StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang -

Am looking at the possibility of a Lolo (MT) Rally and Ride Event for a Saturday in September 2012. Would start with a pancake breakfast for riders at the school in Lolo and end that afternoon evening with a chili feed and music just up the road at Ropers/Travelers Rest restaurant and tavern. LOTS of route options (short, medium, long loops either up Lolo Pass/over to Lochsa Lodge or down to Kooskia/back . . . or south on 93 to Lost Trail Pass and over to Salmon or Wisdom and back, or adventure routes on combo paved/dirt backroads of all sorts in the Bitterroot/Lolo Pass MT and Idaho areas there. Sort of a one-day rally and festivity to help wind down the season for us up here. Anything you might be interested in? Just trying to get a sense from folks before ramping up the organizational process for doing it. Boise area folks - would that be something you might want to ride over for and return the next day? Spokane folks - same sort of thing? We'd love to have you all here if it sounds of interest to you! Let me know your thoughts, folks. Right now leaning toward last weekend in September - sun's up at 7:30am and down at 7:20pm so probably enough time for a full day, but we could look at moving it a bit earlier in September. We want to get clear of all the competing summer events going on, which is why we're picking September. . . Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Missoula Mike

·
Registered
278 Posts
I'd be interested too.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And bring that rowdy riding buddy of yours with you as well? :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Mike,

I love the area. I was out in Darby this past July for the AdvRider West Fest Rally. However, September 19-22, 2012 I'm commited to be at a military reunion for the ship I served on a very long time ago, actually just after the four-mast ships were used. So I need to pass on this one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If we get it off the ground this year, Chuck, and have it the following year, we'll expect you to show up with some good old sailor songs and a bottle of long-aged rum. I'd be interested in what ship you served on if you want to PM me the details. I love history! :)

Cheers from Missoula and I'll work on sending some of our new skiff of snow your way soon. Rode the bike this morning - fortunately the snow was up high and not on the road. M

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's 400 miles to Lolo for me, and I'd thoroughly enjoy making the trip again!

Will bring the fly rod though - so you guys may see me fishing as much as riding. Lochsa Lodge is a great place to eat, and stay, at the end of a long day of riding.

CW

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like a great way to finish up the riding season. Like to join the group if the schedule allows. Thank you Missoula Mike for making the effort for trying to arrange this event.

Denis

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You betcha. Appreciate your folks' feedback - it'll help in my discussions with the community/business folks.

Gotta like that fly rod/dual sport adventure philosophy. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
2012 Lolo rally/meet

Thank you MissoulaMike for taking the effort to set this up! I would be coming in from the Twin Bridges area. I would be happy to run the Skalkaho Pass so there would be a prerun to make sure the road is OK for some of the folks from out of the state.

MTStrom
k6 Wee, well farkeled, becoming well traveled

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi All -

Am still working with the "powers that be" of the community and will keep you updated on this. One way or another, large gathering or small, I think it'd be a great opportunity to gather a bunch of us together for some good runs. Depending on when people arrive, could set up run route options for Friday, for Saturday, and possibly Sunday.

DGIEM - thanks for the update. Skalkaho would be a fun run for folks as well! I'll also have to keep an eye open for you over there - I run by Twin on occasion doing a Missoula loop over to Pony, Ennis, Virginia City, Sheridan, Twin, etc. GREAT country and fun roads. Am eager to explore some of the less traveled roads over there one of these days. :)

Cheers and thanks all. Stay tuned for more info!

M

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
:lurk5: I will be in on this. I love any excuse to ride Montana. Thanks Mike for taking the time to put this event into motion.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a sneaky suspicion that SOMEone knows SOMEone who happens to like visiting microbreweries in the Missoula area. And by the way, the new one is off to a great start! :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Really appreciating folks touching base with regard to their possible interest in a Lolo mini-rally/ride for all types of riders and bikes. As I mentioned before, we're in the formative stages for doing a starter this next September. Latest update is the Lolo Community Council is excited about the idea and we'll meet more on it in the next two weeks. Starting with a kick-off breakfast at the school for all riders which starts early enough for those wanting longer time to ride and goes into mid morning. Ends with a later afternoon/into the evening chili feed/beverages and likely live music up Highway 12 three miles at the Travelers Rest. As mosts of you know, there are a LOT of various options for on and off-pavement rides, short and long, out of Lolo. We'd list out a variety of those options at breakfast for riders to take if they don't know the area (and act as a resource for those wanting to email in advance for route descriptions).

So, as I know more in the next two weeks I'll post more - hopefully a set date.

At this point the official event would likely just be on Saturday (starting small to see how it goes), but of course there are tons of ride options for those who would want to come over a day early/stay a day later as well.

Stay tuned and thanks for your feedback!

M

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
This definitely has my interest. Hope to make it.

Don

·
Registered
145 Posts
Has anyone here ridden the old dirt road (what is it called? Lolo byway or something?) instead of the paved route? All or part of it?

I'd be interested in doing that this time.

TKC 80's needed? I'm going to have to replace my tires next year anyway...

Thanks in advance for the info, Guy

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've not ridden it on a motorcycle but I've driven a part of it in my pickup. As far as dirt roads go, it's a good dirt road. When I drove it this fall it was hard packed dirt, not much for gravel. New shoes like you're describing would help, I'm sure.

If you don't get any responses from anyone on this site, try the advrider forum in the regional/Missoula section and they're great about offering up advice on the off-pavement areas around here.

I have Battlewings on my Vee and they'd do it okay but the more aggressive tread you're describing would certainly be better.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Checking-in from Spokane. I haven't ridden Lolo pass yet. It's on my must-ride list, so your weekend sounds like a perfect way to program it into next year's riding schedule. I would make a long weekend of it, camping Friday, returning Sunday morning. I'm pretty sure I can talk my brother and his Wee into it as well (MidlifeMadness).

I'd love to go on an all-Vstrom ride! Count me "in". :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts