StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looking to get a SIMPLE gps for use in both my cage and on my bike.

I dont need ANY fancy functions i just need it to BE CHEAP. All id like is turn by turn directions (no voice commands or anything needed). Basically i want a Map program like google maps on my bike LOL. Battery operated is prefered.

I have always used conventional maps for my travels. But id like to rid myself of the bulky tank bag on my bike and simplify things a tad with the use of a gps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Check with your cellular carrier. Mine offers turn x turn directions as a program on your cell phone if you have their data plan. Only works with certain model of phones. Unfortunately it's not MY model!

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Check with your cellular carrier. Mine offers turn x turn directions as a program on your cell phone if you have their data plan. Only works with certain model of phones. Unfortunately it's not MY model!
Verizon offers this but (according to the lit) it will only work in their "extended service network" (or something close to that). The problem is if you don't have cell service, you won't have Nav. I tried it a few times on my Razr and found it to be less than usefull, more of a backup then primary.

Having said that (and to try to get back on topic) I would suggest looking into a refurbed unit from one of the online retailers (Edge GPS is the one I used). As with anything else, the more features and the newer it is, the more it will cost. I'd make a list of must have's (screen size, computer compatablity, etc) and a list of like-to-haves and start looking based on the must-have list.

One last bit of advice, if at all possible, put you hands on one and play with it. Do the menus make sense? Are the buttons usable with gloves (may or may-not be a must have)?

Be realistic in how you're going to use it, the features you "have" to have and you'll do fine.

When you get the list narrowed down, post back with what you're looking at and I'm sure you'll get all kinds of info.

Good luck!

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My cell phone is in dire needs of replacement anyways but id really rather not have an over complicated phone as in my experiance the more complicated phones seem to suffer in batt life and durability.

One of the GPS units i was looking at was the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. Cheap enuff for my mechanics budget and looks pretty simple. But i cant figure out if it works the way id like. Just show me the damn road i am on and were to turn. It also looks small and easily mountable and runs on two AA batteries.

But i am not shure if its got maps on it at all or if you need to buy additional programs to install maps. I also don't know how one would set up their root on sutch a machine or if you need a computer to do so before hand witch i would personally find annoying.

Thax for the help guys. I never even used any GPS yet so im unshure what a lot of the options are LOL.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Look into a Garmin Quest R (refurb), sometimes you can pick one up for a little over 100 bucks. They have a 20 hour battery as well as voice if you want it.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
I use TomTom for my TREO. It came with a windshield suction holder for the car. It does give voice turn by turn but not street names. I like it but the screen is a little small. It will work with both the Palm OS and MS so if you have a device like a T3 it would give you a bigger screen. I'm looking for software that I can use for geocaching or just simple plotting, but haven't had much luck

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I have a Mio C310X and love it. Its got a nice 3.5" touch screen that works with gloves and mounted it on my left handle bar. It works great! Its got MP3 player on it and OK maps. I really love the POI system and its great for finding food and gas on the road. You can get it for under 200$ and its a good GPS. Cant ask for much more.

Gib

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you can afford a Vista HCx then take a look at a refurbished Streetpilot 2610 from http://www.getfeetwet.com/garmin_streetpilot.aspx. You'll also be wanting the Garmin montorcycle mounting kit for it and either a RAM or SW-motech mount.

The Etrex Vista HCx comes with the "recreational" basemap, the Streetpilot series come with "City Navigator", which is what you want for turn-by-turn navigation on roads--for the Vista that will cost you another 130 bucks or so.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I might add a second to the 2610. For less than $300 you can have the whole thing at your door, ready to go on your motorcycle. While $300 isn't cheap, you get a lot of GPS for that money.

I've been using various GPS units for a number of years, and I'm impressed with the 2610. This is an older, discontinued model, but I think as a new GPS user, you won't even notice.

The Quest mentioned above is a good choice, too. It's quite a bit smaller than the 2610 (Good or bad, depending on your perspective) and has an internal battery, so it can be used off the bike.

If you decide on something, let us know so we can direct you to all the parts necessary to get it set up and on your bike. Unfortunately, there's no 1-box GPS with everything included to set it up and get it on your bike ready to go.

Jamie

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
If you plan on using your GPS for point to point nav than I suggest making sure that you're not required to know the city that the address you're looking for is in. I say this because the Magellen I originally purchased couldn't find 3 different locations because I didn't know the city/town or the unit itself had the address attached to a different town. Examples: A) When trying to find Howboucha's place the Magellen didn't show his address as being correct for his town (Clay City). The only way to locate his place was by following the turn-by-turn's he posted. B) I tried to find a local golf course that wasn't included in the pre-loaded POI file. The same problem occurred, the city was Johnstown, Oh but the Magellen could only find it after I picked the largest street number available then pan the map to see the course (big green blob), select it, get info, then found out the Magellen had it as a Granville, Oh addess. Both of these I was able to work around only because I either knew where it was already or had turn-by-turn instructions. Either way kind of makes the GPS not very useful. The third was an intersection out in the country of a great riding road. I didn't know what town so I was stuck having to pan around the map until I found it manually.

AFAIK, the Garmin is the only GPS that will search the whole state (you at least need to narrow it down that far) and doesn't require a city to start a search.

One last thing, the Garmin 2610 doesn't have the memory for detailed maps for NA and Canada which requires you to load the regions you will be using. Also, it's my understanding that the 2610 is no longer upgradable. Both of these points I'm not 100% sure of so if anyone can clarify please do so.

BTW I'm using a 2720 which I picked up for under $300 (EdgeGPS.com) and have been very pleased with the performance both on the bike and in the cage.

·
Registered
539 Posts
One last thing, the Garmin 2610 doesn't have the memory for detailed maps for NA and Canada which requires you to load the regions you will be using. Also, it's my understanding that the 2610 is no longer upgradable. Both of these points I'm not 100% sure of so if anyone can clarify please do so.
A 2610 with a 2GB CF card holds the entire City Nav 2008 map details for North America & Canada.
You may be thinking of the Quest that has only 115mb of memory and is not expandable.

As far as map updates, the 2610 uses the same map program (the non-NT version) as many current Garmin handhelds, so I think you will get updates for it for quite some time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
you might look at the garmin etrex line:
Garmin eTrex Legend CX ($200)
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Legend-Handheld-Navigator/dp/B000CSSHG4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-0214890-7765257?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1193086456&sr=8-1
It has expandable memory, auto routing, waterproof, etc.
you will need maps which are around $100, and a SD memory card (about $10-20 for 1GB), and probably need to figure out a mount for your car & bike. also works good for hiking, etc.
I have a garmin GPSMAP60C and have been happy with it, my older brother has this unit and has also been happy with its functionality.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanx for all the suggestions but now i need some help narrowing options.

So priority list

-EASY TO USE i tend not to get along with fancy gadgets :mad:

-Cheap as in under $400 With what ever i need for my use (AKA mount,gps, and map program if needed).

-Preloaded with decent North American maps if possible

-Point to point directions (I don't want anything in my helmet so no audio crap)

-Fairly small Size.

-Preferably not touch screen (my works got a touch screen laptop and it PISSES ME OFF "fat fingers").

-Preferably battery powered as i don't have or want a 12v acc plug on my bike.

The Quest looked pretty good but i also found a Quest 2 as well within budget whats the difference?

I still considering the eTrex models as i like how compact it is and the fact that it uses AA batteries. If i go that route what kinda software would one reccomend (Canadian, US maps all i need, more so Canadian).

·
Premium Member
1,135 Posts
If I were going your route I would probably get 2 gps. One easy one for the car, and another for the bike. The bike takes al ot more abuse (vibration, water, sunlight, heat)

Here you go, everything you want in a nice, easy to use cheap package for the car.

Refurbed C530 from garmin with everything you need to get going for $205.
http://www.edgegps.com/eCart/viewItem.html?idProduct=344

Its preloaded with everything so its simple. Its touch screen based, so you just type in the address to where you want to go and hit route. Then it will take you where you want to go. The only hard part is getting the address input right. However I always cross check my address with mapquest before I leave and have never had a problem getting any of the C series to recognize the address.

For the bike I would probably go with something like the 2610. I'm sure here will have a good simple bike solution.

Or you could just go all out and get a garmin 450, or a 550 although I think those provide more than you want :)

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
A 2610 with a 2GB CF card holds the entire City Nav 2008 map details for North America & Canada.
You may be thinking of the Quest that has only 115mb of memory and is not expandable.

As far as map updates, the 2610 uses the same map program (the non-NT version) as many current Garmin handhelds, so I think you will get updates for it for quite some time.
Thanks, I'd heard some units weren't being supported any longer but wasn't sure if the 2610 was one of those. As far as the memory comment, I thought the person relating this was talking about the 2610. Thanks for the correction!

·
Administrator
13,207 Posts
I don't know what unit to recommend to you (I happily use a Garmin 60Cx with a 2 gig card and City Navigator North America V8) but here are some things to consider:

-There is a strong likelyhood that if you get an extremely basic unit you will want to upgrade after a while when you discover the limitations of the cheaper unit.

-the basemap in the cheaper units are very basic. You won't likely be able to find your friend's home in the suburbs.

-detailed maps cost around $150

-On a bike you will want some waterproofing. Some of the cheaper Car navigation units offered in Canada don't seem to have much waterproofing, although I suspect that apart from that they are incredible bargains if they hold up.

-If you run strictly on Batteries then use of the backlight will drain the batteries very quickly. Consider this if you will ride at night and wish to use the naviagtion

-if you power a GPS externally through a cigarette lighter, you can leave the light on

-adding a Cigarette lighter is cheap and easy to do to a Strom. This also adds the ability to use other accessories like a Tire Inflator.

-Ram mounts provide incredible functionality and versatility.

..Tom
Thanx for all the suggestions but now i need some help narrowing options.

So priority list

-EASY TO USE i tend not to get along with fancy gadgets :mad:

-Cheap as in under $400 With what ever i need for my use (AKA mount,gps, and map program if needed).

-Preloaded with decent North American maps if possible

-Point to point directions (I don't want anything in my helmet so no audio crap)

-Fairly small Size.

-Preferably not touch screen (my works got a touch screen laptop and it PISSES ME OFF "fat fingers").

-Preferably battery powered as i don't have or want a 12v acc plug on my bike.

The Quest looked pretty good but i also found a Quest 2 as well within budget whats the difference?

I still considering the eTrex models as i like how compact it is and the fact that it uses AA batteries. If i go that route what kinda software would one reccomend (Canadian, US maps all i need, more so Canadian).

·
Registered
269 Posts
I own a Quest 2, and given the choice again, I'd have to recommend the regular Quest, and not the Quest 2. Although the Quest 2 comes preloaded with all of North America, all that data slows down the unit considerably. Many people don't seem to mind the long calculation times, and the screen lag... but it drives me batty. From what I understand the regular Quest does not suffer from this. There are also some other minor software differences. I don't believe the regular Quest is Garmin POILoader compatible, whereas the Quest 2 is. Most GPS users don't bother with the POILoader, so that's probably not an issue.

It's a great unit, otherwise.

The internal battery is pretty good, and should last an entire days ride. However, you can't charge it unless it's in the cradle, meaning you're going to have to have power from somewhere. I'd recommend hard-wiring any GPS to the bike.

Jamie

·
Registered
123 Posts
One of the GPS units i was looking at was the Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. Cheap enuff for my mechanics budget and looks pretty simple. But i cant figure out if it works the way id like. Just show me the damn road i am on and were to turn. It also looks small and easily mountable and runs on two AA batteries.

But i am not shure if its got maps on it at all or if you need to buy additional programs to install maps. I also don't know how one would set up their root on sutch a machine or if you need a computer to do so before hand witch i would personally find annoying.
I recently bought the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx. It's a little cheaper than the Vista and is only missing the stationary compass and altimeter. Didn't need that stuff. I think I paid about $220 for the GPS and I got the software on sale for just over $100. Also got a 2GB microSD card to hold the maps, which puts the total cost around $350. It's more than some of the refurbed street pilots, but I just like this one better. It's much more versatile than the car or motorcycle specific models. It runs off AA batteries (all day and then some), which I like. Don't need to worry about running power or charging a battery. It works well for riding or hiking, whatever. It does do turn by turn directions. You do have to buy the maps for it to be useful. By default it only has major highways/roads.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I recently bought the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx. It's a little cheaper than the Vista and is only missing the stationary compass and altimeter. Didn't need that stuff. I think I paid about $220 for the GPS and I got the software on sale for just over $100. Also got a 2GB microSD card to hold the maps, which puts the total cost around $350. It's more than some of the refurbed street pilots, but I just like this one better. It's much more versatile than the car or motorcycle specific models. It runs off AA batteries (all day and then some), which I like. Don't need to worry about running power or charging a battery. It works well for riding or hiking, whatever. It does do turn by turn directions. You do have to buy the maps for it to be useful. By default it only has major highways/roads.
Really depends on what you're doing I guess. I've got an eTrex Vista and it's a nice unit that I've used in the car for day-trips, but I wouldn't even think about trying to use it for motorcycle navigation--I have enough trouble seeing the screen on the 2720, and without voice prompts either requires me to take my eyes off the road. The 2720 with voice prompts is pretty much head-up. Also on a 3 week trip the battery life on the Vista becomes a serious problem--one has to buy a bunch of batteries, carry rechargables and stop in places with power, or arrange a charger on the bike and if you're going to do that then you may as well just run a power cable for a unit purpose-designed for vehicular navigation and not have to worry about it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts