StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions for off-road maps of the PNW, specifically Oregon? I'm going to be riding some gravel in a few weeks and would like to get an idea of where I'm going.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I get Forest Service district maps, then talk to someone in the local Forest Service district office about the actual road conditions. They'll know if there is a slide, or bridge wash out, or repairs, or just bad conditions. The state lands local offices probably also have similar info on their lands.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The Delorme Gazeteer books are by State and tend to show such roads. You can find them in most outdoor oriented stores. The National Forest Service usually carries up to date road conditions on their websites specific to each forest region.

I always carry the Washington State Gazeteer in my top case, using it as my traveling road bible. I also check out the Forestry websites and then print out more specific Google maps for the road I will be traveling.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
I always carry the Washington State Gazeteer in my top case, using it as my traveling road bible. I also check out the Forestry websites and then print out more specific Google maps for the road I will be traveling.
Exactly what I do, but I usually make color copies of the Gazeteer pages that I might possibly need in the direction I'm going, rather than carry the whole thing. It's big.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Forest Service is the first place I would check. I've done a lot of off road jeeping and the forest service guys have the most current maps. REI would be a good place to check too, I know they have very detailed maps, not sure about larger area maps.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input. I found the Gazetteer at REI, and found some maps at AAA that look decent. I could probably put the Garmin topo maps on my GPS, but between what I'll have, and the other guys will have, I think we'll be covered.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Some excellent maps are "Topographic Recreational Map of ...Idaho ...Western Montana ...Eastern Montana ...Wyoming ...etc." I'm not sure if there is one for Oregon or not, but there should be. You can find them in book stores, Wal-Mart, and some gas stations. These are nice because they are standard fold-up size, very detailed for their size, and focus on recreational sites. They show almost every campground, park, and point of interest that exists. They are not as detailed as the Gazetteer maps, but are more convenient to carry and are inexpensive ($3.95).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts