StromTrooper banner

What's your favorite Givi sidecase style?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
I got a set of the E41 sidecases as well. They are great for longer trips. I find that they are too big for many uses though. For example, if you commute to work, consider just a top box. I also find them too big for a weekend trip to visit family. When I do that, I end up with the bags mostly empty.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,040 Posts
I have E 21's because the size looks right for the bike, (IMO) and with many miles on the road I have learned I need a lot less than I think I do.

M

·
0 Posts
I have E 21's because the size looks right for the bike, (IMO) and with many miles on the road I have learned I need a lot less than I think I do.

+1. Precisely why I am looking at the E21's. I saw a set at the Long Beach bike show and they looked kinda flimsy. Have you had any problems? I.E. lid closure issues, etc. Please let me know. I also saw someone had taken some top loading pelican boxes and made a pannier set with the SW Motech racks. That looked good too, but more cash than the 21's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use a set of E21's that switch between bikes. They're great little bags, especially for the price. The can certainly be abused by packing too much/forcing odd sized items in and bending the lid latch connections out of sync, but are otherwise pretty solid and do take a decent beating before giving in. They performed well enough that when the integrity of one was compromised on a rock in the middle of a river crossing, I got another set and now have a single backup.

21 may not seem like much space, but it's enough for months on the road, especially with a topcase/drybag across the back seat.

M

·
0 Posts
I use a set of E21's that switch between bikes. They're great little bags, especially for the price. The can certainly be abused by packing too much/forcing odd sized items in and bending the lid latch connections out of sync, but are otherwise pretty solid and do take a decent beating before giving in. They performed well enough that when the integrity of one was compromised on a rock in the middle of a river crossing, I got another set and now have a single backup.

21 may not seem like much space, but it's enough for months on the road, especially with a topcase/drybag across the back seat.
Thank's Bluesurf. That's the kind of report I'm looking for. Anyone else have real world examples of how good/bad the 21's are?

·
Registered
324 Posts
+1 on the 41's being huge. Maybe really good for two up? Mine came with them already, so I'll make the most of them... I do have a Givi Maxia top case... which is also huge.

Interestingly, when I brought my bike back from Florida in the back of a pickup, we went through a four hour deluge of a rain storm... one of the sidecase had a bit of water it in when I opened it.

I'm not absolutely positive it was latched correctly -- being new to the cases, it's possible that case just wasn't closed right.

One good thing about the really big cases is they increase your rear profile a lot. Not a bad thing.

M

·
0 Posts
Yeah my 41's leak a little too. Not much but some moisture got in after a day long ride in the rain. Most of the time I use Space Bags to get the most of my area and keep things dry. This was the one time I tried the seal on the Givi's and went without space bags. My stuff was wet. :(

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
Anyone have the inside dimensions of the E21s? The exterior is 16.5 x 13.5 x 7.5 but wondering how much is lost. Trying to figure out how many 6-packs they'll hold. :D

M

·
0 Posts
Anyone have the inside dimensions of the E21s? The exterior is 16.5 x 13.5 x 7.5 but wondering how much is lost. Trying to figure out how many 6-packs they'll hold. :D
There's a Wisconsin biker for ya! Tracker I grew up in Oshkosh. Go Packers! Oh, right....;)

·
Registered
180 Posts
E41

I got the E41's as well. I love them. I strongly suggest adding 3M reflective tape to the "fake" reflectors.

V.

·
Premium Member
4,598 Posts
There's a Wisconsin biker for ya! Tracker I grew up in Oshkosh. Go Packers! Oh, right....;)
We do have our priorities. :-D And ya, the Packers went. :(

Not to hijack the thread, but I think you recommended a book, "Sunday Rides on Two Wheels: Motorcycling in Wisconsin", awhile back. Got it for Christmas. Lots of good looking rides in it and several planned for spring and summer. Thanks.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I saw a set at the Long Beach bike show and they looked kinda flimsy. Have you had any problems? I.E. lid closure issues, etc. Please let me know.
I'd say they are "flexible" instead of "flimsy". I fell on some loose gravel, it popped off the bottom bracket, and bent up 90 degrees. It bounced right back into place and nothing broken. Closing the lid requires a little tug to get it into the lock, but after you get the motion down, it's nothing you have to think about.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, I only drink bottled beer, so it might not be a good comparo to Wisconsin beer....

ok, the usable interior space is roughly 16.25 x 12-12.5 x 7-7.25. Not much different from the exterior, but given the top-loading curved nature and interior lock then a little space is lost.

since we're here, a couple pics of the E21's, first on a DR-Z in Mexico and the second of a KLR on a WA ferry. I haven't taken the V on a long enough trip yet to need them, so no pics of the E21's on it.
http://bluesurf.smugmug.com/photos/18717460-M.jpg
http://bluesurf.smugmug.com/photos/79484101-M.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow! What's holding that KLR up?? :)

I posted this poll because I was thinking the E21s are too small. I think what I've read here ghas changed my mind. My Givi side racks come in next week from Twisted Throttle.

I had E360s once on a VFR800. God I loved that bike. Got smacked by a BMW K1200LT with an old guy and his wife on it at the Honda Hoot outside of Knoxville. No one was hurt but the VFR was done...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow! What's holding that KLR up?? :)

I posted this poll because I was thinking the E21s are too small. I think what I've read here ghas changed my mind. My Givi side racks come in next week from Twisted Throttle.
lol, good eyes. A couple of months ago I took that bike on a 5-day camping & scuba trip. On the ferries or parking with the additional gear then even with appropriate packing I had to pull the drybag to the right 4-6inches just to keep the bike from tipping over.

One additional thing that I like about the E21's is simply that I'm not at all concerned about fragging them.

Enjoy the bags and post up pics!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Keyless

we use the E41 with top box E460 and they are bloody xellent

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'm currently running only a top case, but I've seen all manner of luggage systems at various Stromtrooper rides and if/when I get side cases I'll probably go with the E21's. They tuck in nicely, and the style matches the rest of the bike. The larger cases stick out too wide, IMHO.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts