StromTrooper banner

PNW DL650 Noob

692 Views 8 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  jag44
New 2007 Wee Strom owner from PNW (Whidbey Island).

Riding the Clinton ferry to Whidbey after purchase near Seattle. This is my first bike and I''m lovin' it already. I took the MSF course several weeks ago and have been bumming rides from buddies to get practice. I was torn between the usual suspects - DL650, F650GS and KLR650. I rode a KLR and it was fun, definitely a good trail bike. GS is too expensive for what you get. The Wee on the other hand is cheaper, big and bad but handles nicely on the road, dirt I'm not brave enough yet. I didn't hesitate to buy it once I test rode it though, it is a great machine. Many will say it is not the best first bike but I come from nearly 20 years of mountain bike and road bike riding and racing which I still do a lot. So I have a little bit of experience on two wheels at the limits. I have a lot of respect for the power and have been riding very conservatively. Looking forward to many new adventures.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
3,322 Posts
The Wee handles lightly, like a good mountain bike should! It's kinda like a Turner mountain bike, not the prettiest thing out there, but it works damn well.

· Premium Member
4,092 Posts
I think it's a fine first motorcycle. It's predictable and forgiving, and very competent; you won't outgrow it. Search the forum and bookmark vendors of replacement turn signals; that's the first thing you'll break when you drop it (as we all do when we're new). :biggrinjester:

It's hard to get out of Oak Harbor without being in a caravan of traffic for an hour, but it's worth it. For your first day trip, I highly recommend heading straight east through Deception Pass to hwy 20, for as far as your butt wants to go. You won't be disappointed; it's one of the best motorcycle routes in the state. And don't turn around at Winthrop like a tourist ... there's some beautiful country out east, and it's a lot less crowded.

Welcome aboard. :thumbup:

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the encouragement. HWY 20 to the Methow and then down to Wenatchee is one of my favorite drives in my Vanagon. It should be considerably more fun with the Wee, Washington has an endless supply of fun roads and mountains to explore. Can't wait to get out there.

· Registered
516 Posts
Great first bike, great bike period. I have been riding since 1969 & have had at least 20 bikes. ( Low figure) from 100CC to 1800. This Wee is the most fun all around bike I have had for years.

· Registered
771 Posts
Welcome to the group. Glad to hear that you took the MSF course to get rolling. I actually teach the courses in Bellingham, Burlington and Everett. Did you happen to come through one of my classes? Get good and practiced and then check out the PNW section for group rides. There are some great people around our area that ride V-Stroms and have a lot of valuable lessons to share.

· Registered
249 Posts
Welcome to the forum and I am jealous that you live on Whidbey Island. That is one gorgeous place with Deception Pass and all the ferry boats too and fro. I would love to ride my Wee up there.

Mark J.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.