StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone going to Port Dover, Ontario this June on Friday 13th ?

http://www.pd13.com/

It will be a first PD13 for me. Hopefully I'll see enough Vstroms to feel right at home.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You will see mostly cruisers, and people in tight leather that shouldn't be wearing tight leather. There is no need to actually walk up the main drag either, you just get carried along by the throng of people. T shirts $20.00 everywhere, so buy one you like when you see it because the price won't change elsewhere. Losts of leather vendors from South Asia selling shitey leather products. Fresh pickerel for lunch is a nice treat. Go early or you won't get near the town to park, and then it's a long walk.

·
Registered
279 Posts
i'l be there. riding up with friends in "too tight leather pants" on harleys.
my first one, too.

·
Premium Member
221 Posts
I plan to go with my wife 2 up, we should be there about noon. This is my 4th. Yes it is mostly the Cruiser Croud, but there are lost so sport bikes and tourers. It is a great spectical with a wide variety of bikes and characters. I like to go and look at the variations of both. With good weather it is ammazing to see 10s of thousand of bikers take over a small town and have a "civalized" good time. Last year in July the croud was estimated at 120K.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Also hoping to go down if I can get away with begging off work again. I have family in the area so its a good excuse to visit.
Always a giddy site seeing sooo many bikes converge, much like lemmings, (without the cliff to jump off), on what is normally a pretty sleepy little town.
With only one Friday 13th this year, it will probably be overwhelming if the weather holds up.
Hope to see a few Stroms.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'll be heading down with a small group from north of Toronto.
I havn't been for a few years.
Last time I went we mostly ran the highway. The group I am going with are looking for a route that takes secondary roads.
Some how I always get the job of making the route.:rolleyes:
We normally park up on the hill before you get into town and walk in.
Its always entertaining with the mix of different bikes and people.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've never been to a Friday the 13th in Dover before. If I was to go, does anyone have advice for someone going for the first time. Where to park, eat, must see things and how early should one get there? I'll be heading down from the London area if anyone want to ride along.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
I've never been to a Friday the 13th in Dover before. If I was to go, does anyone have advice for someone going for the first time. Where to park, eat, must see things and how early should one get there? I'll be heading down from the London area if anyone want to ride along.
Parking? Wherever you can politely fit into a slot. If you want to get within a kilometer or two of Main Street, you'll want to be there by 9:00 or so. Even then, arrive with enough fuel in your tank to get through the crawling traffic-jamb into town. Judging by the likelihood of good weather and the fact that this is the only PD13 this year, it will be packed.

Take a stroll through Powell Park near town centre where it will be full of vendors hawking all kinds of motorcycle related ...stuff. Worth a look but mostly for entertainment value.

Eating: there will be a smattering of beer tents and sites for hotdogs, hamburgers, fries, fish and the like... But unless you are prepared for long line-ups and blaring "biker-rock", avoid most of the places set up on Main Street. Last year I thought we got smart and made reservations ensuring a spot in The Cove Room at the Erie Beach Hotel. Got right in, but they were clearly still ovewhelmed and it took at least a couple of hours out of the day to get a couple of mediocre meals.
Check "The Arbor" for what were once renowned foot long hotdogs, fries and fresh squeezed "Orange Glow" orange juice. The dogs and buns have shrunk somewhat over the years and it is only "take-away". You can sit at "Knechtel's" for fish and also at the place that is right at the end of the road on the beach, the name of which escapes me right now. Check the Port Dover website for other restaurants. There are a fair number to choose from. It will be easy to just walk about and your selection will probably be made based on what you can get into. Odds are whever you go, it will be insanely busy. This time I'm packing a lunch and liquids with me. Pull up a seat on the pier or the beach and watch people while munching.

Sites: Almost everything in terms of Port Dover atmosphere and sights will be eclipsed by the bikes and crowd. So let that be the attraction. If you want to ever see Port Dover, go back on July 1st for their parade or something.
In the meantime, just walk, go with the flow and have a bit of fun watching the various characters and every manner of bike that shows up from different provinces and the U.S.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Thanks Rob. Great info and I apprieciate the time it took to post. That really puts it in perspective for me. Now I am definately going! It sounds like a blast.

·
Administrator
13,746 Posts
When I went last year I went in the "back" way (on the West side - old hwy 24 and Blueline road if my recollection and Google Maps is right) and was able to get into the downtown area without a lot of problems. I was parked around Grace St. & 1St. (To steal my brother's line: I was parked beside the Black Harley!) I was there I think around 9ish. By that time there were long lineups on hwy 6 with all the cruisers coming from Toronto.

..Tom

·
Registered
113 Posts
I was at PD13 today and just got back, I only saw about 3 Stroms there however I did see a few more going in when I was going out.

Boy was it a hot one!

·
Registered
279 Posts
yeah i saw a silver/gray one, a blue one and possibly a red one zipping by. a millions harleys and apparently they don't idle very well as they have to blip the throttle constantly, i guess to keep them from stalling. my bike only got called a sewing machine once.
lots' of fun. i'll make it a regular and i'd definitely look for an alternative to highway 6 next time. the back up at hagersville was 20 minutes just because of a traffic light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was there and saw maybe half a dozen stroms. Not including mine, i was parked up and off the main drag at my in-laws.
I had the pleasure of riding part way home with a guy on a silver wee with full bags and a yellowish jacket. To whoever that was, thanks. He got off the 403 at Brant st in the burlington area.

Rui, I'm in Sauga too - msg me and we can go for a ride sometime.

The number on the Guiness record that i heard was 12000 bikes. I have no idea if that broke a record or not. I have no idea how they counted the bikes. Sooo many were parked around town there is no way to get an accurate count with people coming and going all day and night.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts