StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 45,000 miles on my 07 DL-650. Lately it has been burning oil, at a rate of about 1/2 liter per 1,000 miles. I'm riding it a bit more aggressively, up-shifting at around 7k or 8k instead of my previous usual of 5.5k, so I'm not sure if that is contributing to the oil consumption.

Also, the last time I had the throttle bodies synced was last June (about 11,000 miles ago) and I'm not convinced they truly were synced; the two notes you hear during idling didn't quite sound even to me (can you tell I'm not a master mechanic?)

Which brings me to a novice mechanic question ... is syncing the throttle bodies the same as getting the valves checked? I don't think they're the same thing but I want to verify that. If they're different, I don't recall the last time I had the valves checked.

At 45,000 otherwise trouble-free miles, are there any major engine service events I should be considering?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Throttle bodies are part of the fuel injection system, valves are part of the actual engine... Valves open and close to let gas/air mixture and exhaust gases in and out of the engine... So to answer your question, no they are not the same thing... Check you manual to see what maintenance is needed at your current mileage...
As far as oil loss... V-stroms are known to lose some oil if they are run for any length of time at high speed...

By the way.... Throttle bodies themselves don't really make any sound (that you can hear over engine clatter anyway)... I think you mean valves?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Throttle bodies are part of the fuel injection system, valves are part of the actual engine... Valves open and close to let gas/air mixture and exhaust gases in and out of the engine... So to answer your question, no they are not the same thing.

Check you manual to see what maintenance is needed at your current mileage.

As far as oil loss... V-stroms are known to lose some oil if they are run for some length of time at high speed.

By the way.... Throttle bodies themselves don't make any sound (that you can hear over engine clatter anyway)... I think you mean valves?
That's what I thought about the difference between throttle bodies and valves. I've experienced oil loss on long-distance runs at relatively high speed in hot weather, but never running up and down the gears in the twisties until recently.

And when I was referring to the sound at idle, I wasn't thinking I was hearing any particular engine part, just that the rhythmic sound of the engine itself didn't sound even (like a drummer playing a single-note roll on a snare drum with one stick striking the drum louder than the other, if that makes any sense). It's subtle.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The firing pulses of a 90 degree V-twin common crankpin engine are not even. If they sounded even, then you'd need to worry.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The firing pulses of a 90 degree V-twin common crankpin engine are not even. If they sounded even, then you'd need to worry.
Ah, good to know!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
My bike went through oil at about the same rate.
I also had a tendency to keep the revs at 6,000+.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Your due.

45K inspect and adjust just done to my K7 Wee. By myself and another tech who owns the other half of our SDS (Suzuki Diagnostic System). Valves checked - still within spec, TB's synched (twat hair out of balance), fuel pump screen cleaned, oil and filter changed, fresh coolant, new iridium plugs, BRC air filter cleaned and oiled, new chain installed and front brake pads. Good to go for another season or three. Think I'll change the coolant hoses in another few weeks.:yesnod:

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Think I'll change the coolant hoses in another few weeks.
Please let us know what you see of the condition of the old hoses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts