StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I hope everyone I hope everyone is doing okay!

I have a 09 wee with 28 K on it and recently, it has been occasionally back firing through the intake and it also idles at around 1150 rpm a bit I would think.

I use Phillips 66 87 octane with 2 oz of Marvel all the time never had an issue, this only happens off idle with a quick throttle snap. Sometimes this is minor other times not. Is this common? My first instinct is to pull the plastic and check for anything loose on the intake side.

Thank You

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
Some folks are sold on the stuff. I've know guys that have used it for decades. It's a mystery to me too.
The popping might be from throttle bodies or the loose rubber boot?

·
Registered
562 Posts
I believe marvel mystery oil acts like a detergent much like ATF...in fact I've always thought it was ATF. It's often used in fuel systems and crankcases of both diesel and gas engines. I also put it in the air compressor air line on the discharge side when working on the oil rigs in the late 1970's. Can't say for sure how effective it is but I suppose the big wigs a Caterpillar endorsed the stuff because we would dumped a cup full into each one of those giant 16 cylinder Cat engine oil sumps twice a day.

I don't think it can hurt anything the way the OP is using it but if it were me I'd dial it back to the same amount every 4th or 5th tank of gas.

I wouldn't mix any with the motorcycle crankcase oil as it could have a negative impact on the wet clutch.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Fuel injection always has trouble with the quick blip of the throttle. My first 'Strom, Gen1 K7 Wee, used to do this popping and so does my current ride, a Gen2 L4 Wee, so I think it is normal up to a point. In any case, your idle is too low which may be aggravating the problem, it should be around 1300 RPM. I would do an ISC valve reset to see if you can get the idle up. If that doesn't help then you are probably due for a check of the throttle position sensor (TPS) and the idle-air throttle body sync and look at the boots and for any vacuum leaks, etc. BTW, dislodging the throttle body boots is more of a problem with the Vee than the Wee but it won't hurt to check.

Reactions: blaustrom and Gert

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You guys if it gets worse I'll definitely do a full diagnostic. I have the factory service manual and I used to be an automotive technician I just figured I would ask those who know first.

The reason for the Napthenic (Marvel Mystery Oil) is mainly for added lubricity E10 fuel is hell for fuel systems. Some old timers like myself spike their fuel with 2 stroke oil for their old carburated dinosaurs. (NOT) recommended for modern engines with O2 or Lamda sensors.

Regarding the idle I agree it might very well be time for a cable adjustment and lube + a throttle body re-synchronize.

Once again Thank You all and stay upright

Reactions: gdrew

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Fresh plugs, air filter and lubed the tb linkage no more issues.

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
"E10 fuel is hell for fuel systems."

What provokes that idea? I've ridden 100's of thousands of miles on motorcycles and had not fueling problems. Same with the cars. I don't even try to find ethanol free stations. Seems all the gas readily available in Calif has 10% ethanol.
I've never had a fuel pump failure so far in cars or bikes. I'm amazed at the rate it's reported on the different forums.

·
Registered
181 Posts
It's bad stuff if left sitting in carburetors. 2 stroke weedeaters, blowers etc. have all kinds of issues with E10.
100% gas also has better efficiency - more miles on a tank.

Some bike carburetors are more suscebtible to the issues than others. H-D seems to handle pretty well but small jetson some bikes clog in a short time requiring cleaning.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts