StromTrooper banner

Should Suzuki Remove the "Parking Light"?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Over the years almost every V-Strom owner has inadvertently switched his parking light on while locking the handlebars.

Many people have returned to find a dead battery. Should Suzuki dispense with this never used accessory?

·
Super Moderator
4,588 Posts
Suzy aren't the only ones. My Yamaha also has it. I suspect it is required by the relevant country design rules, e.g., in Oz, the Australian Design Rule (ADR) 19 indicates, to me, that a parking lamp is optional for L-series vehicles (bikes, scooters, trikes and quads):

9.3. Optional Lamps

9.3.1. Reversing Lamp (clause 7.2) applicable to LA and LC category vehicles only if fitted with reverse gear.

9.3.2. Front reflex reflector , non-triangular (clause 7.4)

9.3.3. Parking Lamp (clause 7.1)

9.3.4. Rear fog lamps (clause 8.8)

9.3.5. Driving lamps (clause 8.1)

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
The "city light" is not a Suzuki requirement, accessory or fun add on its a compliancy requirement so the bike can be sold in different markets.

The buld can always be unplugged and/or removed if you are fearful of it draining you battery

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
The owners manual says The "P" position is to be used when parked temporarily on the road at night. It's a safety feature.

Back in the olden days when motorcycles used carbide lamps some of us would no doubt blow ourselves up.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I use the city light when I over charge my battery and need to bleed off a few amps. Turn it of for 5 to 10 minutes and the battery level is back to perfect:confused:

·
Super Moderator
4,588 Posts
I just don't see what the point of the parking light feature is.
In some jurisdictions, one is required to show a red light to the rear when parked on a street.

On my previous Range Rover (I haven't checked this one), one could select both rear lights or, by using the blinker switch, right or left when parked.

·
Administrator
13,492 Posts
...or, by using the blinker switch, right or left when parked.
European Parking lights: they don't do drive though for coffee in Europe but rather stop and have a coffee/espresso/etc. When they do that they often sto with half the car on the sidewalk, the other half on the road. On the side of the car that will be on the road they leave the marker lights on. (I sell Porsche for a living so make sure to tell my clients about it when they pick up their cars.)

..Tom

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Seems to me the fork lock is just as useless, though on rare occasions I've used it. It's a very dated design that is still widely used. I'd say let's rethink the whole key thing. Don't some bikes still have a dedicated fork lock on the fork? Have a dedicated switch for the light if it's required.

·
Administrator
5,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great idea. I'm thinking that the laws requiring this light are outdated. If disabled on the road I would use hazard flashers. If the bike is off the road what is the need for a light? Of course, I do not live in the alleyways of Europe.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts