StromTrooper banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After 6 years of riding a 2006 GSXR 600 I think I'm ready to change (after I've got everything how I want it of course). I have taken it on what I consider "long" trips of around 800-900 miles. Boy is it an uncomfortable trip! I started looking at sport touring bikes (like the bmw's and FJR style). Then a friend of mine bought a dirt bike, and I rode it (first time ever on a dirt bike), so I started looking at dual purpose bikes, but they just look uncomfortable for longer rides. I finally came across the adventure style bikes, and I think that is where I want to be. I know it will be a huge change from a sportbike, obvious lack of power being my only real complaint I guess (not having ridden an adventure type bike yet). I was pretty well hooked on the Triumph Tiger 800, then somebody mentioned the V-Strom.

I have some background of the image of a Strom in my head. When I first saw them, I thought, what an UGLY bike! I would never buy one! And on one of those 800+ mile trips I took with a small group, one of the guys had one. He never complained about comfort, and made fun of us needing to find a gas station so frequently. The only complaint I heard was him trying to keep up a couple of times.

So here I am, considering a Strom. I've looked at aftermarket parts, and it looks pretty good with them all installed. I guess the main thing keeping me from pull the trigger on it is the color available in the US, I'd much prefer white. (plus, I have to sell the GSXR first). There is a company that rents v-stroms near me, I was thinking about doing that for a couple days and see how it goes. But that's also $280...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I sold my kawi z750s and bought an 05 wee. I took the z750s all over, Blue ridge parkway, deals gap, lake placid NY. I thought I would miss the power.
But once I got on the wee......... Ah, comfort. Handles just fine for touring.
As for power, it makes it differently than the inline 4's. It pulls as soon as you let out the clutch. As opposed to the inline 4's which don't wake up until usually above 5k rmps.
Try one, if you think you are ready. Then you are ready.

cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts