StromTrooper banner

Should Suzuki Remove the "Parking Light"?

• Total voters
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
I guess some cars still have "parking lights" too, but at 61 Y.O., I cannot recall anyone ever using such lights for sitting on the edge of the road. In the US, many drivers turned them on while driving in low light conditions that didn't require the headlamps.

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
Great idea. I'm thinking that the laws requiring this light are outdated. If disabled on the road I would use hazard flashers. If the bike is off the road what is the need for a light? Of course, I do not live in the alleyways of Europe.
And some of the roads in North America have no shoulder. A ditch or trees up to the edge of the traveled way.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Its never been an issue for me as I never use the 'lock' position. I figure there's no point, if someone wants your bike, that isn't going to stop them.

·
Super Moderator
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Using the same reasoning can I assume that you never lock your home when nobody is there?
Every hindrance to an opportunist is a good idea. I dislike leaving my helmet unattended sitting on the seat of my bike, not because of the dollar value, but more because of the inconvenience its loss would cause me.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Its never been an issue for me as I never use the 'lock' position. I figure there's no point, if someone wants your bike, that isn't going to stop them.
Unfortunately for me, it is one of the stipulations of my insurance policy that a steering lock needs to be used. But I have never had an issue with the parking lights, guess I am generally more careful with my post ride bike check

·
Registered
603 Posts
wish there was a fifth option, I voted " no, I may one day need this feature ". I would have preferred to answer " I really don't care as long as the feature is available elsewhere ".

In my opinion, I think the ability to turn the lights on if stuck in a dangerous place (especially at night) is a good option.

·
Super Moderator
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I would suggest that if stuck in a dangerous position you should be using your hazard flashers. Unless you habitually park your bike on the street at night in poorly lit areas I cannot see the need for a night light.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would suggest that if stuck in a dangerous position you should be using your hazard flashers. Unless you habitually park your bike on the street at night in poorly lit areas I cannot see the need for a night light.
I would have to agree with this. Flashers could possibly avoid a vehicle approaching from behind realizing too late "Hey, that thing's not on the road and it's also not moving." Flashers will draw a lot more attention than a steady-state head or tail light.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I left my parking lamps on 1 time for 15 minutes shortly after I got my Vstrom. I just happened to have to go out to the garage, and there they were.
I took full responsibility for my actions,and didnt blame Suzuki for 1) me not being fully aware of this feature, and 2) me not reading the owner's manual.
I never made that mistake again, always look before I leave the garage, or pull the key out of the ignition and re-insert it.

·
Super Moderator
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
No, they do not, but your first responsibility when you break down is to get yourself and your bike to somewhere safe. Or to alert other passers-by to an incident that you have come across. That is where hazard flashers come in.
The night light serves a different function. I believe that function is not so relevant these days.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
You flashers should work with the key turned fully back.

Before I trained myself to turn the key fully then back one click I tried to pull up leaving my one of flashers on, the flash gets your attention far better than just a light, it failed for me so I got into the habit of turning it fully then back.

It has worked for me without fail for many years.

·
Registered
451 Posts
It's a nice feature, but It would be better if the ignition switch had a "push-down-and-turn" or similar access to the parking light. When I first got my wee, I often overshot Lock and went into Park. But if I had my druthers, a 4-way hazard flasher would be better. I understand the '19s have this; now for a 360º compass, toggled with the fuel/voltage switch and readout.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts