :))

Kidding... sorta... But what is the major reason for wanting to swap? you said because of "ride buffeting, and more street than trai"l? well, that's the Strom in a nut-shell, whether it be 650, or 1000.

There are posters on this forum that claim the SV is a better off-roader than the DL... imagine that? There definitely are Strom riders that rock and roll, off road, but they're capable off-roaders, that just happen to use this bike as their platform. Bottom line is this... the Strom isn't doing the work for them. Also, if you're looking at offroad capabilities, the 650 is often touted as the victor when trying to get dirty.

And Last point... although I don't mind the wind at all, take note to the "wind buffeting Thread" on this forum. it's endless complaints matched with individual remedies to this constantly criticized issue. Like I said, though, it doesn't bother me, so i'm not trying to deter you, but if buffeting bugs you, it's probably not going to get much better by buying a Strom.

I am actually very curious about a Uly and have been for a long time. I like the looks, I like the engine, and I ride significantly more on road than off (roughly 99% more), and as proven by some very adventurous riders, you can make a GSX-R a capable off-roader if you just have the ability and will.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I went from an 06 Uly ( I was left stranded 3 times alongside the road with the Uly) to a 650 Strom. I miss the power, but most of all I miss the suspension of the Buell. It was much better than the Strom's. I cannot speak to the 1000 issue however.
mako, Dr. Paul beat me to the comment here. You might like the DL1K very much, but Stroms need suspension work to compare well to some other bikes. Your size, your riding and your previous bike??? Sure, the DLK is a strong option. But allow for suspension work in the deal. I recommend Sasquatch Suspension.

I was thinking of going from my Strom to a Uly. I had the suspension reworked and now I won't do it. I like my Strom a ton better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ended up passing on the '07. The owner told me he'd not ridden it in 3 years and only starts it once a year. I was worried about seals etc in the long run.
I picked up an '08 this morning with a ton of add-ons for $700 more.
Rode it home 90 miles down I-75 in 35-40 degree weather and loved it all the way.
The touring windshield made for little wind and coming from the Uly I am really digging the overdrive. Felt I was going 70ish and everyone else was being slow but looked down and 95mph smooth as butter.
Even got my buddy, who drove me down to get it, to pick up a 650 (it's on order).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What a great ride this is compared to my Ulysses. Not that the Buell is bad by any stretch of the imagination, I'm just more comfortable on this Strom and it fits my needs better. new bike.jpg

new bike2.jpg

new bike3.jpg

·
Registered
1,215 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
That's an awesome set-up. Can't wait for camping season myself.

The seat is aftermarket, though not sure of the brand. I compared it to the included stock seat and it seems a little wider and more saddle-ish. Sure is comfortable though.

One thing of note - this is my first center stand bike and WOW I felt like an idiot the first couple of attempts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts