StromTrooper banner

What was the condition of your rotor magnets when your stator failed?

• All magnets appeared equally spaced and glue bond intact

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • 1 or more magnets were loose and had moved

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • 1 or more magnets were found shattered

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Did not look for unequal spacing between magnets

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought it might be interesting to find out how many of you that experienced a failed stator (burned or otherwise failed) found problems with rotor magnets coexistent with the failure.

I am wondering if possibly loose magnets might actually be a root cause of premature stator failure either because the stator gets hotter with the magnets being shifted or because the loose magnet shifted enough to make contact with the stator and shatter the magnet(s).

I did not vote because my stator did not fail yet but I discovered a loose magnet and began to wonder if I am preempting a failure by proactive magnet repair

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,150 Posts
I wish there was a way to add whether you have a 1000 or a 650. While there are stator failures on 650's, they also outsell the 1000 by a large amount. The 650 doesn't suffer from magnet failures. I think the 1000 stator failure rate is exponentially higher than on the 650 and in that fact I think the magnets might be a part of the cause.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Burnt out a stator at about 40k miles. All the magnets were right where they were supposed to be. I added some JB weld between them anyway in the hopes that I could avoid a magnet glue failure. That was 1.5-2 years and 25k miles ago. So far no loose magnets or burnt out stators.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Catastrophic rotor magnet failure

I have an 05 DL1000 V with 29K miles. Battery failed and stator tested low so I ordered a new one from Caltric for $80 (Suzi wants $330!!!). Thought I was good to go until I opened the case and found all but one magnet loose, one fractured and one disintegrated with magnet grinds thruout stator case, probably in crankcase. Yuck. Looks like a major cleanup and repair with who knows what collateral damage.

I don't know if I can get replacement magnets or I have to buy an OEM at extortionist price. Seems like inexcusably poor engineering or worse, planned obsolescence to me. Not happy; wishing I'd bought a Honda.

Any advice (besides buy a Honda)?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well I'm sorry to say you can't buy the magnets separately. So your options are a new one from Suzuki or maybe you get lucky and find a used one. Either way I'd add some extra JB weld on the new rotor to hold the magnets in place.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
used parts source

You could try this guy:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/sale/233945-2006-vee-part-out.html

Few months back another trooper was putting up a "parts" rotor kit which contained some unbroken magnets.

You could try posting in the WTB.

In any case, suggest you follow previous suggestion to fill the gaps between magnets with JB weld even if you decide to go with new rotor.

Stock design is flawed IMO but the JB weld between magnets should be a forever fix if done before the failure can occur.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You will probably want to pull the clutch side cover and remove the oil screen in there to check for debris. It is right under the clutch basket assembly. Might be hard for a magnet particle to migrate that far without sticking to the rotor body but good insurance to check anyway for the price of a gasket.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Loose smashed magnets

05 V: found five of six magnets loose: 1 in place, 3 loose and grouped together against rotor wall, 1 broken (3 pieces), and 1 smashed to ground/shrapnel. This at 29k miles is probably why I'm using oil at 1qt/1500 miles.

Engineering by Homer Simpson. It's my first and last Suzuki.

Anyone have two loose magnets to sell, or a decent used rotor cheap? Already bought a new stator and trying to stop the bleeding.

·
Registered
5 Posts
5 out of 6 magnets loose and a fried coil. JB Weld with a new coil and now reads 14.3—14.8V

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Well, at 170 000 kms, my 06 Vee has stopped charging. Stator looks good but tests fried. Might be salvageable yet if the ground isn't in the windings. All magnets are present and accounted for, but have migrated to one side of the rotor. R/R seems to test OK.

I suspect the magnets began moving thousands of kilometers ago when I noticed my heated gear was drawing things down more than it used to. Whether it contributed to the death of the stator is hard to say. More investigation to come when I get the time.

In the meantime, my new DRZ400S is keeping me happy. :grin2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts