StromTrooper banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... After two 300 mile runs last week I got my first nail. Plugged it with a kit from the auto store and am having no perceptible leaks. It's an Anakee 2 on the rear so a replacement at 5500 miles would be REAL annoying. I hear it is dangerous to just plug (vs patch) but I'm not handy enough to patch so hoping this works out. Seems counter intuitive to make the hole so much bigger to plug but it worked. Anyone else plug a tire in the center tread and been happy?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
You are going to get the hand wringing nay sayers and those that have gotten thousands of more miles.
I plugged a tire and got a few hundred miles before it failed. Tried to replug and it didn't work...phooey. Tire was new too. I had to get a replacement.
If it hadn't failed I'da kept going.

·
Super Moderator
13,057 Posts
I hear a lot of concerns about plugging tires but I think much depends on what kind of plug you use and how well it is done.

I use the "string" type of plug.. I fixed three nail-holes on my 2006 DL650 and each time rode quite a ways afterwards. (At least one tire was almost brand new and I used it until it wore out) I also fixed a nail hole on my 2007 Porsche Boxster and drove it for 20,000+ km after before wearing out the tire.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I plug them and ride on. But, about 50% of the time they start leaking slightly. I always check pressure in a plugged tire before every ride on it. I have had better luck using 2 plugs at the same time. Put two on the tool in a cross and shove them in. Its pretty hard to do, but the leakage issue I have is much better with 2 plugs.

Nails love my rear tire. The newer the tire the greater the love.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
You'll be alright with just a plug. I plugged countless tires and put many thousands of miles on plugged tires as have lots of other folks I personally know and it's not a huge issue.

·
Registered
362 Posts
One other thing which should be obvious but might get overlooked is if the offending object is still in the tire observe the angle as you pull it out. Then try and follow this angle when inserting the rasp (or reamer) and the plug. I usually get everything ready first and then pull out the object last so that I don't have to remember which way it came out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't think about using the combination of the gooey string patch with glue. Next time. . . The string has been holding the air. Probably not going to trust the V rating now on the open straight aways, but I really needed to slow down anyway.

·
Banned
208 Posts
Plugs are just not allowed in any tyre here in the UK. Same in the rest of Europe. Not even for sale anywhere. I stock up on fresh ones when over in the US. Only consider them as a get you home aid. Only in the rear too.

Tire (tyre over here) dealers won't even patch perfectly good bike tires with the hole in the perfect place. But then you look in the back of the workshop and see a stack of repaired bike tyres to find they do for thier mates and themselves to burn up off road.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Plugs are just not allowed in any tyre here in the UK. Same in the rest of Europe. Not even for sale anywhere. I stock up on fresh ones when over in the US. Only consider them as a get you home aid. Only in the rear too.

Tire (tyre over here) dealers won't even patch perfectly good bike tires with the hole in the perfect place. But then you look in the back of the workshop and see a stack of repaired bike tyres to find they do for thier mates and themselves to burn up off road.
In the US, a plugged tire will not pass inspection.

(That's why, when I have a plugged tire, and I am having the bike inspected, I make sure that I park it, "just so", so the plug can't be detected.)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
In the US, a plugged tire will not pass inspection.

(That's why, when I have a plugged tire, and I am having the bike inspected, I make sure that I park it, "just so", so the plug can't be detected.)
Depends on your state. It's not a federal thing. Hell some states don't even have an inspection program just registration.

I've never had an inspector look close enough at my bike to find a plug anyway.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Plugs and Screws

I found that machine screw holes in tires seem to have a much higher chance of having slow air leaks after patching than straight nail holes.

My guess if you rope or plug a screw hole without reaming the screw hole "clean" you may have a bigger risk for leaks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.