StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After enjoying the New Hampshire meetup, I was wondering whether there would be any interest in a V-Strom (and any others) meetup in the Adirondacks. Still thinking pretty hypothetically, I don't think there's time left to make a plan for this fall, but it would have to be either definitively before black fly season, or definitively after black fly season :)

Same drill, probably, as NH, we can find a place with camping along with some more cozy accomodations. I've stayed at the ADK campground at Heart Lake, which fits the bill, but is comparatively far north.

Anyone with thoughts, feel free to chime in.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
Fall Adirondack Adventure

SuperSlomo,
+1 for your idea. I was hoping we might get something together in the early fall for a weekend in the Adirondacks. Plenty of riding here, although I do not know of many dirt roads. There are many campgrounds here including the one you mentioned. How do you propose getting this thing off the ground.:thumbup:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heck man, this was as far as I got :)

Fall would be great, I'm just wondering whether we actually have the time needed to pull everyone together in time.

How late can we get and still look towards decent weather?

There are a few dirt roads inside the blue line, but I'm not that familiar with them. If anyone local up there has suggestions, I'm game to listen. I tend to be more into pavement anyway, myself.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Rich's WM weekend was AWESOME, and we'd be into doing a fall venture, even if it was only a handful of Stromfolk. We rode from Lake Champlain around the Saranac Lakes region and had a ball.

There don't seem to be any dirt roads of note but some of the Adirondack twisties are awesome.

I guess it all depends on available weekends since things are already so full.

We want to do an excursion Sept 29-30 and wouldn't mind some camping company. Low key.

pmk

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I'm in for spring
Can't in fall, soccer coach :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
It would depend on the weekend. A lot of my weekends in the fall are tied up with cyclocross races.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Cranberry lake or lake eaton would be a good spot to ride from not far from long lake the center of the park. We would be in for fall or spring if the date works.

·
Registered
529 Posts
New tires are installed , i am interested .
Apparently , based on the New Hampshire ( excellent ) experience , if enough of us are unleashed in a defined geographical area , we will find dirt roads !

Alex

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I've read and heard, there are precious few dirt roads in the entire preserve. There aren't a whole lot of "forest roads", as it's not federal forest.

Heart Lake offers the upside of giving folks the option to bunk indoors in private or non-private rooms, get cabins, camp on tent sites, or use a canvas cabin, the lake is right there, and is fantastic, and even lets you eat dinner on site if you are so inclined.

Eaton is a bit more centrally located, but no other accomodations are available on site, though it has plenty of room and is cheaper.

Some questions TBD later, the main issue is how early to make it so we avoid black fly season, but late enough that it's not too cold for folks to make the trip out.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Fall Meet

Gini and I would be up for another gathering. Love the Adirondacks! Columbus Day comes early this year (8th) and would make for a nice 3 day weekend for those who get it off. There is also usually an ADV camp out over the Halloween weekend at Recompense Campground in Freeport, Maine for the hardier souls. Check out advrider for more details.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts