StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I bought a V-Stream windshield off of Ebay a while back for my Wee. I like it so much, I switched it over to my Vee which is my primary bike right now. I was surprised to find that it's made out of polycarbonate, AKA Lexan, which is quite a bit more resistant to impact than acrylic is. In many years of riding, I have yet to experience a large rock hitting my windshield, but if it ever happens, I'd much rather have Lexan between me and the rock over acrylic. Is there any reason that I should NOT have a Lexan windshield that anyone knows of?

Bob

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
You can polish scratches out of acrylic. Polycarbonate, not so much. Best of my knowledge that's about it.

·
Premium Member
2,483 Posts
You can polish scratches out of acrylic. Polycarbonate, not so much. Best of my knowledge that's about it.
Yep. This is my biggest complaint about my Givi Airflow(Polycarbonate), an otherwise great shield. My 05 650 had the Windstrom Manta(Acrylic) and after 122K it would still polish up to near glass like clearness. The Givi shows fine scratches no matter what polish I use.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Polycarbonate can be injection molded. So a lip and attachment points are part of the shield. Acrylic comes in a sheet and can only be shaped by heating. All brackets must be attached after.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Acrylic can be injection moulded.
Impact modified actylic is much stronger than common actylic sheet and is more suitable for use as a motorcycle windshield.
The reason acrylic is used in aftermarket windshields is that it's far easier to form acrylic sheet than polycarbonate sheet and get good results. Acrylic is also less expensive.

·
Registered
83 Posts
A while back I cut down a polycarbonate wind shield. I played around with the scrap piece...Damn that was some tought stuff. Bent it back and forth many times before it finally yielded. I plan to shoot a piece of it on my next range trip... .22 cal, .40cal, and .556

Cut it with a jig saw, 12 tooth blade. Polished with my palm sander. Can't tell I cut it down.

Attachments

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,148 Posts
"I won't ride behind anything but a polycarbonate windshield"!

So, you won't ride a bike without a full coverage windshield? No dirt bikes, no naked Ducatis or sport bikes?

I wrote this because I hear it some in my business. Yes, polycarbonate is more impact resistant. But there are much better grades of acrylic that the manufacturers of poly screens don't want to mention when comparing the differences. We use "cast" acrylic which is an impact modified acrylic with much better optics, chemical resistance, uv damage resistance, scratch resistance than polycarbonate. I have shot it with a gun and it got a hole in it....but certainly didn't shatter like the videos I have seen!

Polycarbonate MUST have a scratch resistant coating or it will scratch very easily. With the coating it is less apt to scratch.....but you CANNOT polish a scratch or pitting on a screen with this coating!

I have had two customers break a Quiet Ride screen so far. Both seen large rocks coming at them. The screen deflected the rocks from them, but damaged the screen. They sure didn't complain about that! I cannot say poly would or would not have cracked in the same impact. But the screen done a good job protection the riders.

Stock screens and some aftermarket screens that are not coated to protect them soon become quite scratched, as polycarbonate is MUCH softer than acrylic.

·
Registered
400 Posts
"I cannot say poly would or would not have cracked in the same impact."

I'll say it: PolyCarb would NOT have cracked. Good stuff!

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,148 Posts
Yes, I agree with most of what they have written.

Unfortunately, there is also some stuff out there biased toward polycarbonate that shows the standard acrylic and how it shatters.

I use high impact/impact modified cast acrylic.

I do NOT agree with their statement about a "flip" at the top of screens. They absolutely did NOT work on my V Strom project. But I dare them to compare their screen to my BMW RT screen with the flip at the top. I already have! Aerodynamics are complex. Too many things effecting air flow to just say something won't work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts