StromTrooper banner

Select the proper option at the top of the if you have found loose alternator magnets

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
loose magnets

I have a 2006 1000 with 71,000 miles and recently have had intermintent charging problems, the rotor magnets have moved and some are broken. I ordered a new rotor and stator just to make sure everything is good. Should I JB weld the magnets on the new rotor before it is installed? or has Suzuki used a better adhesive on the new one?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Tore my '06 1000 with 36K miles apart today to inspect the mag's and stator.
All looks good for me but went on and did some preventative JB Weld around the mags to make sure they don't move.
By the way is the gasket reusable?
Mike

·
38,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
If the gasket comes off in on piece it is reusable. If some sticks to one side and some to the other side, it needs to be replaced. the longer it is on, the more likely you'll need a new one.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Thank you sir!
It came of in one piece and looked great that's why I asked.
But got a new one in package sitting here for the next time I guess :thumbup:
Mike

If the gasket comes off in on piece it is reusable. If some sticks to one side and some to the other side, it needs to be replaced. the longer it is on, the more likely you'll need a new one.

·
Super Moderator
16,871 Posts
Tore my '06 1000 with 36K miles apart today to inspect the mag's and stator.
All looks good for me but went on and did some preventative JB Weld around the mags to make sure they don't move.
By the way is the gasket reusable?
Mike
So did you just add some JB Weld along each side of the magnets?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Add me to the list with a 2003 with 32k miles. My bike was charging fine, 14.5 at idle. I took a peek because I'm taking a long trip and didn't want this to catch me on the road.

Will be doing the JB weld fix. What do I do with magnets that have not come loose? Just leave them or try to carefully remove them? I guess if they haven't come off in 11 years, they'll probably stay put.

·
38,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
What do I do with magnets that have not come loose?
If they don't come loose, don't force them. They are fragile. A little JBWeld on the edges where it won't hit anything should make sure they stay put.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would guess these magnets have a N/S polarity. Is it possible to put the magnets back in the wrong way or does it not matter which way N or S is oriented or is it not possible to put them back in wrong?

·
38,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It is possible to put them back the wrong way. A compass can show the difference.

·
Registered
231 Posts
One more 03v added on the loose magnet poll. I JB welded them back in and it went from charging about 13.3(before) to 14.5 at the battery posts at idle. The stator and r/r checked out good. It has about 22000 miles on it. It seemed to be running a lot smoother and quieter when I took it for a spin this evening but that may have been the cool night air. ALSO--I didn't have a compass to check the polarity but I laid them out in the order they were in and I noticed that the ends were attracting one another but if you turned them around, they were pushing away..... Is that an accurate way to make sure you have them turned right?

21 - 40 of 56 Posts