Strom Trooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So I'm planning a trip with a buddy from Portland -> Yellowstone. We're gonna take about 3 days to get there and 3 days to get back. With 3 days around Yellowstone for activities and exploring.

The route to Yellowstone:
Portland to Lewiston, ID via I-84 and US-12 (stay night)
Lewiston to Missoula via US-12 (stay night)
Missoula to West Yellowstone via I-90 and US-287

(3 days in Yellowstone area)

The route home: (3 days 2 nights)
I would like to head back through southern Idaho and through southeast oregon. Anyone have any good routes this way thats not total slab? Probably gonna do about 300 miles a day the way back.

-Josh

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
75/21 through Stanley Id. The sawtooths are great. We just rode out through there to Yellowstone a couple of weeks ago. Be sure to ride Beartooth and Chief Joseph while out there.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you return on 26, you have 2 additional options.
1. catch 395 south out of John day for a short hop to 63 / 67 / 380 Paulina-Izee hwy. The solitude is spectacular, 1/10 of the traffic on 26. This ride will add 15 miles to Prineville. The peace of mind is priceless. On paper it looks like 3 rds but they all turn into each other.
2. Catch 19 off of 26 and follow the John Day river to fossil. Continue heading west on 218 to Shaniko. Then find your way home from there. This might be the shortest route to Portland.

Top off the tank in John Day!

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you return on 26, you have 2 additional options.
1. catch 395 south out of John day for a short hop to 63 / 67 / 380 Paulina-Izee hwy. The solitude is spectacular, 1/10 of the traffic on 26. This ride will add 15 miles to Prineville. The peace of mind is priceless. On paper it looks like 3 rds but they all turn into each other.
2. Catch 19 off of 26 and follow the John Day river to fossil. Continue heading west on 218 to Shaniko. Then find your way home from there. This might be the shortest route to Portland.

Top off the tank in John Day!

+1 on the Izee-Suplee-Paulina bypass to Prineville. Stop at Post for a photo op - the geographic center of the state of Oregon. That's a beautiful stretch of road.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Look at US-212, Yellowstone N.E. Entrance (Silver Gate) to Red Lodge. Great ride if you can squeeze it in.

Mammoth Hot Springs, near Gardiner, MT., is one of my favorite spots in the part. Then a ride to Red Lodge and back makes a great day.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
On the getting there days: I'm not yet sure what kind of a ride 12 is (though I'll find out in a couple weeks when a trip takes me through there), but an alternate suggestion if you can handle an additional 60 miles and about 2 hours getting to Lewiston is to take 84 to Pendleton, then over to Enterprise, then north to Lewiston. Takes you through the Rattlesnake as you cross the OR/WA border. One of those gotta do rides.

+1 for PTRider's suggestion to do 212. The Beartooth Hwy is a standard best road in America. Just be sure to check the weather. And 296 off of it offers some spectacular scenery but make 212 the priority.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ended up taking this route. Not the exact route I wanted ideally but my buddy was on a Kawasaki Concours and he seemed to like eating freeway miles unfortunately. Enabled us to spend more time in the parks though.

https://goo.gl/maps/EqBJl

Through the Gorge on 84 was great. The 12 was awesome. Montana drivers are scary. Bison are huge. Cliffs are high. 55 mph school zone in Montana. Super Volcano. Heat wave is hot. Pretty much sums up the trip.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts