StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen a lot of dumb stuff done to motorcycles by POs (previous owners), but this just might take the cake. It's just so subtle... and evil. I've had this bike since 2009 and just now discovered this.

Before you get too upset, I'll let you know the bike is fine.

After torrential rains earlier this week, my Vee started running really badly on the way home, and then wouldn't run at all. First I wasted a couple of evenings checking the spark plugs (no trapped water) and several electrical connectors (all good).

Then last night, I found this silicone plug:

Blocking this drain hole under the gas cap (sorry for blurrification) -- it's the hole just to the right of the gas cap, surrounded by &^%$#@! surface rust from water pooling here... :

Which led to this much water in the gas: :furious:

WHY WOULD ANYONE PLUG A MUTHASCRATCHIN' DRAIN HOLE??????? WHYYYYYY??? :headbang: :headbang:

Naturally, I had just filled the tank the night before. After pumping out the water, adding Heet to the remaining gas, replacing the fuel filter (external mod), riding around the city for an hour and a half to burn up a couple of gallons, and topping up with fresh gas, the Vee is just fine and dandy. :thumbup:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
That is weirdness.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
first off, kudos for finding the problem and fixing it.

second, i absolutely love that you used a tequila bottle for the water. and why did that catch my eye so early in the morning?.....

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
You didn't notice this plug everytime you put gas in your bike? :confused: Nevertheless... lucky you found it...:thumbup:
Looks like it was originally translucent silicone and would not have been all that obvious given the drain hole is not that big.

And the PO probably had the occasional fuel smell and assumed it was escaping from the cap and out the drain hole.

Or perhaps he just needed the extra capacity above the top of the filler neck to get the extra distance per tank full :confused:
:green_lol::green_lol:

Well spotted bwringer :thumbup:

And FYI, methylated spirits added in the fuel tank will allow water to mix with petrol and then the water goes through with the fuel and gets burned out through the cylinders.
This is something we did on the farms and also with the 4WD's and bikes when fuelling from jerry cans.
A cup full of metho [200ml or 1/3 of a pint] in the bike tanks every three months was sufficient, 500ml in the 4WD's and cars worked for them too.

I learned this trick when working in a mechanical workshop when I was young, it has no detrimental effect on the engine or the fuel system and is not noticeable in engine performance.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
On the subject of fillng the tank, anyone ever drill holes in the filler neck to allow the tank to fill all the way?

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
On the subject of fillng the tank, anyone ever drill holes in the filler neck to allow the tank to fill all the way?
Not on the Strom, but on the SV's we used for endurance racing we'd take a small, sharp chisel and cut slots in the neck flange and then fold the "leaves" back. Much less residue in the tank compared to drilling.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
BMW GS owners are known to do that.

I have thought of doing it on the Wee but I can get 450km+ out of a tank full already so not sure I have the need.

You need to be very careful not to get drill shavings in the tank. :fineprint:

·
Registered
488 Posts
I drilled the neck on my R1100S, probably gave an additional 1/2 gallon

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Sometimes I over fill the tank on my F800 just to watch my Stelvio buddy squirm. It's a PITA to fill the Stelvio and he tries to be oh so careful. I don't mind a bit of sloshed gas.
I'm such a Cro Magnon.
That extra 1/2 gallon would make the capacity to 6 gallons on the wee...A good thing!

·
Registered
86 Posts
"And FYI, methylated spirits added in the fuel tank will allow water to mix with petrol and then the water goes through with the fuel and gets burned out through the cylinders.
This is something we did on the farms and also with the 4WD's and bikes when fuelling from jerry cans.
A cup full of metho [200ml or 1/3 of a pint] in the bike tanks every three months was sufficient, 500ml in the 4WD's and cars worked for them too."

"Methylated spirits" is known as what to us Yanks? Sounds like cough medicine and Scotch but I'm guessing that's not it...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Methylated Spirits is Denatured Alcohol in the US.

Basically Ethanol with a little Methanol added to make it undrinkable.

Nearly all the gas / petrol sold in the US now has 10% Ethanol already in it.

Ian

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You didn't notice this plug everytime you put gas in your bike? :confused: Nevertheless... lucky you found it...:thumbup:

It's pretty well hidden under the cap ring, especially since I always fill up while still seated on the bike due to lingering gimpiness.

Also, it's just one of those things you just wouldn't think to look for, although I will make it a point to check this drain system on other bikes from now on.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Methylated Spirits is Denatured Alcohol in the US.

I ran a diesel fuel station in the Army in Germany 1967-68. In the winter time I had a pallet of gallon cans of that stuff for drivers to put in their tanks to keep the water from clogging the diesel systems.
Ah, the good old days of occupation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts