StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I shouldn't complain about a bike I spent under $2k for but seems I have been finding alot of different problems with this bike. I hauled this bike home from California today and when I got back I looked in the back of the truck and had what I believe to be fork oil all over the back of the truck and down the side of my Left fork only. I know I had the forks compressed somewhat but not alot cause you really don't need to but my question is do you think I have a bad seal or is this typical? If the seals are bad and need to be replaced is this a do it yourself job or a take it to a suspension shop job? I am attaching a photo because I am a firm believer in a picture is worth a thousand words. Any thoughts and info would be appreciated. Sorry for the long rand and continuous questions.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Sometimes a bit of grit or dirt can get between the leg and the seal.

I had a leak in one leg of my old KLR, at the suggestion of someone on another forum I ran a thin feeler gauge around down inside the seal against the leg.

As I went around it I was lifting it up a bit and wiping off any grit that came up.

Mine seems to have stopped leaking now [or maybe it has run out of oil in the leg :fineprint: but there was not a lot of oil on it and it does spread even when only a small leak].

If you don't have a feeler gauge set then something else flat, thin and flexible will do the same job [35mm film strip was suggested to me, as was cutting a strip off an old xray if you have any from your trips to the doctor :biggrinjester: ].

Just work it gently down between the fork leg and seal but don't using anything sharp like a knife.

Nothing to lose by trying it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Motion Pro makes something similar to what the previous poster was describing.
Motion Pro - Seal Mate

I've heard mixed reviews, but consider doing the whole fork service (new oil/dust seals, bushings, and of course, fluids). Did that for my GS500 a while back when I first noticed a leak similar to your picture, and riding after the fork servicing was night and day :beatnik:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts