Strom Trooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a XS 307 tank bag. At first I thought I installed it incorrectly and it was pointing off to the right a little. I tried to realign the mounting plate, but couldn't get it straight.
Upon looking at the bag itself a little more, I noticed the upper part of the bag is sewn off center to the bottom of the bag. There is about a 1" offset from the 2 components. The front is to the right, the bottom is to the left.

This is my first piece of GIVI gear, so I don't know if this is the typical quality of their product or not. Judging by the large amount of times I have seen the name GIVI, I wouldn't think it is.

So now I'm waiting on a response from the place I bought it. Replace through them, or through GIVI......

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I bought a XS 307 tank bag. At first I thought I installed it incorrectly and it was pointing off to the right a little. I tried to realign the mounting plate, but couldn't get it straight.
Upon looking at the bag itself a little more, I noticed the upper part of the bag is sewn off center to the bottom of the bag. There is about a 1" offset from the 2 components. The front is to the right, the bottom is to the left.

This is my first piece of GIVI gear, so I don't know if this is the typical quality of their product or not. Judging by the large amount of times I have seen the name GIVI, I wouldn't think it is.

So now I'm waiting on a response from the place I bought it. Replace through them, or through GIVI......
A few years ago, I had the exact same problem with two SW Motech tank bags in a row. Twisted Throttle gave me a refund.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I had the zipper fail partway on a 3 week trip. While investigating the zipper (missed stiches) , I found the ring was held on by only 1 screw as the nuts had backed out. Replaced with nylocks. The tank bag was brand new.

Their designs are very good, just appear to be lacking a good QC prior to leaving the factory. I bought a larger one and it is flawsless. Btw, I've ridden through torrential rain storms without the rain cover and nothing inside got wet.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,728 Posts
My Givi bag does the same thing, I have learned to live with it now. Givi and quality typically goes hand in hand, so I have to give them a bit of slack.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree not really a big deal, but the vendor will replace it so I'll try one time to get one that sits straight.
If not, well I'll just tilt my head a little.....

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Those Italians love the wine and time of night or day. :)

I have a lot of Givi stuff including their 20L tank bag. Good quality but I like the SW-Motech bag design a little more where it doesn't ever touch the tank. Be sure to install paint/tank protectors.

·
Super Moderator
16,728 Posts
Those Italians love the wine and time of night or day. :)

I have a lot of Givi stuff including their 20L tank bag. Good quality but I like the SW-Motech bag design a little more where it doesn't ever touch the tank. Be sure to install paint/tank protectors.
My Givi tank lock bag doesn’t touch my tank anywhere. :confused:

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Yep. The Givi XS308 20L can at times. There is even a thread about it from a month or so ago somewhere. That is where someone stepped in and said their big SW-Motech has a firmer bottom attached to the ring and a few others agreed.

I put a tank ring on my Versys for it and that is better in that the tank back has a steeper angle.

My Givi tank lock bag doesn’t touch my tank anywhere. :confused:
Need a better side picture. I luv it though. I eat my lunch on top sometimes. You can see the gray tank guard sticking out under the rear part of it. You can remove that wrap-around piece but the bottom can still touch a bit. It only touches the black plastic.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Just cleaned the V-Strom. Here are some better photos of the big Givi tank bag. it only touches the tank guard at the rear.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm on my third St602, the zip failed on the first 2 in roughly the same place, the part that locks onto the tank ring on the 3rd one I have now was very tight when I got it so I had to replace it with the base from the first one so as to be able to attach/detach it like it's supposed to be. quality does seem lacking on these, I also have a larger Kappa RA308R which I use for longer trips, it seems to be far better quality, and then they tell us Givi is superior to Kappa, I don't think so.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
I keep a scooter in there when I arrive at my destination. Actually, it fills up really quickly on an all day trip.

In comparing these look at quality and price unless price is no object.

I buy my Givi stuff from Italy in bulk to spread the shipping. Fed Ex is about a week. They also carry Kappa and Ixon. My last big order was priced near $800 on Revzilla and about $450 from Italy after shipping. I figure 60% in bulk. The savings bought my Zumo.

https://www.motostorm.it/en/luggage/sub-tank.html?currency=USD

I think this is a miss print and he meant to say he eats his lunch while he's inside of it...lol. But I bought the 15l version and love it for everything other than commuting.

·
Vendor
4,553 Posts
The complexity of international sales are pretty interesting. SECoda's summation is pretty accurate based on what I have seen behind the veil.

There is a tariff on imports that sets up a wholesale price differential between the EU and US. Believe me, no US arm of any foreign company would be happy with what Motostorm and a few others are doing. They are ducking US taxes by selling in small quantities directly to another divisions territory at a cost advantage. This is partially offset by the difference in price for getting things across the Atlantic in SeaLand containers (cheap) vs individual cardboard boxes (expensive), and then affected again by shipping directly to the customer (additional expense). In some cases on specific items the US distributor has to lower profit margins to make up for the expense of complying with the tax laws.

The result is individuals can make large personal orders from the EU vendors where the higher cost method of shipping is offset by the quantity of the order.

The other part of the equation is customer and warranty service. Products bought from the EU vendors are not covered by the US warranty (not even a little bit) and making exchanges across the Atlantic are more costly than just selling an item at a loss on Ebay. And generally items can be obtained a little faster from US based dealers.

Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
13,133 Posts
Right - you need to keep the individual orders from Italy to the US under $1000 to avoid the export fee making it easier for the individual to get a lower cost. I have had many questions and did one return/replacement (Givi 308 20L tank bag was sewed wrong) to Motostorm.it and the customer service has been outstanding and they paid for the return shipping. Immediate email responses when they are open or the day. They said a good portion of their business is international and to the US.

The one-time shipping covers all items in a single order from Fed-Ex air is up to $35 so spreading across a few items makes the per item cost lower but our accessories are so expensive it doesn't take many to save a lot.

Also, they have many of the same sales as here like Black Friday, 4th of July, Christmas, etc.. I got my last Givi Airflow windshield on the V2 for $93 ($193.50 on Revzilla) on their Black Friday sale which went on for a few weeks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Do they work with handlebar risers/shifters?

Hi thanks for posting these pictures of your tankbag! My question is: do you think they will fit on a V-strom with handlebar risers/shifters. The handlebar comes in about 1,5 inch and for what I can see on your picture, the bag is already fairly close to your handlebar. I would like to be able to fully turn my wheel :)

Just cleaned the V-Strom. Here are some better photos of the big Givi tank bag. it only touches the tank guard at the rear.

·
Vendor
4,553 Posts
Givi no longer sells the huge XS308 bag discussed earlier here. They do still offer the 15 Liter XS307 bag that has been a favorite of V-Strom owners. We sell it at a discount and allow exchanges and refunds if you are not happy.

BTW, our experience with Givi USA's customer support has been fantastic. Simple no quibble replacement if anything isn't right. And we offer it all at a discount.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts