StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 wee, 51,000 miles, started doing a couple funny things.
I replaced the front blinkers, due to a stupid parking job by me and a huge gust of wind :headbang:
They are not stock, but baja designs supposedly with the same 10 watt bulbs.
When I first installed them, they worked normally, but now they blink normally a couple times then blink at double speed [yes, they are blinking front and rear, just really fast]

The second thing is my gps , a garmin 2720, hardwired in a garmin mount with the garmin wiring for motorcycles, when I rev the bike to just about 7000 rpm, the gps re-sets itself, it shuts off and restarts.

are these related? is this an indicator of a charging system or battery problem?

·
Registered
15,721 Posts
just finished reading a post by hogsniper that cover a similar problem. Weak, crappy connections.
THe GPS thing could be your connection to it. My cigarette plug socket requires I use a small bungee to hold the plug in place or I get intermittent and the GPS drops out/resets too. Junky but workable device.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I think I fixed the gps, I put some dielectric grease on the connector and it seems fine
I'm thinking maybe there is just the right vibration at that rpm to mess up the connection , we will see.

I played with the signal, checked the bulb, 10 w , same as stock
With the key on but bike not running it blinks normally but with motor running it blinks a couple times then goes fast ( about 2x speed)

I. Will put a meter on the battery and see what that tells me

Anyone had similar issue?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the gps is still cutting out, it was fine at first when I rev'd the bike in nuetral, and at first when i rode it at higher rev's, but then it cut out again.

Could my battery be failing and causing a bigger draw on the charging system?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a spare stock bulb and tried that, bingo.
the bulbs that came with the new signals were different enough to cause an issue.
The signals now work normally, blink at normal speed all the time.
not sure if my gps issue is related, we will see.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, it seems to be fixed but I am still baffled.
I checked the wires to the blinkers [didnt matter which was + or -, worked same either way]
so I tried a different bulb and BINGO! blinkers started working normally.
So I turned on the gps, rev'ed away and it is fine.
Didn't do a road test, but before it was cutting off just from reving it in neutral.
I think its fixed, but I am still baffled as to how they are related!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts