Votes: 5 55.6%
  • ddd

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
There is a truism that given four choices the majority of people will select the third choice and this poll is starting to show that. (Of course by posting this comment I have messed up the answer unless people do the poll before reading all the comments.)

..Tom

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
This isn't really a poll, though. You aren't presenting a question, or asking for a respondent to select between four answers specifically related to the question. It might show that, given a choice between four totally random positions, with no other qualifying information, a majority of the respondents would randomly choose position three. If the poll asked "What is your favorite motorcycle?", and the enumerated responses were A) Suzuki, B) Yamaha, C) Royal Enfield and D) Harley, I don't think that the truism you mentioned would hold true, even if the majority of the respondents didn't know much about motorcycles. Just based on name recognition alone, a non-rider would be more likely to choose a brand he'd actually heard of at some point in his life, which would probably negate choice "C".

Is there some study that shows that in a poll with a specific question with a choice of four responses related to the question, the majority of respondents will randomly choose "C"?

·
Super Moderator
4,510 Posts
Or it could be that Dirt_Dad is considering posting a poll and has come to the Testing Grounds to test how to post one. More to follow? :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Our choices are: Automotive Association of America, Better Business Bureau, Civilian Conservation Corp and 3D. What is the question?

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Or it could be that Dirt_Dad is considering posting a poll and has come to the Testing Grounds to test how to post one. More to follow? :grin2:
Yea but some us of have been bored and we're busy making something totally meaningless out of nothing.

(Real reason is the system wouldn't let him create a poll for some reason.)

..Tom

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
RC: I should have said given a choice to pick a number from one to four, three is the number most likely to be chosen. I got the details mixed up.

I'm sure it is totally not true if there is any actual meaningful value attached to the choices.

..Tom

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea but some us of have been bored and we're busy making something totally meaningless out of nothing.

(Real reason is the system wouldn't let him create a poll for some reason.)

..Tom

So true, so far the only poll I've been allowed to create is this one here in the Testing Grounds. Super Moderator BigB is on the case. I'm in good hands.

Jon, how are you doing? Are you and dirt mom still riding S10's?

..Tom

Glad you're still out here, Tom. Been way too long. Probably the longest you and I have ever gone without riding together, or even talking.

Yes, and no. Dirt_Mom had some significant shoulder pain this past 4th of July ride up to Lake Placid. After physical therapy then talking to a doc and getting an MRI we learned she was in need of a spinal fusion. We were told a fall could potentially cause her to become paralyzed. Obviously our TransLab ride was put on the back burner.

For one reason or another the surgery was pushed off until just this past Wednesday. Surgeon said it was amazing she was not in excruciating pain, since it was much worse than the MRI suggested. Right now DM is feeling like she was hit by a truck, but she's healing.

She still wants to ride the S10s on the TransLab next year since they are so busy paving it. I'm not so sure I want to throw her into such a tough ride as her first big back. We'll see.

How about you. Do any big rides with your lovely bride this year?

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
Glad you're still out here, Tom. Been way too long. Probably the longest you and I have ever gone without riding together, or even talking.

Yes, and no. Dirt_Mom had some significant shoulder pain this past 4th of July ride up to Lake Placid. After physical therapy then talking to a doc and getting an MRI we learned she was in need of a spinal fusion. We were told a fall could potentially cause her to become paralyzed. Obviously our TransLab ride was put on the back burner.

For one reason or another the surgery was pushed off until just this past Wednesday. Surgeon said it was amazing she was not in excruciating pain, since it was much worse than the MRI suggested. Right now DM is feeling like she was hit by a truck, but she's healing.

She still wants to ride the S10s on the TransLab next year since they are so busy paving it. I'm not so sure I want to throw her into such a tough ride as her first big back. We'll see.

How about you. Do any big rides with your lovely bride this year?
DM's a super woman and a trooper and I sure she'll be up and at it before long!

Sandy and I went to Newfoundland and Labrador this past August. Amazing people and amazing countryside!

Here us a thread were I posted some pics:

https://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/417487-v-tom-newfoundland-labrador-august-2018-a.html

Unfortunately on our second day on the Trans-Lab (but on the final few days of the trip) Sandy was crossing a gravel bank left by a grader and flipped her Triumph Tiger (800 XRX low.). It landed on her foot and broke a couple of bones in her foot and Tibia. I flew her back and because the little triangular part that holds the rear footpegs was bent and is considered part of the frame the bike was written off. She's okay now and has a new 2018 version in the garage but has ridden only briefly around the block. (Her foot is better but still sore.)

Life goes on!

Hope we can get together soon some time and catch up and get some riding in!

..Tom

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
RC: I should have said given a choice to pick a number from one to four, three is the number most likely to be chosen. I got the details mixed up.

I'm sure it is totally not true if there is any actual meaningful value attached to the choices.

..Tom
LOL V-Tom, I think my post stands as a shining example of just how bored I was this afternoon, and I temporarily slipped into my Abe Simpson "Old Man Yelling At Clouds" impersonation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts