StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Got the bike about a month and half ago, private owner. 2012 white dl650, with 5,500 miles on it.
She drives great! not a single problem. I have just reached the 6,000 mile mark today.

But I have noticed on the three gas fill up I have done so far, than the MPG for each period have been 36-37MPG!!!! :surprise::frown2::frown2::frown2:

I dont know what I could try. I have researched this issue and couldn't find a solution or an answer.

This is how I drive, I have everyday a commute to work of about 15 miles, which about 9 are highway, and 6 city. Nothing crazy. Highway I do 80+ mph, I am not crazy on the throttle, but neither easy, just normal, no redlining AT ALL. Another thing, the temps in the morning commute are about 30-36 F, in the later commute 40-60F.
I have a round typ. top box

------Do you guys have any idea how to bring the MPG to a normal 40s? Has anybody found out a solution? Its a bike with 6,000 miles! And again, she drives great! I just wished I had normal MPG. I heard that the cold temperature can affect the MPG.

Could it be the air filter???? Changing exhaust to make it leaner could help???

:frown2:
Thank you guys!!

Attachments

·
Administrator
16,825 Posts
At those speeds in colder temps, I don't think it's unusual to see the mileage you are getting. Colder temps means running richer, and anything above 70 MPH on these bikes will indeed lower your mileage "but agree your average is lower than usual". Would be worth checking the air filter for sure, are you riding with a larger windscreen and all the bags on? Where is your location, might consider updating your profile? :smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
How much warm-up time when the temp is way down? Fast idles burn fuel....fast.
Three tanks are not enough to formulate a real average.
I use Fuelly.com, enter every refuel, and have a 10 tank running average MPG I know is accurate.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cold temps,
winter gas blend,
longer warm ups,
more of you - meaning larger jacket, gloves, ect,
That is to far of a mpg fall for all the changes.
The reduced mpgs are trying to tell you that is to cold to ride!

·
Administrator
13,393 Posts
I recorded every drop of fuel that went into each of my Stroms. Do you base your mileage on the distanced traveled vs the amount of fuel you are putting in?

FWIW my 2012 DL650 averaged 49.4 MPG US over 86,714 miles. In warm weather it got better mileage, in cold it got worse mileage. My graphs shows 10 to 15 mpg difference between warm weather and cold weather. At speeds down in the 60 mph or slower range it got very good mileage. Up in the 75 to 85 mph range mileage plummeted.

10 mpg drop in mileage was not uncommon riding at freezing temperatures and same with riding at 75 to 85 mpg.

I don't think your mileage drop is ridiculous.

Things that might help improve mileage are the basics:

-Tire pressure. Keep rear at about 42 psi cold, and front perhaps 38 or so.

-I couldn't confirm mileage drops with sidecases but those should hurt mileage at high speeds. Top case probably makes no real difference as it is pretty much blocked from wind by your the rider anyway.

-Check brakes dragging, etc.

-do you start the bike and sit in your driveway idling to "warm" it up? That just wastes gas. Start it and ride away, although for the first while ride easily. It is the best way to warm it up and saves gas.

-Are you riding in 6th when you don't need to be revving? I have seen a fair number of people that don't want to run in top gear or redline their bike when accelerating but will run along at 50 mph in 3rd or 4th when 6th is just fine.

Sure check air filter, etc as well but I suspect there won't be big changes until you ride slower and the temperature is warmer.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
air cleaner, tire pressure, riding conditions are three things that will affect mileage. 80+ mph could be the culprit. Stop and go city doesn't help mileage.

remember it takes 4 times the energy to achieve twice the velocity.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Best fuel economy occurs around 50mph. Faster than that, MPG plummets. My worst ever fuel economy was a displayed 38.7mpg heading up the highway at 77 indicated with panniers. My 2015 XT averages 54.53mpg. I keep an Excel sheet with all fuel ups as it does the math for me.

Don't let it idle while you get all your gear on, make breakfast, etc. Start it and go, it'll warm up faster on the move. The temp on mine is at three bars within a mile of leaving home; I start the bike in the driveway, look both ways, and pull out immediately.

Lots of short trips will murder your economy, same with stop-and-go ad nauseam.

Here's a very simple check to perform: with a mostly full tank, clear the trip meter and go for a spin on country roads for about an hour or so. Before you get back into town, switch to the MPG display. You should be well into the 50s.

Low to mid 40s means you need a can of Liqui Moly Jectron from NAPA. Jectron is the only injector cleaner I've used that actually works. Half a can to a full tank of gas. Ride as usual for a few tanks, then repeat to use the other half can. Now, repeat the country ride with a zeroed trip meter and compare that result to the first.

·
Administrator
13,393 Posts
Best fuel economy occurs around 50mph. Faster than that, MPG plummets. My worst ever fuel economy was a displayed 38.7mpg heading up the highway at 77 indicated with panniers. My 2015 XT averages 54.53mpg. I keep an Excel sheet with all fuel ups as it does the math for me.

Don't let it idle while you get all your gear on, make breakfast, etc. Start it and go, it'll warm up faster on the move. The temp on mine is at three bars within a mile of leaving home; I start the bike in the driveway, look both ways, and pull out immediately.

Here's a very simple check to perform: with a mostly full tank, clear the trip meter and go for a spin on country roads for about an hour or so. Before you get back into town, switch to the MPG display. You should be well into the 50s.

Low to mid 40s means you need a can of Liqui Moly Jectron from NAPA. Jectron is the only injector cleaner I've used that actually works. Half a can to a full tank of gas. Ride as usual for a few tanks, then repeat to use the other half can. Now, repeat the country ride with a zeroed trip meter and compare that result to the first.
I agree with most of what you're saying and want to say that if you generally use "Top Tier' gas you should never need to use injector cleaner.

..Tom

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,274 Posts
If you are actually running 80+, or close to 80 allowing for speedometer error, in those temps that is the mileage I would not be surprised at!

Force yourself to run 70 indicated for a tank and see what that does for mileage. If it goes way up, you know what to expect going forward.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts

Yep, I bet Liqui Moly Jectron cleaner works as good as $8.00 per gallon Crown Camp fuel. Also known as white gas also know as Naphtha. Considering the MSDS of Liqui Moly Jectron cleaner states it is 98.5% to 99.5% Naphtha.

greater than 60 % naphtha petroleum, heavy, hydrodesulfurized

0.5-1.5 % isoparaffins petroleum hydrotreated HFP

0.5-1.5 % solvent naphtha petroleum, heavy aromatic

1-1 % naphthalene

·
Registered
301 Posts
I agree with most of what you're saying and want to say that if you generally use "Top Tier' gas you should never need to use injector cleaner.

..Tom
No, injector cleaner isn't a casual use fluid. I used injector cleaner because my bike sat at the stealership for nearly a year before I bought it. Fuel economy broke 45mpg once in the first six tanks. I tried Mobil 1 and STP fuel system cleaners. Both highly rated, neither worked. Gave it a rest for a couple months, then found Jectron at NAPA while looking for brake fluid. After treatment, my sheet shows a jump from 40-45mpg to 52-54mpg per tank. Good stuff.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I've never had a vehicle where the gas mileage didn't drop (sometimes a lot) as my speed increased.

I find- car or motorcycle- my best mpg is up to about 60- 65 mph. Higher speeds and it drops, and by the time I'm doing 80 mph it's getting pretty low. Add in a headwind and you can watch the fuel level drop very fast. Cold, low elevation and other factors my enter in to rob you of few mpg each as well, so now you're down out of the 40's and into the 30's mpg.

Your results sound normal to me for a guy doing 80 mph.

.................shu

·
Registered
520 Posts
You should confirm if you have factory sized sprockets. PO may have set the vehicle up for more trail style of riding?

You might consider replacing sprocket/s if highway traveling is your main purpose for the bike and fuel economy matters.

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
I agree with riding at an indicated 70mph and see.

One other question that you didn't mention......you don't weight in the 100's of lbs do you? I'm completely serious, if your 375 on that little bike doing 80mph it's pretty easy to figure out poor mileage.

I have a 50 mile round trip commute to work each day 85% highway and I don't exceed (or try not to) indicated 75 mph and I get constant mid to upper 50's mpg letting the RPM's run up some also, don't lug the motor. I weigh 215 lbs.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I get now at 36k / miles:
50 ~ 67 around town with minimal stop & go traffic.
At backroad speeds ( 50 ~ 65 mph) about 55 mpg usually, same on slow I roads.
"Airing it out" 70 ~ 90 mph I average around 32 ~ 40 mpg.
On a not fun, Gotta get there from Dallas to Monroe, La. ( mine will go 126 according to the GPS) I got less than 28.
Your's sounds normal to me....:wink2:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi guys,

First thank you for all the responses. Great info here!

Some clarifications:

-Yes, I live in Montana, and the bike has been ridden in cold temps now (snowed today and rode too >:))
-In the highway I do at least 80mph, sometimes 90mph (yes I know... I came from a KLR, so the Vstrom is like another dimension in the highway..., so I tend to do above 6k RPMs for half of the time if not 60% of my commute) Again, my whole commute is 15-18 minutes.
-I have stock windscreen in the high position, no side bags.
-I weight about 190lbs... so I am average in that sense.
-Warm-up time: Not much, the bike may run for 2-3 minutes while I get my 2 jackets to ride in the cold dark morning... but that's it. its not a 15 minute warm-up.
-I read the average on the bikes fuel counter, I had heard is pretty accurate... Next tank I will start
keeping track of it.

-Gas: 87 octane (cheap bastard...) I heard using 91, or ethanol free may help MPG?
-Tire pressure: I checked two weeks ago and it was a little low, so I set for about 40psi in the back, and 35 front. Would increase to 42 Rear, and 38 back.
-I normally keep the RPMs between 3k-6k.
-I will check the air filter.
-In the city I dont have many stop-go situations... maybe about 5-6 stops and gos

-Bogfarth: I will try that Liqui Moly Jectron, if you swear by it. I also have Seafoam in the shop that maybe I could try first?
I know the PO was the first owner, and had ridden not much (I bought the bike with 5.600 miles)... so maybe it needs a little clean up.
gdrew: I am pretty sure is the stock sprockets.

SOLUTIONS:

-Maybe the combinations of high speed 80+ MPH and 34-38 F temps is where the problems is. I will try to keep speeds around 70 (5k RPMS) and be easier on the gas.
-I will try the SeaFoam / Jectron treatment.
-I will open the air filter to check it out. Should I install the K&N instead? (I miss how easy to access was my KLR...)

I really appreciate your comments guys! I was getting a little discouraged :crying2:
I will get back to you guys when I get results... Its getting crappy weather here in MT... I still ride if there is not ice, low temps are ok.

Please, if any of you have experienced the same situation as me, please share your experience, I could be missing some factor...:nerd:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
-I meant, I read the MPG in the bike's screen. I will start counting it in numbers after next tank, to see if there is much difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haven't seen this mentioned yet, so... Tires! I went from averaging in the low to mid 50's to the mid 40's after I put on a set of Mitas E07s. As they have worn away the mileage is creeping up, but I still have to really try to get it to break 50 mpg (indicated). I keep them at 33/39 lbs; same as my previous tires.

·
Administrator
13,393 Posts
There really is no point in having it sit there for two minutes unless your bike has cold start issues (and if it'd does something is wrong.) Literally start it an go, although go easy the first few minutes.

87 octane is all your bike needs so no reason to run higher. Try and use Tool Tier gas as it has better attitudes.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 49 Posts