StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
StromTrooper.com Founder
11,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One great thing about having a website like this is that I get to meet great people with incredible ideas for our bikes. I often get requests to promote certain products on this site, but I often turn them down. I look for people that design innovative goods that are high quality and that are good to work with.

I was contacted by Sherm a few weeks ago about his new stand. I will admit that when I initially looked at it online, I was a bit skeptical. For some reason stability didn't come to mind. This is probably because I had my V-Strom fall over on me when I had the rear wheel off, and I was using a Suzuki brand "track stand". Sherm sent me his new stand to evaluate and I must say I was extremely giddy after I tried it out. I am not going to bore you with details about how it works, but I would suggest that you go here http://www.shermworks.com/dl650standf.html to get more information.

Here we go. It arrived in no time and was packaged nice and neat. Easy to follow directions were included.

I had a challenge threading the post from the stand into the chain side of the swingarm. I sprayed WD-40 into the threads to clean out any gunk that was in the hole. Now how in the world would I have gotten dirt and mud in that area? Hmmmmmm.

Okay, now that everything was threaded and ready to go, it was time to set the bike up on the stand. Yep, I was a bit nervous but I followed the directions and it went up so easy that I had to double check to make sure it was actually in place.

The stand gives you enough ground clearance to freely spin your rear wheel. It is perfect for lubing your chain. You may have noticed that I tested it out on gravel. I figured it would work just fine on a smooth surface, but since I spend a lot of time on crappy roads (or fun, perfect V-Strom roads) and dirt trails, and that is when something usually goes wrong, I wanted to make sure it was going to work in the worst of elements. The base has a large enough foot that it makes the bike stable on gravel.

For those that are looking for that "must need" accessory, the $40.00 Sherm charges for this product has to be one of the best values out there. I was considering getting a center stand, but after evaluating this product I think I will apply the money I saved somewhere else.

Brendan

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sherm Stands

Kind of a bummer that I just spent 180 bucks on front and rear stands from Checkered Flag on Ebay. Nice stands, but horrible customer service. I like the price of Sherm's better!

F

·
0 Posts
Portable stand

Sherm here. I want to add that the stand can be used on just about any Suzuki that has spool holes on the swing arm. Its not limited to the DL, and was originally used on a Hayabusa.

Sherm

S

·
0 Posts
I just placed my order... currently my bike is precariously :roll: balanced on a jack waiting for a new rear tire. This looks like a cool idea and much better approach :)

S

·
0 Posts
Got my stand a couple of days ago - it's well constructed and well thought out. It's really easy to use - I'm glad I found out about this and went this route rather than a center stand.

I think it's a great product! :D

G

·
0 Posts
Ordered mine Thursday, got e-mail that it had been shipped Friday AM. So customer service looks good. Will post my impressions when I get it.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Got my stand this week. Got to try it today, found one of the through holes to be undersize and had to drill it out. Overall worked as advertised and very easy to use. One note on later model 1000s the handguard will need to be loosened to attach the brake lock.

G

·
0 Posts
Sherm here.
The problem Glen mentioned about having to loosen the hand guard to use the brake lock will be fixed by providing a velcro strap instead of an elastic loop for holding the front brake lever. I hadn't considered the hand guard situation.

The undersized hole problem is being investigated to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Regards
Sherm

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just received a velcro strap from Sherm. Works great, definitely makes using the stand easier. If anyone is concerned about weight or ground clearance, of a centerstand, this stand is the ticket.

R

·
0 Posts
re:suspending a bike to perform tire change

USE A MILK CRATE AND COMMON SENSE,

ROCK

·
Registered
192 Posts
No I didn't want the extra weight and reduced ground clearance, especially coming from sport bikes. Also a whole lot cheaper, and cab used on several Suzuki models.
Just used it this weekend, and it as easy to use as anny pit stand, even the single side style as used on my VFR.

·
Registered
57 Posts
thanks Sherm wish I would have seen this post before i had them install the 30.00 spools on my new bike before i picked it up for the first time hate the thought of wasting 30.00.... yeah im cheap, and Im not installing a centerstand like the look and clearance better with out it

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not that I'm going for a hard sell, but you still have to pay about $130 for a reputable padock stand. This makes your toatal investment $160.

If you buy The Open Road stand for $40 and E-bay your spools for $15, you'll be $105 ahead. Even if you donate your spools to charity or use them for paperweights, you'll still be $90 ahead.

But hey, no hard sell from me .

:roll:

Sherm

1 - 20 of 52 Posts