StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many of you know I bought an 04 Vee with 48k miles on it for $1500 knowing that it had been crashed before on the dirt at about 30mph. Owner told me that there was really no damage. I basically bought the bike site unseen because of the price knowing there could be additional damage. As I was installing the SW Moto quick release racks that hold the Hepco and Becker luggage that came with the bike purchase I noticed after standing behind the bike one of the Exhaust pipes looked higher than the other. Pic below. I am assuming that in the crash he may have bent the subframe. Does this appear to be bent to you? I see lots of subframes on Ebay for under $100 and was thinking maybe I could pick one up if so. Check out the pic.

Lastly I don't really trust this guy's weld he did when repairing this broken footpeg bracket. He did a crappy job and when you look down at the bike from above the left footpeg is pointing forward instead of perpendicular to the bike frame. Anyone know what this piece is called that the footpeg attaches to? I need to find one of these. Hopefully used from a bike that only had right side damage. Here is the photo of the part I am looking for.

Also the Shift lever needs to be replaced. Is there an aftermarket lever that will work or do I need to buy an OEM lever?

I still have not ridden the bike yet except for down the street. I am planning on riding over to Ventura and down the PCH to Santa Monica on Monday from Lancaster when I get off duty at the Fire Station. Anyone wanna join me? I should be able to tell after that ride if it's a keeper or going to go up for sale. I am hoping it's a keeper...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Touratech sells a folding clutch shifted for less than OEM would cost to you. I would go with Touratech. And yes, something is crooked looking at your bike's behind.

Folding Shift Lever, Suzuki V-Strom DL1000 - Touratech-USA

Also, this lever does not utilise all those linkages but attached directly to shifter shaft.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
You should do some measurements using something other than the exhaust cans as reference.

If you remove the footpeg bracket and look at the backside, it will probably have uglier welding than what you see on the outside but it may be stronger than the original unbroken. Mine broke in a no-other-damage laydown due to a badly-planted sidestand; I had it TIG welded and it has held up fine. Of course, if the cosmetics are the problem then that's your choice.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really care about cosmetics I just want the bike to be safe. I used the Google search up top and found a few threads where people had the brackets rewelded and when they stood on the pegs it broke. That could be ugly going down the road. I just for piece of mind want to know that it's safe. I weigh 240 and don't wanna be standing on the pegs and have a failure. That would not be good. I will check with some cycle parts places and see what they have.

·
Administrator
18,468 Posts
I seriously doubt the subframe is tweaked, take off the luggage racks "they are bent" and take a good look at the left exhaust. Think of the wipeouts that MX bikes take and they rarely if ever get a bent frame. Things got smooshed in a bit when the bike went down, I see more of an optical illusion than anything else.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Does the bike want to track straight with no (or absolute minimum) steering input from you? Confirm the rear wheel alignment and see if it wants to pull to one side or the other.

Start taking stuff off and see just what is bent. If it is nothing that really matters, leave it bent and make up some war stories about how you did it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
+1 for PTRider's comments. If subframe is bent, I'd still ride it, do nothing to repair.

You bought a crashed bike. It doesn't make much sense to start throwing money at repairs unless the bike is dangerous to ride and it doesn't sound like that's the case. Take the "savings" from the deal and buy yourself a nice long adventure. If you're like me, you'll drop the bike while you're traveling negating the need to show off a perfectly aligned subframe anyway.:thumbup:

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
"experienced"

As long as the bike rides straight, probably no great urgency to repair. There's something to be said for a bike with some "experience" on it, chiefly that you'll feel a lot less shy about taking it on a trail that you might hesitate if the bike was pristine. My K2 Vee was pretty cherry, until I hit a deer, which, among other things, bent the rear subframe a bit. Now I'm a little happier taking it down gravel and dirt roads, as a little more cosmetic damage won't make any difference. I'd definitely replace the footpeg mount, though, as that's a rider safety item. Dunno how much a replacement costs, but the only way to judge the weld would be to have it x-rayed, and even that might not tell the whole story. I suppose you could grind off the weld and have it re-done by someone you trust, but welded aluminum sometimes doesn't attain the strength and durability of the unbroken piece.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hoping to go out and give it a good 2-300 mile ride tomorrow but it's calling for rain in SoCal. If the rain isn't to bad I will still go anyways but might shorten it up a bit. Hoping all is ok and I can just ride this thing. Looking into replacing the Shift lever though and maybe the Foot brake lever. Both are damaged and could use it especially the shifter. Thanks for all the replies.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
[...]I noticed after standing behind the bike one of the Exhaust pipes looked higher than the other. Pic below. [...]

[...]
I just don't see it. They look the same to me.

A bent subframe would not make the bike ride weird. I might be wrong, but I think it's just there to attach the seat (and some lights and luggage and stuff). I'd check that it's not about to break under me though; maybe take all the plastic off and look for cracks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I agree with others who have said that there is no "need" to replace the subframe as long as it isn't cracked. If it were me, I probably would straighten or replace it though just b/c the bend would bother me.

The foot peg needs to be replace!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ok, I 'm gonna say this: I have a subframe I know is undamaged I've listed for sale elsewhere but ................ don't asume yours is bent just because the end of the mufflers seem at different heights. Don't judge just by your eyes....first of all your bikes not absolutely vertical as it stands in the photo!

And listen, down at the inlet end of the mufflers, they slip-fit over the ends of the exhaust midpipe and are held there with a simple band clamp. This joint is not an absolute tight fit. A little missalignment there, (or a midpipe thats been pushed up some from a hit), can cause the end of your muffler to drop...... pivoting at the muffler mount bolt on your subframe. All with a perfectly fine subframe.

Don't worry about it. Or ...... kick it back into a visualy appealing position.

The aluminum footpeg mount bracket ..... replace it. Welding the two pieces to make it one again does not make it as new. The heat treatment to enhance strength it got during manufacture has been destroyed at weld joint. Standing on it while riding could turn an ugly scene.
dave

·
Registered
100 Posts
A little better way (but still not perfect way) to measure looking for the tail twisted is to put a vertical level on the rear disk. Once you get the bike level there, place another one across the back of the subframe and see if they match.

While you're checking things, check out the fork stop on each side as they often get hammered in a crash. Get a bright light and check all the way around the frame just behind the steering head. Check all of the welds on the subframe too and around the points on the frame where the subframe connects.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts