StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 3 hour ride today up the coast from Laguna, I made a stop at Trader Joe's in Ventura. Loaded up the groceries and went to fire it up when it briefly acted like a dead battery before starting. Noticed the clock had reset back to 1AM. WTF?

About 20 minutes later, I stopped at a market a mile from home and it again had a hard time turning over but no reset. Got home. Shut it down...and waited a few minutes, then tried to restart. Clock reset and she won't turn over at all.

Can't be the batter since I replaced 6 months ago in August due to a similar experience. (In stop & go traffic when she just died at throttle down) The '05 is just shy of 40K. Got it on the tender now.

Could the TPS need replacing?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
A TPS problem shows up as a bad idle. You have a power problem. A bad battery or main battery cable connection is most likely or a low battery and bad charging system. Check the connections and have the battery load tested if the connections are good.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Check your connections across the battery. I've ran into this before on my SV and Vstrom. Do you have other items on the battery posts, besides just the standard plugs? If you do, what happens is that some where in there they are making a bad connection across plugs on the same pole, and you'll get what appears to an arc across one plug item to another and effectively kind of acts like it shorts out your battery. If you have the seat off, you'll hear the snap when it happens. If there is still somewhat of a decent connection, it still might start like it did for you a couple times, but other times it will act like the battery is totally dead when you know it should have power. When you take off both pos & neg terminals have them both off at the same time, you'll reset everything. Reattach just main plugs needed to run the bike and I bet it will start right back up. If you have multiple items attached, try to keep all the wires coming out of each connector as close as possible so that you don't get that jump of electricity from one item to the other.

This is a good reason to hook up an external fuse block with a relay for those extra items you need to get power to.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
If that's all it might be, I can resolve the issue myself. I can only think of two accessories I've tapped from the + post - the caliper Moto-Lights and the Stebal air horn (I'll check in the morning to confirm). Both have been on the bike for years without any ill effects.

I just want to exclude the fact that the anomaly seems to only occur when it's hot. That doesn't factor into the diagnosis?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I just want to exclude the fact that the anomaly seems to only occur when it's hot. That doesn't factor into the diagnosis?
Only that heat puts the battery under greater stress. The symptoms do not fit the TPS at all. It's a power problem.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,210 Posts
From the description in the first thread I'll bet there is a charging issue. Either the stator deteriorating, or possibly an effect caused by magnet creep. Definately need to test the output of the stator right away.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spooning on some Anakee2's this afternoon at Jett Tuning. I'll have John check out the charging system as well.

Thanks for narrowing it down for me.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
"It can't be the battery"?

Do not be so sure.

I had a brand new battery fail after less than a week.

The merchant apologized and gave me a new one for the corpse.
The replacement lasted about eight months, and died the same way.

The symptoms were what you report, and the replacement replacement
battery lasted a couple of years. I have changed merchants.

And I always carry a spare battery, trickle-charged from the taillight.

Keith

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
My 2007 is on it's 2nd stator in 40,000 miles!! Same symptons as yours!!.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I'm guessing it is a stator issue as other suggested.

The other thing is that if you are riding in a lot of stop and go traffic daily, you should be putting that bike on the trickle charger every night. Stop and go driving is hell on motorcycle batteries since the battery is always discharging at idle. The engine rpm has to be off idle for the stator to start producing enough juice to recharge the battery.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Confirmed by the man, John Ethell, at Jett Tuning...charging system failure. Either the stator or the rectumfier! (lol)

Hopefully the latter because all of Zook's stators are on the east coast. Won't have the part in time for the weekend! D'oh!

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
They are both VERY easy to change yourself.Did he test them??,they are not cheap parts...

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New rectifier installed, new shoes...ready to go pick her up just in time for the weekend! (Supposed to be 85 on Sunday in So Cal)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts